Sign in to follow this  
Jvirtue55

Dodging A Blast Weapon

Yes, as long as the edge of the blast area is within your Agility bonus in metres. If you successfully dodge you are placed outside the nearest edge if the blast area. Basically your character dives away from the explosion. This of course means bigger blasts are harder to dodge, and if you are in an enclosed space and so cannot reach anywhere that is outside the blast radius you cannot dodge.

Can I just ask if you would rule differently for a character wearing a jump pack? JP double your base move (Which is you AGI bonus) but dont seem to make a difference to  getting out the way of blasts. Is that correct? And if so does it seem right? Thanks

Soloman said:

Can I just ask if you would rule differently for a character wearing a jump pack? JP double your base move (Which is you AGI bonus) but dont seem to make a difference to  getting out the way of blasts. Is that correct? And if so does it seem right? Thanks

AS BROTHER BORITHAN SAID YOU CAN GET OUT OF THE WAY OF A BLAST AS LONG AS YOUR NORMAL HALF MOVE(YOUR AGI BONUS) IS ENOUGH TO GET OUT OF SAID BLAST AREA HENCE IF YOU ARE WEARING A JUMP PACK YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING OUT OF THE WAY FROM BLAST RADIUSES ARE DOUBLED(AGI BONUS x2), MEANING MOST OF THE TIME YOUR CHARACTER IS NOT GOING TO HAVE ANY PROBLEM(UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES) GETTING OUT OF THE WAY FROM GRENADES BLASTS( 4 FROM HUMAN SIZED GRENADES, 5 FROM ASTARTES SIZED GRENADES).....AND PERSONALLY I WOULD ALLOW THE JUMP PACK USER TO USE SAID PACK TO ESCAPE BLASTS IN ANY TRIDIMENTIONAL WAY HE FANCIES, AS PER THE FLY(12) FROM THE JUMP PACK......I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU BROTHER...........FOR RUSS ANDTHE ALL FATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou for the swift reply! I'm having a problem convincing my GM as the Jump pack doubles your basic move, not your AGI bonus which makes up your move. But I'll show him your post and hope he relents!

IN HIS GLORIOUS NAME!

Soloman said:

Thankyou for the swift reply! I'm having a problem convincing my GM as the Jump pack doubles your basic move, not your AGI bonus which makes up your move. But I'll show him your post and hope he relents!

IN HIS GLORIOUS NAME!

So would your GM also refuse to figure in the +1 to movement that Power Armour gives (page 27)? I think it'd be more than a little odd, if a jump pack wouldn't enable you to dodge a blast that otherwise you might not be able to dodge. Heck, it's not an auto-dodge, it just gives you a chance to dodge.

Alex

I can see the intention of the rule, that you would only have time you use your natural agility, a character isn't going to have enough time to make use of artifical adjustments to their speed. That it's more to do with how fast they can go sideways rather than forward.

But an experienced pilot with an agile manouvering thrusters (like say a Tau crisis suit or Eldar gear) would be able to boost or flap in all directions (I've got images of many mecha based anime) and an SM jump pack is black carapace controlled. I can't see that a Genestealer can't spring sideways at that point and I can't see why having a bigger stride length wouldn't help (like hulking or bigger characters).

If it's not allowed straight off, what you could have is allow a JP SM to increase the range of a dodge by 1m per degree of succes, up to double, or on two degrees of success double the distance (less calculations but easier in total).

As said above, you can indeed dodge blast weapons. And as said before you can only dodge as far as your movement bonus, so it helps to keep track of the blasts center. You may be close enough to the edge to dodge even if the blast is quite large. If you dodge you have to move your PC to the edge of the blast radius, as long as your movement bonus can take you there (if it can't then you couldn't dodge the blast in the first place >.<).

just a few things to consider:

The hulking move bonus increases your base agility modifier to +1 for movement purposes. So an agi 50 PC would have an agi bonus of 6 for base movement.

Unnatural agility (from an eldar lets say) does NOT affect movement. So an eldar with agi 60 and unnatural agility x2 would have an agi bonus of 12 but for movement its agi bonus counts as 6.

Unnatureal speed (from the genestealers in a certain expansion adventure) only affects movement. It modifies the base agi bonus for movement by the multiplier. So the genestealer with 60 agi, unnatural agi x2 and unnatural speed x2 would have an agi bonus of 12 and an agi bonus for movement of 12. Remembering unnatural characteristics do not affect movement so you would multiply the base agi bonus (6) by 2 instead of the unnatural agi bonus (12).

Jump packs are described as being MIU or hand (think "The Rocketeer") controled. With the training a space marine goes through to use the pack I'm fairly sure its use is pretty much instinctual by the time he's on the battlefield with one.

Walls can make the distance you need to go further than the closest edge. Since the edge of the blast reaches to the wall you can't move out of the radius by dodging in that direction. And, if for instance, your PCs fall into a trap in the floor and 3 grenades fall into the hole and the hole is smaller than the blast radius. Well in that case there's nowhere to dodge to.

You can also dodge behind cover, even if you can't make it out of the blast radius. Say a rock wall is within your move bonus, you can dodge (using a dodge reaction and ending up prone, of course) behind it and as long as the wall is between you and the center of the blast. You'll still get hit by the attack but the wall should provide normal cover (and extra AP) from the attack. Although some attacks may ignore cover, either in the rules, or as determined by your GM. you can also do this with a normal attack, if you pass your dodge test the attack misses. If you fail the attack hits you but at least you have the cover you dodged behind to block some of the damage.