Sign in to follow this  
player1759402

The Dark Peddler

Very interesting. I like the "rasing terror level" ability the Dark Peddler has. However, just to make it more risky, I think shuffling the inventory deck and drawing by random when purchasing would be a better idea so that this herald (or guardian) would not be TOO helpful.

I had thought about only drawing so many randoms when buying from him, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll give that a try this weekend when my group plays. This is still a new and fresh idea that is still going to be test played before I decide to finalize it. Thanks for the input Mi-go hunter. Can't wait to see what others say.

It's quite different from most of the things we've seen so far, I really like this idea. I think it should be reworked a little in order to make him a shadowy figure. IMHO, you should go on with the idea of random items. Or, at least, grant some sort of refresh for the resources, in order that the temptation to see whether there is something new and cool keeps on growing. I like the +1 terror; maybe you can develop a little the idea of giving some extra penalties in case you refuse to buy an item from the dark peddler? Anyway, good work

I like this too. But some mechanism to refresh the inventory might be a good idea. So that after the first investigator has looked through the wares the players can`t just ignore the Peddler if his inventory happens to be full of crap. " OK guys. The peddler has nothing of interest to us. No Elder Signs. No Magical Weapons. Just some random stuff of no importance."

How about. every time you are forced to discard an item place an item of that type onto the Dark Pedllar's stock. He could also gain items with every Terror and/or doom Level increase. Kind of implies that the pedlar gains his wares through other people's misfortune.

I would avoid using the Exhibit deck on him. Part of the point of that deck is really rare powerful items and being able to simply shop for them kind of steals from that.

The only reason I put Exhibit items on him is because out of the 40 or 50 games that I've played I can't once remember anyone getting an Exhibit item and I don't like to see a deck of cards just sitting there just taking up space. I payed for them, I want to use them, and this just helps them get use in our games.

vandoza said:

The only reason I put Exhibit items on him is because out of the 40 or 50 games that I've played I can't once remember anyone getting an Exhibit item and I don't like to see a deck of cards just sitting there just taking up space. I payed for them, I want to use them, and this just helps them get use in our games.

At the very least it should be draw the top card, not draw the card of your choice (or else you can just draw multiple Parchments of The Elder Sign).

Well, the way I have him set up he only starts with three random exhibit items in his inventory and he doesn't add a new card to his inventory unless someone buys an exhibit item which cost $7. Now I know that in a high player # game this could be exploited but it would take alot of money and waste a lot of turns to do so.

Also, just in case some of you have missed the text below his picture, he starts with 10 random spells, 10 random common items, 10 random unique items, and 3 random exhibit items as his starting inventory.

vandoza said:

Well, the way I have him set up he only starts with three random exhibit items in his inventory and he doesn't add a new card to his inventory unless someone buys an exhibit item which cost $7. Now I know that in a high player # game this could be exploited but it would take alot of money and waste a lot of turns to do so.

Also, just in case some of you have missed the text below his picture, he starts with 10 random spells, 10 random common items, 10 random unique items, and 3 random exhibit items as his starting inventory.

That's a bit more balanced I guess.  The price on purchases is high enough that it would be difficult to do except in 5+ player games.

Here's an idea that I come up with to keep his inventory changing a little bit through out the game. His token is a moon symbol, so he moves when a moon mythos card is drawn that way he's not in the same street area the whole game. Now my idea is that everytime he moves, you shuffle and discard either 1 or 3 spells, common items, and unique items from his inventory. Then add either 1 or 3 new spell, common, and unique items back to his inventory. Not exhibit items though (there's just not enough of those to do this with). I'm saying 1 or 3 because I haven't tried this out yet and I'm not sure how many items should be removed and replace yet. It could more or could be less. I don't know.  Now combine this with shuffling and only getting to look at a fixed amount of cards in his inventory and the possibility of never even seeing all his inventory before an item is discarded becomes possible.

Example: He starts with 10 random Unique items. 4 player game. Player 1 goes to the Peddler first turn and wants to buy a Unique item. He first must shuffle the Unique items, then only take the top 5 cards. He buys an item for $2 higher than list price and a new random Item is put in the iventory. Player 2 also goes to the Peddler to look at Unique items. He shuffles and draws top 5. Well, he either get's really lucky and see's the 5 item that player 1 didn't see or most likely, he draws 2 or 3 of the same items that player 1 did. Now the Peddler moves during mythos. Shuffle and discard 3 unique items from his inventory and put 3 random items back. Now some of the items that the players didn't even get to see might have been discarded to the bottom of the unique item deck, which is what I want to happen or atleast have the possibility of that happening. Also, this keeps the Peddler fresh and makes players want to keep dealing with him through out the game.

vandoza said:

Here's an idea that I come up with to keep his inventory changing a little bit through out the game. His token is a moon symbol, so he moves when a moon mythos card is drawn that way he's not in the same street area the whole game. Now my idea is that everytime he moves, you shuffle and discard either 1 or 3 spells, common items, and unique items from his inventory. Then add either 1 or 3 new spell, common, and unique items back to his inventory. Not exhibit items though (there's just not enough of those to do this with). I'm saying 1 or 3 because I haven't tried this out yet and I'm not sure how many items should be removed and replace yet. It could more or could be less. I don't know.  Now combine this with shuffling and only getting to look at a fixed amount of cards in his inventory and the possibility of never even seeing all his inventory before an item is discarded becomes possible.

Example: He starts with 10 random Unique items. 4 player game. Player 1 goes to the Peddler first turn and wants to buy a Unique item. He first must shuffle the Unique items, then only take the top 5 cards. He buys an item for $2 higher than list price and a new random Item is put in the iventory. Player 2 also goes to the Peddler to look at Unique items. He shuffles and draws top 5. Well, he either get's really lucky and see's the 5 item that player 1 didn't see or most likely, he draws 2 or 3 of the same items that player 1 did. Now the Peddler moves during mythos. Shuffle and discard 3 unique items from his inventory and put 3 random items back. Now some of the items that the players didn't even get to see might have been discarded to the bottom of the unique item deck, which is what I want to happen or atleast have the possibility of that happening. Also, this keeps the Peddler fresh and makes players want to keep dealing with him through out the game.

My biggest problem with that setup is that part of the appeal of dealing with the Peddlar is having a larger choice but at a higher cost (and risk if you can't afford it). Being able to look at 5 for a higher price (and a possible Terror level increase) vs. looking at 3 at Curiositie Shoppe at list price (with no risk of terror) makes me feel less likely to look at his inventory. His inventory should constantly change. But I can look at 3 items at Curiositie Shoppe. If I can't afford one there, the worse that can happen is a good item gets discarded to the bottom of the deck. And you shouldn't be shopping there without at least $5 anyway. Granted, if the Terror level reaches 6, that shop is closed, and the peddlar may be your only reliable source of Unique items.

The peddlar made it so you'd have to spend more money, but got a bigger selection to choose from. 5 is still more, but I'm not sure it's enough to make me choose him over the shop, because of his higher price and risk. There could be some way to counter that ..... like a possible way to increase the number of items you can look at. Maybe pay 1 Sanity or Stamina to draw additional cards, or something like that. Some way to get to see more of his stuff. Afterall, his items will change through the course of the game anyway by your new proposed changes, unless by some fluke, Moon monsters never move.

The peddlar is a great addition to the games we played, and can be really helpful. But as we found out in our last game, he can make things too easy if he gets stacked with items. You considered making the cards change after dealing with him? If player A purchases an item, the unpurchased items are shuffled, and x amount are then discarded, and that same amount are then drawn and added to his inventory? Player B looks but can't afford anything, the items are shuffled, and x amount are then discarded, and that same amount are then drawn and added to his inventory. That might could even replace the moon movement trigger to change his inventory, since that might get fiddly or even slow the game down after a while. Either way, his items would change though, and that's what you want.

Anyway, he needs a scarecrow  gran_risa.gif

Cimmerz said:

Cimmerz said:

My biggest problem with that setup is that part of the appeal of dealing with the Peddlar is having a larger choice but at a higher cost (and risk if you can't afford it). Being able to look at 5 for a higher price (and a possible Terror level increase) vs. looking at 3 at Curiositie Shoppe at list price (with no risk of terror) makes me feel less likely to look at his inventory. His inventory should constantly change. But I can look at 3 items at Curiositie Shoppe. If I can't afford one there, the worse that can happen is a good item gets discarded to the bottom of the deck. And you shouldn't be shopping there without at least $5 anyway. Granted, if the Terror level reaches 6, that shop is closed, and the peddlar may be your only reliable source of Unique items.

The peddlar made it so you'd have to spend more money, but got a bigger selection to choose from. 5 is still more, but I'm not sure it's enough to make me choose him over the shop, because of his higher price and risk. There could be some way to counter that ..... like a possible way to increase the number of items you can look at. Maybe pay 1 Sanity or Stamina to draw additional cards, or something like that. Some way to get to see more of his stuff. Afterall, his items will change through the course of the game anyway by your new proposed changes, unless by some fluke, Moon monsters never move.

The peddlar is a great addition to the games we played, and can be really helpful. But as we found out in our last game, he can make things too easy if he gets stacked with items. You considered making the cards change after dealing with him? If player A purchases an item, the unpurchased items are shuffled, and x amount are then discarded, and that same amount are then drawn and added to his inventory? Player B looks but can't afford anything, the items are shuffled, and x amount are then discarded, and that same amount are then drawn and added to his inventory. That might could even replace the moon movement trigger to change his inventory, since that might get fiddly or even slow the game down after a while. Either way, his items would change though, and that's what you want.

Anyway, he needs a scarecrow  gran_risa.gif

I can see what your saying about the curiositie shoppe, so maybe drawing only 5 is a bad thing, but I think we need to try changing his iventory when he moves first and if that doesn't work out, we can try changing his iventory every time someone deals with him. The idea of paying sanity or stamina to look at more cards is interesting also. Maybe we can deliberate more on that at out next session.

As far as giving him a scarecrow, no. How 'bout I just let him try to be an actor in crappy b-movies in a 3 day long game of Hollywood Movie Stars. partido_risa.gif

I love the idea of this. It kinda has the same cool "roving the streets" thing that The Carnival from another thread has.

But would you mind sharing where to find the awesome illustration, so I can make my own version of him?