Sign in to follow this  
Lightbringer

Grey Knights are up....

Direach said:

Personally, I have always hated the 'exposed pilot battlesuit' design since the Eldar War Walker. It made sense in 'Aliens', since the power loader was not intended for combat, but for a military design it makes as much sense as a captain's wheel on the hull of a main battle tank.

Well the Deathknight pilot is still wearing Terminator Tactical Dreadnaught armour - so he's hardly exposed to the elements.

It's a fab looking kit btw.

Direach said:

They've indicated before in fluff that Grey Knights have an aversion to entombing stricken brothers in Dreadnoughts, and it is only done in very rare cases. The Dreadknight is a compromise design that allows a living Grey Knight to go toe-to-toe with monstrous foes and still be able to operate normally when that level of weaponry is not needed.

Personally, I have always hated the 'exposed pilot battlesuit' design since the Eldar War Walker. It made sense in 'Aliens', since the power loader was not intended for combat, but for a military design it makes as much sense as a captain's wheel on the hull of a main battle tank.

That's fair enough, clearly not so adverse as to not release a GK dreanought model from FW but there you go.

But their power armour works by picking up brain signals, that just needs to be extrapolated up to dreadnought rather than terminator armour. Surely that is much better interface, than even the best pilots using a pair of joysticks. I some how doubt it's going to be initiative 1 in the stats.

And still, they don't need to be stuck on the front of it.

I'm not either.  I just saw it and thought it was funy is all.  I'll probably be a hater when I go up against them.

But yeah Siranui. There is three.  I was amazed too.  I saw the beginning of it on HBO, and then I strangely don't remember the rest either.  I do remember something about giant robots shooting and wasting ammo like orks though.

Apparently there's more than one Highlander film, too. And more than three Star Wars ones. I even heard a rumour that they made some odd-numbered ones for Star trek. I think it's all probably lies though. 

Siranui said:

Apparently there's more than one Highlander film, too. And more than three Star Wars ones. I even heard a rumour that they made some odd-numbered ones for Star trek. I think it's all probably lies though. 

Probably just internet urban legends.

Direach said:

Personally, I have always hated the 'exposed pilot battlesuit' design since the Eldar War Walker

Back in 2nd Edition, the "exposed pilot" was the toughest part of the War Walker - the pilot was protected by a powerful force field (2+ unmodifiable save).

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Direach said:

Personally, I have always hated the 'exposed pilot battlesuit' design since the Eldar War Walker

Back in 2nd Edition, the "exposed pilot" was the toughest part of the War Walker - the pilot was protected by a powerful force field (2+ unmodifiable save).

Only against ranged attacks.  The power field did nothing against hand to hand attacks.

The pilot in question is wearing terminator armor, and is protected by a force field. He's also capable of using his psychic powers unlike someone who's trapped inside a vehicle like a Land Raider. Other than a small quibble with the lack of leg bracing I personally find the miniature acceptable for what it's supposed to be.

Sure I'd like a more knight titan style thing, or some weird pre heresy robot but the dreadknight is kind of kewl on its own. Plus its expanding a bit on the universe rather than just rehashing material. Which is important with a force that began as little more than a sidenote group consisting of maybe five guys, all in the same armor and weapons whom you could only bring in when fighting a chaos force.

'sides...it sure as heck beats molded on nipples for your elite trooper's armor.

Nerd King said:

Every Grey Knight unit is a Psyker - even the techmarine.

Librarians have a psychic power that allows them to summon a vehicle which has a particular upgrade - so you can "whistle" for your Stormraven/Dreadnaught/Land Raider etc

Well, they have long all been psykers so that's just confirming to what is already known.

Burble... a psychic power that makes a vehicle appear? Does GW (or Matt Ward?) have something about vehicles that appear in stupid ways? First we have the Land Raiders that plummet out of the sky, and now we have vehicles that zap into existance.

borithan said:

The rumours also say you will be able to field jokearo, in units of up to 10. Though I really have to doubt this is true.

Confirmed, you can have jokearo weaponsmiths in your inquisitorial henchmen squads. You can also choose from ordo xenos, hereticus and malleus inquisitors for your HQ slots which lets you take groups of henchmen without using a troops slot on them(one per inquisitor 3-12 models strong)

I'm curious as to how they shoehorned that one in. Since the fluff on the jokearo was that they were aloof and avoided the other races except for the occasional trade interaction.

I suppose it'll be another retcon, like how the Rhino suddenly became rare and hard to manufacture (I don't like that one myself).

Rare and hard to manufacture in the imperium just means there's a few million of them rather than a few kabillion. There's at least five major factions of mankind that use rhinos after all.

AS for the jokaero fluff. They included it but didn't limit their numbers in the henchmen warband. So the fluff hasn't changed, simply the army building options aren't excessively restricted. Since there's a level of detachment between game and lore that's fine by me. Otherwise we'd only get codex: Movie marines, Codex: Dan Abnett's guard, and Codex: Things movie marines kill when Dan Abnett's guard is on leave.

There's also only one model for them so it's not like you'll see entire armies of orange apes.

You probably will see armies made up of two five man GK squads, a grand master or two, and as many paladins and Dreadknights as the player can fit in. But, we'll see what comes when the codex releases. Having had a look at it last night I'm currently weighing options on what to add to my older models to bring them up to date with as few new purchases as possible.

Blood Pact said:

I suppose it'll be another retcon, like how the Rhino suddenly became rare and hard to manufacture (I don't like that one myself).

Well, given that the retcon itself (which can be found in Codex: Space Marines, on page 76) explains that the Rhino used to be abundant but the knowledge to construct it has become increasingly rare (it's not difficult to manufacture, the text points out how easy it is to build... if you know how, but fewer and fewer people know how). It's not an absolute retcon, but one that acknowledges the past.

And, frankly, the Rhino was only ever described as "the most commonly-used vehicle in the Imperium" because it was the only vehicle kit GW produced and they wanted to sell lots of it. GW would be given hell if they did that today (indeed, they did similar with the WFB Giant, making it available as a mercenary to pretty much everyone... and got nothing but cynical complaining from the vocal community), but because it happened some two decades ago, it only gets nostalgic recollection instead.

George Labour said:

Rare and hard to manufacture in the imperium just means there's a few million of them rather than a few kabillion. There's at least five major factions of mankind that use rhinos after all.

AS for the jokaero fluff. They included it but didn't limit their numbers in the henchmen warband. So the fluff hasn't changed, simply the army building options aren't excessively restricted. Since there's a level of detachment between game and lore that's fine by me. Otherwise we'd only get codex: Movie marines, Codex: Dan Abnett's guard, and Codex: Things movie marines kill when Dan Abnett's guard is on leave.

There's also only one model for them so it's not like you'll see entire armies of orange apes.

You probably will see armies made up of two five man GK squads, a grand master or two, and as many paladins and Dreadknights as the player can fit in. But, we'll see what comes when the codex releases. Having had a look at it last night I'm currently weighing options on what to add to my older models to bring them up to date with as few new purchases as possible.

Don't count out Purgation Squads.  I'd expect at least one, filled to the brim with Psycannons, in any decently-sized army.

Though I'm aware the point costs may not be the same, I made a sample army of Grey Knights at 1500.  I had... 23 models.  At 2000, I'll probably end up at 29 models.

Elite army indeed!

A grey knight with halberd (which most of the metal models carry) clocks in at the same points cost as its current incarnation. The only big changes were in adding more types of weapons and options, transports, and I think the psycannon got cheaper. Oh, and you can make every stormbolter strength 5 for only a couple extra points per model. So you're looking at about 250 points for a full 10 man PA squad with a good loadout of options. 250 or so for a grandmaster with some nice toys (approximating there as there's a lot to do with them), and termies will go from 300 or so all the way up to 800+ points depending on squad size and type of terminator. 

So yeah...My early 1500 point build clocks in at 35 models total (including rhinos) but I haven'treally sat down with the book, nor have I played games with it.

Still I'm excited as it gives me not only an excuse to break out one of my first loves of 40k again, but will also get me to buy models I can then repurpose for my 40k RPGs like Rogue Trader.

OOO new Deathwatch mission. Inquisitor sends the team to recover a 'orange simian containing vital technical data' from the tau or some dark mechanicus blokes. He doesn't bother to tell the kill team it's a jokaero and they may not figure it out until he's snuck around and modified the Assault marine's chainsword so it now also shoots lightning.  

George Labour said:

Urg... Joekaro as a 'Allied to the Imperium' race. Urg.

Real GK armies have 6 figures in them!

I rather like Abnett's guard. If you have a full-time PDF of a few million, and every 25 years you cull off the best couple of thousand troops, you get some pretty darned good men. Certainly not the chaff portrayed by some fluff. For reference, there are 20,000,000 full-time soldiers on our planet. taking 20,000 would equate to taking the top 0.1% of them. Which is basically going to mean that you create the finest of the world's special forces. And then you spend 6 months training them some more as you ship it half-way across the galaxy.

It makes no logistic sense for the guard to consist of inept buffoons, nor for the Imperium to spend vast amounts of effort shifting troops vast instersteller distances. Nor do you spend years training and transporting troops to waste them within minutes of them arriving in the combat zone, by sending them running over minefields. Guard should be competant, well motivated professionals. PDF are the chaff.

Yes, Abnett's guard are an extremely strong representation of how the guard work, I think. They are extremely skilled, but they suffer significant casualties with each engagement, and they are, for the most part, pitched against either inferior cult forces, inferior PDF-equivalent chaotic garrison forces, or Guard-level forces (the Blood Pact, Sons of Sek). We have yet to see how they cope against large numbers of truly elite forces. Badly, one imagines.  

Lightbringer said:

Yes, Abnett's guard are an extremely strong representation of how the guard work, I think. They are extremely skilled, but they suffer significant casualties with each engagement, and they are, for the most part, pitched against either inferior cult forces, inferior PDF-equivalent chaotic garrison forces, or Guard-level forces (the Blood Pact, Sons of Sek). We have yet to see how they cope against large numbers of truly elite forces. Badly, one imagines.  

Don't how, of all armies, the Jokero have ended up in the GK codex. But interesting to see models finally though.

With IG, on the TT as well as the fluff, you have to bear in mind that the stars are a handfull in countless billions.

matrix loading mechs, orangutan tech adepts, grey knight warp wraith with daemon weapon... OK...

Blood Angels and Necron being Best Friends Forever dont sound so bad now...

Since i dislike Necrons i hope that mr.Ward will make their Dex.

Face Eater said:

Don't how, of all armies, the Jokero have ended up in the GK codex. But interesting to see models finally though.

Yes, it's odd. It may be that they started off with an overall "Inquisition and Chambers Militant" Codex, but it ended up getting watered down to "Grey Knights with extras." I say this without having read the book yet, so don't take it that I'm criticising it!

I would personally had been hoping for a while for a single codex containing subsidiary army lists for the following:

(1) An Ordo Xenos Army list for puritan factions, with Deathwatch/Imperial Guard/Space Marines/Arbites as troop choices

(2) An Ordo Xenos Army list for radical factions, with Imperial Guard/Space Marines/Arbites as troop choices and some xenos henchmen and special weapons

(3) An Ordo Malleus Army list for Puritan factions, with Grey Knights/Imperial Guard/Space Marines/Arbites as troop choices

(4) An Ordo Malleus Army list for radical factions, with Imperial Guard/Space Marines/Arbites as troop choices and Daemonhosts as henchmen and daemonic special weapons

(5) An Ordo Hereticus Army list for puritan factions, with Sororitas/Imperial Guard/Space Marines/Arbites as troop choices

(6) An Ordo Hereticus Army list for radical factions, with Imperial Guard/Space Marines/Arbites as troop choices and some psyker henchmen and special weapons

Actually, thinking it through, you wouldn't need six army lists. You could just have troop entries for Deathwatch, Sororitas, and Grey Knights, rules for a variety of henchmen and allies, and a "choose your faction" section for the Inquisitor. The faction chosen would determine what allies your Inquisitor could call upon. Plus of course, you'd need the flexibility to have individual armies without an attached Inquisitor, if you just wanted to run a Deathwatch only army, for example. 

All eminently do-able, and actually close to what the old Daemonhunters and Witchunters codex were like. But I agree, Jokaero in a Grey Knight Codex is surprising.