Sign in to follow this  
Fenrisnorth

How to make money

I love the way DH works in the starting phases. I think the system allow for truly interesting scenarios. A bunch of no-name run of the mill guys, getting picked for work in an Inquisitorial acolyte-cell because they have shown SOMETHING that just happened to catch the eye of an Inquisitor. 

I don't believe that  inquisitors make acolyte-cells for no purpose. They are so expendable in the early stages that the way I see it they are put together to serve one purpose. If the Inquisitor wants some info on a local cult, but can't spare any of his retinue or doesn't wanna risk exposure, he assembles a group of acolytes and give them a mission. If it works it works, if not, who cares?

Purest coincidence placed you in a very precarious situation and now you've got to live with it.

Then of course there's also the possibility that the Inquisitor in question prefers to set up potential acolyte networks in advance. I can easily imagine some scummer being raised by his parents (serfs in service of the inquisition) so that he will be prime material for the inquisitorial meat-grinder when he reaches military-age.

In DH the opportunities are endless -because- you start out being a nobody. At least IMO.

You could have an acolyte-cell that doesn't know it is working for the inquisition. They only get to know that later on :P.

That is of course unless you have a sororitas or psyker on the team XD. The fighting arm of the Ecclesiarchy are not put into groups with a death-cultist and a ganger, and be expected to find a drug-runner gang in some greasy underhive. And neither are the Imperium's firestarting, warpdabbling maniacs.

Nearyn said:

I don't believe that  inquisitors make acolyte-cells for no purpose. They are so expendable in the early stages that the way I see it they are put together to serve one purpose. If the Inquisitor wants some info on a local cult, but can't spare any of his retinue or doesn't wanna risk exposure, he assembles a group of acolytes and give them a mission. If it works it works, if not, who cares?

I imagine that low level cells have a similar job to a canary in a coalmine.

One of best parts of the game to me is figuring out how to survive being the canary with only a lasgun, some flak armor(or a tattered leather vest) and a lot of careful planning. In my most recent game as a noble born scum I spent no more then 30 throne gelt for an entire mission relying entirely on the fact that I could charm people into getting my group what was needed.

Lynata said:

borithan said:

But they aren't the Emperor's finest. At least at the beginning. They are the dregs of humanity the Inquisitor (or more likely one of his lackeys) has seen some possible potential in. Their often trouble makers, whose independent streak will either get them very quickly into trouble, or allow them to make great investigators.

That depends very heavily on the actual career. There are worlds between some underhive Scum or some upstart Assassin and a Ministorum Cleric or Arbites. DH is a bit problematic in that it lumps all those different careers into one group and then attempts to treat them equally. Nothing that a clever GM cannot work around, though. In my opinion, such things need to be examined for each Cell individually based on what kind of characters it is made up of.

Yes, there are social distinctions between Scum and Abitrators but every character is a very low level, and something has set them apart from other is in their position (unless they are just a generic hireling, but that's most likely for the hired muscle, such as the Guardsman). Now, it's certainly not the only thing that might set them apart, but one of the possible things mentioned in the rulebook (and it fits with the role of an Inquisitor generally) is that they have a more independent, questioning streak. Very likely to get them into trouble (or already have got them into trouble) in general 40k society, but very useful for the pawns of an Inquisitor.

Basically, yes, an Arbitrator is distinctly higher in the social order than a Scum, but a rank 1 Arbitrator is still small fry. He does not qualify as being one of the Emperor's finest in anyway.

On the Sister of Battle in BoM: I was not keen on that decision at all. I preferred the previous route of it being Rank 3 (or 4?) before you even qualified to call yourself a Sister of Battle. A rank 1 member of the Sisterhood should just be a lowly trainee (as yes, they certainly are skilled and could qualify as being among the Emperor's finest... and so are unsuitable for a Rank 1 character).

And as others have said, the low level nature of Dark Heresy is part of the charm in my mind. I like the fact you start as a nobody, but by then end you are a powerhouse in your particular field. I am much less keen on Rogue Trade exactly because you start off so powerful... there are fewer places to go, aside from amassing wealth. Deathwatch has a similar problem. Now, I accept some people wanted to play "Eisenhorn and his Retinue: The RPG" or something similar, but I find the way they went in the end as far more evocative of the setting (which is partly why I am a bit irritated with the route FFG is taking the game, ie towards the more powerful, heroic route).

More like, "Find the cultists, and it doesn't matter as much if you die in the process. "  

There's one mission where you work with a space marine, and he specificly states. "we were all chosen for this because we are all expendable." 

Simrobert2001 said:

More like, "Find the cultists, and it doesn't matter as much if you die in the process. "  

There's one mission where you work with a space marine, and he specificly states. "we were all chosen for this because we are all expendable." 

That the one with the spacehulk?