Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Nocturne

Painted Minis? Show off your work!

Hey guys. i was thinking of painting the minis that come with the game to help with the atmosphere of play. Wondering if anyone has completed this task. Thought this would be a cool way to show off your work.

Let's see em'!

Thanks Brine for fixing the image and insanimo for the comment. It's been a long time since I've painted any figures and I've never painted a on plastic mini before. So far I'm VERY pleased with the outcome and will be painting the rest shortly.

I'm using some old Vallejo acrylic paints from 6+ years ago. I just picked up a few extra and replacement colors from the Citadel line that are also acrylic. The Warhammer paints should work fine. Use whatever you're comfortable working with.

Don't you think the minis for the hounds of Tindalos look kind of ... odd ?
When I opened the box for the first time, of course I rushed to see what the creatures looked like:
-nice Chtonians emerging from the ground.
 -winged bugs with canisters, these have to be Mi-Gos.
-huge tentacled monstrosities, they're legged Shoggoths.
-AAhh, twisted pangolins dancing the macarena, this has to be something new ... wait ... NO WAY !!!!

Don't know what I expected, probably something closer to the pic in my old Chtulhu monster book. Since the Hounds of Tindalos always had a special place in my heart, I started to look for "count-as".
Grenadier & RAFM models seemed a bit old-style and unthreatening , tried with a tiger of Dirz from Rackham ... then realized the solution was right on my desk :  GW's recent Khymera (fortunately, it was yet unpainted when I realized this).

Hound of Tindalos

In fact, this model is thematically so close that the hounds may well be the main inspiration behind this concept ...

Flyinghoof said:

I'm using some old Vallejo acrylic paints from 6+ years ago. I just picked up a few extra and replacement colors from the Citadel line that are also acrylic. The Warhammer paints should work fine. Use whatever you're comfortable working with.

Make SURE that you clean the figs first, though. I've started working on some of mine, and did a decent job of getting them cleaned off, but the mold release agent that FFG used still created problems with the paint just running off.

Have to spend more time scrubbing the figures before I continue :P

Started mine few days ago. I am not a pro, not even close to beaing average at this. In fact those are my first minis that I've been paintin ever. I'm mainly using dry brush, because of the effects that gives me - kind of rugged, dark and dirty. I like it that way, it introduces specific visual effect to the game (so I think) and playing feels more like a horror story now. My co-players think the same :)

Here are two samples. Sorry about the quality of pics, had nothing better on me to take them with, but just a plain mobile phone.

26062011017.jpg26062011018.jpg

26062011019.jpg26062011020.jpg

Anyway, hope to finish all the human characters soon and show them to you. I will also take some pics with better camera.

RAFM Mi-Go Replacements

RAFM Mi-Go replacements

pic948429_md.jpg

Replacement Cultists (Hasslefree Miniatures)

pic947164_md.jpg

Three (of four) of replacement zombies.

pic940423_md.jpg

Cthonian

pic945736_md.jpg

Modified Shoggoth, no silly legs!  Not the best picture, but all I have.

Will post some more pics when I get round to taking them.  I've finished all the monsters now, just finishing off the investigators.  I replaced the zombies, mi-go, maniacs, cultists and cult leaders for various reasons.  I also plan to replace the witches (witches coven from West Winds Vampire Wars range) and maybe the hounds (especially like the GW mini mentioned a few posts above, although it sounds a bit big on the GW site).

Nakarashi said:

Flyinghoof said:

Make SURE that you clean the figs first, though. I've started working on some of mine, and did a decent job of getting them cleaned off, but the mold release agent that FFG used still created problems with the paint just running off.

Have to spend more time scrubbing the figures before I continue :P

Did you prime the minis before attempting to paint them?  Prime them and the paint won't run off.

Nyogtha: AMAZING Mi-gos! very Guillermo del Toro, really creepy.  The cultist are more scary too. The zombies are zombies, not some hippie jesus christ resucited like the ones that came in the box (with all respect!)

And excellent idea on removing the legs of the shoggoths aplauso.gif

FrostyWolf: love your colors!

Unfortunally, my minis are an horror out-of-this-world and your capacity to bear

@Mr. K....for the flesh color I used Citadels Elf Flesh. After a black primer I would first apply a brown (Vallejo 983) to all areas that would be flesh colored. Then I would mix in the Elf Flesh with the brown for another layer then another just with the Elf Flesh on its own. I probably could have skipped a layer by using a wash but I didn't have any on hand at the time.