Sign in to follow this  
Svarun2

A question about supremacy bonus..

When resolving orders, is there a time frame where you need to declare that you are using supremacy ... So in my case ... one player attacked the other player with conquer and he had a a much bigger army than the defender- which had a stronghold present... So the attacker was extra unlucky and missed most of the attacks, and then he decided that he is using the supremacy bonus of conquer in mid battle so he could win... Is that a legal action or do you have to declare supremacy before your order is being executed?  

I hope i made the question clear enough :) 

Thx 

svarun said:

When resolving orders, is there a time frame where you need to declare that you are using supremacy ... So in my case ... one player attacked the other player with conquer and he had a a much bigger army than the defender- which had a stronghold present... So the attacker was extra unlucky and missed most of the attacks, and then he decided that he is using the supremacy bonus of conquer in mid battle so he could win... Is that a legal action or do you have to declare supremacy before your order is being executed?  

In general, the supremacy bonus is something that happens as long as the correct condition is met (ie: this order is the highest order you've played so far)

Some supremacy bonuses can be voluntarily waived (you're not required to make a second move with Mobility if you don't want to) but it's not a choice you have to make at any given point during your turn.  In particular, as long as it's still your turn I don't see any reason why you couldn't change your mind if you found a reason to use a bonus you didn't think you'd need.

This example of Conquest is perhaps not the best.  This is a bonus you get, period.  You don't suffer any penalty for having it when you don't need it, so I don't see any reason why a player would choose not to use it.  There's certainly nothing in the rules that says "if you waive this bonus you can't change your mind later."  In fact, there's nothing in the rules that even says you CAN waive it.  You get it, and if it ends up not mattering then it doesn't matter.  If it ends up mattering, then it matters.  It's there no matter what.

In conclusion, the attacker was perfectly justified in claiming a bonus he had access to, even if he didn't think he'd need when the combat began.

I agree with Steve; you don't have to decide to use a Supremacy bonus or not until the time comes where it matters.

- Strategize - You don't draw cards until the primary is completed; thus, at that time you COULD choose not to (though the cases where you'd not want to are limited)

- Mobilize - You don't have to decide if you want to use a second activation until after the first is done.

- Conquer - You really don't have to decide to use it until you are counting strength at the END of battle.

- Harvest - You do the supremacy after the primary, so you don't have to decide until after you've harvested resources.

- Recruit - You don't have to choose a second dial until after you are done with the first dial.

- Rally Support - You don't have to choose to recruit a new hero until after you've collected from all your cities.

- Acquire Power - You don't have to decide to claim a Title until after you've collected influence.

- Fortify - N/A, no supremacy.

Note, too, that if using the Brilliant Maneuver card to activate a Supremacy, you don't have to play it until the Supremacy bonus would be used.  Specifically, for instance, with Conquer, you don't have to play Brilliant Maneuver until you start counting strength; if you don't need it at that point, you can save the card.