Sign in to follow this  
TheHunterBoy

(Un)Official Petition for new Descent stuff

+1     I'm on board... although I've had me too much Dwarven brew to even think about starting to list the stuff I'd like to see. In any event, as long as the new gear is well designed and executed, please bring it on! 

Ahhh, here's me bearded lass with another flagon of Thorgrim Skullcleaver's Bunghole Special Dark and Musty! Truly, no finer a brew was ever granted by the gods of the Bleak Halls...

Homage4 said:

Just got into this game...I dearly hope there's to be new stuff.

Same here... I played only three games at the moment, but it's great. So, sign me in.

Just wonedering... when was SoB released? Is this a long period compared to the usual gap between expansions?

Titeman said:

I'll throw in my vote (preferably for a new merged, reorganized and clarified rulebook...)

This more than anything.

Is there a Descent wiki or something?  All these rules need to be compiled and linked, for reals.

I would love a new clearified rule book, with some nice quick reference cards and some bonus quests, as a start.

Further expansions would be great, as well as other goodies.

I have recently gotten my mates hooked on this game, and we are playing through the basic campaigns of the core game with just the cards and heroes from well of darkness added, and having a blast. The plan is to play through all nine quests of the main core game, and then we see where we go from there.

I just love the modularity of this game, and the idea of the "quest guide" I would love to see more quests added both too the core game and with various expantions. There is much potential of combining them etc, and that can be done by giving out something similar to that quest compendium, but maybe with a bit more forethought and a bit closer to the core mechanics. (Basing this on what i have read of the compendium so far where it seem to be a lot of quests that deviate too much from the core gameplay, or quests that are simply broken or unbalanced.)

My dream mini-expansion would be:

A new and reorganized rulebook (More easy to look up things while playing (maybe have tabs with categories at the edge of the book etc....))

Quick reference sheets for Important rules and monsters (the monster cards are cumbersome and take a lot more space then a sheet with stats tables) Other things handy for quick ref: Tiles, Abilities, rounds etc. (I know there are a lot of these fan made quick references around, and i use a lot of them, but something official would be nice, especially for those players that don't go searching all over the web for such things. :))

A compendium of quests with difficulty ratings. (maybe even have several difficulties on a quest where some monsters and items are added/removed based on the difficulty you choose) (Signified by a copper, silver or gold frame for instance for things only present in easy(copper)medium(silver) or hard (gold)version of the quest)

A few extra items, skills and treachery. The more the merrier. I would love to see treasures that have negative effecs, kind of like the reverse of that stack of gold you find, where you get 100 coins and draw a card. Like if the chest has a spring trap, so you get "You loose 1 wound, ignoring armour, and draw one more (copper/silver/gold) treasure"

This could be released in the form of a book or small box, smaller than the expantion pack boxes.

I'm just ranting on with ideas here... but its a thought, maybe something can be used :P

I would like to see 1) a revised and comprehensive rulebook, including rules from the expansions; 2) a revision of those heroes, monsters, abilities, effects, skills, items, OL-cards, and feats that are crappy, overpowered or very complicated (take some of them out, if neccessary); 3) dungeons, encounters, and rumors for the AC combining monsters, terrain, traps etc. from the various vanilla expansions. Don't really need another vanilla expansion or AC as long as using the existing stuff properly requires an MA in Descent studies.

I love the game. The more I deplore the messy editing it comes with.

I still plan on getting Sea of Blood (after Tide of Iron) but I can add myself to the list of those who will buy every expansion that comes out for this game. A clarified rulebook, organized and with extra removable charts for OL and Heroes to use would be nice to replace the stack of books accumulating. As well... (still disappointed in the cheapout on plastic mini representations of Lts and OL Avatars in RtL) a box of additional plastic miniatures that includes an extra master monster of each type (for all those dungeons that have areas laid out where you use one monster to replace another since you aren't given eneogh figures) and since obviously doing a metal mini's line of all the "named" monsters in RtL and I'm sure SoB would get outrageously costly, a collection of plastic monsters in a third color to be used for "special" named monsters (this only comes up after playing a dungeon where there were 2 red wraiths and it was not quickly easy to define which one was which, especially when in close proximity to each other, after a master Medusa was killed I ended up using that figurine to represent the named monster till the players had killed the other master wraith. I know the simplist way is to just replace the represented figure with something else for the duration, but it would be nice.

You already covered extra dice (something needed for this game), so I would like to see:

#1: miniature expansions monsters (filler either regular or master monsters or a mix of both)

#2: miniature expansion Lts (for those of us not interested in putting together more metal mini's a collection of plastic Lts we can buy as a pack instead of individually, you might be surprised at how well numbers 1 and 2 would sell)

#3: same as everyone else is asking, you already covered extra dice and have released a cool line of expansions and two campaigns for the game, I would love to see more come out of it, more of everything, the store could use a boosting of items that wouldn't overbalance the game making it worth coming back to second time around instead of just during player stockup, little things like belt pouches and special potion items that allow a player to drink an extra potion while equiped, etc... , new dungeons (love the dungeon book released, will be picking it up), new campaigns, new potions treasure...

Heh, if noone else will I'll buy them >.<

Yes I would be in favor of new Descent material, no matter what it is because I am a huge fan-boy.  But honestly after how craptastic the last two offerings for this game have been (The Quest Compendium & Sea of Blood), what I really want and am hoping for is not another poorly made expansion, not even a merged and clarified rule-set (though that'd be nice to)......I want a whole new 2nd edition.  So long as they didn't do something stupid like change the scale of the squares and minis so you couldn't use old ones in the new edition, I'd be behind that 100% and probably have it on pre-order if they did things correctly.

I would love more new material for Descent... as long as it's quality stuff.

I remember all the people burned by the Quest book that was put out over a year ago. My group was also very disappointed in the poor testing that went into Road To Legend - we spent months playing the Sorceror campaign only to get to the end and realize they could just snipe the mirrors from the hallway and they were in no danger whatsoever.

I love Descent, but it's very clear to me that the people making it aren't interested in putting out a quality, well-tested product, so until I hear that there's something new for Descent that's really good and well put together, I'll hold off.

But negativity aside, I'd love a new book with quests in it. No new boxes are necessary. We already have tons of material. Just need new, inventive quests. Then again, I guess I should just put my money where my mouth is and make my own...

dementia13 said:

I love Descent, but it's very clear to me that the people making it aren't interested in putting out a quality, well-tested product, so until I hear that there's something new for Descent that's really good and well put together, I'll hold off.

Well, that's putting it a little strongly, but it does seem that like many FF games, the design is inconsistent. In some places, they aggressively seek to promote balance and a variety of options. In other instances, they embrace a Talisman-like philosophy that there should be "I win!" cards that turn Descent into luck-of-the-draw. The different actions you can declare each turn fall into the former category, while the different heroes and skills fall handily in the latter.

Rather than hope for more expansions, I would love to see a revised JitD set. I don't want the later expansions to be negated so I just wind up throwing them away, but a lot of stuff could be cleaned. We could stand to get a Lyssa that someone might actually want to play. We could see Knockback and Teleknesis and Spiritwalker properly reimagined as powers defined explicity in the rulebook, with ranks and counter-powers that defend agains tthem. 

But even aside from that, there's certainly room for expansion. For god's sake, where's the obligatory increase-the-number-of-players expansion? I want five-hero Descent bad!

+5 for my and my group !

I think a revised and complete rulebook or a 2nd Edition would be great. New Stuff Yes but please playtest it .. its sorry to see a good game losing because the expansions are poorly tested and balanced.

but i would buy them anyway  ;) 

I would like to see the High powered weapons get Trashed, and have them give us smaller weapons and some type of character upgrades,

This would/could also keep the boss monsters from being 1 shot killed.