Sign in to follow this  
yakumoran

heros enter the portal

I  have read the something question about portal.

But maybe I wound't seem about following question:

I have knew that when the last hero enter the portal, the new level will begin at OL's turn.

When hero enter the portal, his(her) turn immediately end, right ?

But, if there were 1~3 hero(s) had entered the portal at preceding turn, and then the last hero enters the portal or glyth at new turn.

Who will begin next level first ? Begin the OL's turn immediately or continue hero's turn who had entered the portal at preceding turn

Whether hero who had entered the portal will pass his turn until the new level begin ?

I guess it will be :

A, B and C enter the portal → D still in dungeon in this turn →  new turn → only D can action at new turn → D enters the portal or glyth and immediately end his turn → next level begin →  bacause A, B and C have been entered the portal at preceding turn so their turn will be passed → OL's turn begin first in next level

maamets said:

I think that heroes will always have the first turn on any dungeon level.

I have seem FAQ about this:

19. Once the last of the heroes have entered the portal in a dungeon, does the OL receive a turn, or does he immediately begin constructing the next dungeon level?

The overlord immediately begins constructing the next dungeon level.

So it shuldn't be true.

yakumoran said:

maamets said:

I think that heroes will always have the first turn on any dungeon level.

19. Once the last of the heroes have entered the portal in a dungeon, does the OL receive a turn, or does he immediately begin constructing the next dungeon level?

So it shuldn't be true.

I think you misunderstood. True, that OL will build the new dungeon level but heroes still receive the first turn in it.

In the rulebook at page 19 in section "Running the Dungeon Level": Once setup is complete, play begins normally, starting with the heroes.

PS! at least this is so in SoB.

yakumoran said:

"Constructing the next dungeon level" means the OL starts building the next level by removing the tiles of the previous level and placing down the tiles for the next one.  Once he's done constructing the next level, play begins with the heroes, and each hero gets a full regular turn before the OL gets his turn.

If this seems unfair to you, keep in mind that most of the time the heroes will stay on the previous level until they're ready to leave all at once.  That means that most likely the last turn each hero had before leaving the previous level was "I activate and walk into the portal."  Not much of a turn.  Even if there was something to shoot at before they left, it hardly matters since everything on that level was about to be left behind anyway.

So it means if each hero still has MPs or an attack in previous level after entering the portal.

When next level begin, each hero still can finish their ronud action one by one, right ?

I losed to read "constructing next level " sorry.

yakumoran said:

So it means if each hero still has MPs or an attack in previous level after entering the portal.

When next level begin, each hero still can finish their ronud action one by one, right ?

No, each player starts the level as normal. However, a hero that entering a portal with a rest order can gain fatigue at the start of the turn (according to K. Wilson).

But you cannot attack, enter, and do another attack in the next level because they start a new round.

So if next level begins at any time, it will immediately go back to heros' turn like a new round begining without any reason, then OL's turn will pass the turn in previous level.

yakumoran said:

So if next level begins at any time, it will immediately go back to heros' turn like a new round begining without any reason, then OL's turn will pass the turn in previous level.

Correct.  It's not "without any reason" though, the reason is because that's how the rules are written.  The heroes always go first on a new dungeon level.

Steve-O said:

yakumoran said:

Correct.  It's not "without any reason" though, the reason is because that's how the rules are written.  The heroes always go first on a new dungeon level.

And the reason the rules are written like that is that it would be quite more complicated if every hero started his turn on one level and finished it on another. You'd have either to

A) Memorize what action each hero had chosen at the beginning of his turn and how many movement point he already spent before starting the new level, or

B) Build the new level while the previous one is still on the table, as some heroes would still be on the old level while others would already be on the new. You'd need quite a lot more room for that; besides, in some cases you'd need tiles from the old level to build the new one. What would you do then?

On top of that, if play between levels was continuous, there would be less occasions to stop a session and record it easily: it could only be done at the end of whole dungeons, not between dungeon levels.

Descent is a complex game, and some rules exist to make it easier to play.