Sign in to follow this  
Jack and THE Hammer

Web versus kraken : Flawless victory, and some questions

My heroes kick my ass, but iìll talk about this later.

The battle against the kraken let emerge some questions.

1) Witch one it's true:

a: The heroes can visit a sieged city, and then figth the liutenant

b: The heroes can fight the liutenat and then visit the sieged city

c:The heroes must choose between fighting the LT or Visiting the sieging city

2) Knockback and grapple

Can a grappled Hero with Knockback ability(gained from weapons), free him'selfs pulling away the monster ?

3) when a kraken's tentacle is killed, can I replace it in some ways? Or the kraken can run out of tentacles? if it so the kraken is a really bad silver LT

4) The battle with my kraken and the heroes was absolutely ridiculas.  at the beginning of the fight, they webbed him, and kill all the tentacles in a few turn . Each turn, they put MORE web on him. they have the  silver treasure Black Widow's Web []  (Web + 1  web for every 2 surges). and the LT was covered by 5/7 webs each time, so it was impossibile for me to free and flee. i dont have the powerups to buy the Ol card to remove al status from him. so i've automaticaly lose.

i'd notice it was too simple kill the tentacles, and he dont even have minions to summon. And he was a silver LT.

Heroes rules too much, or i make some terrible mistake?

1b.

2. Yes.

3. There is no way to introduce more than the five initial tentacles.

4. In that case, the Kraken shouldn´t have let itself caught in the fight in the first place. Crushing Blow the Web weapon first. In a Lt. battle, you won´t have access to your treachery cards, though, they are not present in SoB´s Lt. encounters.

There are no treachery cards in Sob LT fight?

oh ****! you right! we totaly miss that step, but why they do that? the T-card was essential in that kind of battle!.. i have to rewrite all my strategy.

So now basicaly the only thing my LT can do is  flee. thats unfair

Jack and THE Hammer said:

So now basicaly the only thing my LT can do is  flee. thats unfair

Considering how easy it reportedly is for the OL to win SoB (without any house rules involved), I hardly think it's unfair to have removed one advantage the OL apparently doesn't even need.

First and foremost: a fleeing lieutenant only runs one step away, so restarting his siege is easier. Also:

• Divine Favor makes the game take longer, which gives the OL more time to siege cities.
  • The dungeons are harder.
  • Outdoor encounters are an actual threat as opposed to being free money for the heroes.
  • There is no single city that the heroes can defend and stave off OL victory. They have to be able to defend every corner of the map simultaneously.

There's more, but I'm off to a meeting.

Sob is so poorly playtested (if at all) ...  they failed to see (or have ignored) some major flaws in the game mechanics ... one of which is that the Ol basically can not loose an encounter ... in the worst case he has to flee, but most of the time he does not need to.. he just waits 5 or six turns on the edge of an encounter, and then he moves into range and  one shots people with skeletons or whatever using threat to boost their attacks... (Kraken by the way is desined the way that he can't even reach the heroes if they stand on the other side of the ship)... and the main problem is that if the Ol has more Lieutenants the heroes dont stand a chance of preventing the OL from destroying every city he wants... well read the Older posts to see more flaws in the SOB its really horrible...

How do you peple compare SoB balance to RtL balance? My group is playing SoB campaing because our hobby shop did not have RtL in their store.

Of course it is possible to bring a bit balance back to SoB game by introducing some house rules but this feels always a bit clanky.

Before starting i want to assure you, i'm not tryng to began a discussion i'm only searching my own weak point to learn how to kill better my players, but in order to do this, i've to tell you how i see the game

@James McMurray

-Divine Favor: to be honest, our Vp are always very cloce each others, so we've never see how Divine flavor effectly act in game(usualy I'm on the edge, having 5/6 Vp of adavantage, but too far away from DF)

-Harder dungeon?

now i cant make a list of all the level we've played, but  some of it are impressed cleared in my mind:

Level 66: the boss is alone in a closed room. and the dangerous zone is so small! The long range heroes have killed all monster inside of the room, and then they have a nice walk in to it. At last they open the blue door and kill the boss in a single turn with 6 attack(with explosion and Breath effects).

level 59: the pipe organ is ridiculas. why the hero have to make the boss getting stronger? they have killed him first, and Then, they've sound the pipe organ

but tthe best one was the rumors dungeon 10; "the guardians". 

without knowing what will happen using the statues(because i dont want to tell them) my group runs in to the room, use all the statue and after that, the altair. they've automaticaly won the level without the bosses can hit them one single time. I mean, that bosses sure was strong, and 1 hero or 2 should probably die, but the bosses will not stand for long than 2 rounds. But with the altairs....Zero rounds

-Outdoor encounters: We think the same on this point, the problem is my heroes do the same! They avoid it as much as they can whit proper items or escaping at the first chanse. I've never bring the vengance under her half wounds level. :-(

-Sieging city: Ok, i'm agreed with you again

@Svraun

-Sob is so poorly playtested: i'm agreeding again

-[one of which is that the Ol basically can not loose an encounter ... in the worst case he has to flee, but most of the time he does not need to.. he just waits 5 or six turns on the edge of an encounter, and then he moves into range and one shots people with skeletons or whatever using threat to boost their attacks]

i'm not so sure about it, skeletons are good and the Treath boost are algo a nice thing, but the heroes kill monsters more faster the OL gain skulls token and summon more monsters for replacement

-Kraken: it's a bugged LT and a proper faq will really help! BTW i was thinking about the tentacles, they really bother me for the movment, a single square token with more movment should probably work better i guest

well you cant kill a skeleton that is on the other side of the map behind a rock, the OL can use threat to give him movement points as well... well i just wanted to poin out that even a normal skeleton is powerful if the OL has threat (and he rolls 4 extra silver dice for example)  ...