Sign in to follow this  
jhaelen

Does triggering a Disrupt that invalidates a target cancel the targeting effect?

I've recently been playing a few games with the black-border cards, and several of them made me wonder about this:

If your opponent plays a card targeting one of your characters and that character is made an invalid target in some way, does this mean the opponent's effect is canceled, or does he just get to target a different character?

I'd the assume the latter, but I'm not entirely sure.

In the black-border game there are several characters that can be sacrificed as a Disrupt to be turned into an additional domain. In the game the situation was that after I won a combat struggle at a story my opponent first declared that the character was the one to be wounded and then wanted to use its Disrupt ability to turn it into a Domain.

I think, in that situation, my opponent would either be unable to use the Disrupt or he'd be able to use it (before naming the character to be wounded) but have to choose a different character to be wounded (assuming any remained at the story).

I have a feeling it would require an 'instead' wording to achieve what my opponent intended. What do you think?

P.S.: The only similar effect I found in the LCG is 'Jack "Brass" Brady' from the core set (F 61):

cthulhu.dbler.com/index.php

Disrupt: Before a triggered ability resolves, return Jack 'Brass' Brady to his owner´s hand.

I'm not entirely sure it's an identical situation, but I always assumed that (e.g. after being targeted with a Shotgun Blast) your opponent would simply be allowed to target a different character after you used Jack's Disrupt to get him into the safety of your hand.

Jack is working only with triggered abilities so the example with the shotgun is wrong (you will see this wrong example has been corrected in the last faq). Taking a wound because you lost a combat struggle is a game effect is not a triggered effect or a triggered ability (effects you will see only on cards) (see in the faq card effects / game effects). 

You can play the Jack's disrupt as soon as a triggered ability is triggered, and not just one targeting Jack.

Then the faq says : "Also note that if a card is targeted, but becomes an illegal target (e.g., via a Disrupt: action), the targeting effect is then ignored." it means you haven't to choose a new target, the effect is ignored. The situation you says for the CCG games is right. You choose the guy to have the wound, you play the disrupt to change him to domain and the wound is ignored, you don't choose a new target.

@ prof : During story resolution you can play disrupt and Forced Response (like all green windows), but no Action and no Response. 

TheProfessor said:

You can't disrupt the story resolution can you?

Sure you can! It's only Actions and Responses that have to wait until the next Action Window.

From the FAQ:

Thus, no actions or responses can be triggered
between one story’s resolution and the
beginning of the next story’s resolution. The
only responses players can choose to trigger are
Disrupts, however Forced Responses that apply
to the situation must trigger automatically.

and:

Disrupts can be played immediately, whenever
their play requirement is met, and their
resolution precedes the resolution of the
occurrence that allowed the disrupt to be
triggered.

and:

Forced Responses should always trigger
immediately, whenever the circumstances of
their text would indicate.

The first paragraph may be a bit misleading since it only talks about the time between resolving two stories. But there's also the following:

Disrupts will
still interrupt story resolution and take place
immediately, as they precede the occurrence
being disrupted.

Dadajef said:

Jack is working only with triggered abilities so the example with the shotgun is wrong (you will see this wrong example has been corrected in the last faq). Taking a wound because you lost a combat struggle is a game effect is not a triggered effect or a triggered ability (effects you will see only on cards) (see in the faq card effects / game effects). 

You can play the Jack's disrupt as soon as a triggered ability is triggered, and not just one targeting Jack.

Then the faq says : "Also note that if a card is targeted, but becomes an illegal target (e.g., via a Disrupt: action), the targeting effect is then ignored." it means you haven't to choose a new target, the effect is ignored. The situation you says for the CCG games is right. You choose the guy to have the wound, you play the disrupt to change him to domain and the wound is ignored, you don't choose a new target.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, dadajef! So, the CCG cards are even better than I thought!

And apparently, the wrong example about Jack has already burned itself into my mind, grr. enfadado.gif