Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Yerazald

fly for heroes

Recommended Posts

Then if Heroes can't have Soar, why is it written "any hero without swim or soar" in the "fleeing an Island" paragraph on page 21 (rulebook for SoB)

 

As well, we found a possibility for a kind of an infinite threat combo, I just want to be sure if it works. Can the sharks in encounter attack the other sharks in order to give threats for the overlord?

 

Do the sharks need to be killed in the encounter for the heroes to win? As it says heroes need to kill every enemy figures.

 

Thanks for the answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then if Heroes can't have Soar, why is it written "any hero without swim or soar" in the "fleeing an Island" paragraph on page 21 (rulebook for SoB)

 

Because somebody screwed up.

As well, we found a possibility for a kind of an infinite threat combo, I just want to be sure if it works. Can the sharks in encounter attack the other sharks in order to give threats for the overlord?

No. Per the FAQ an attack must hit a hero for the overlord to get a threat by spending 2 surges.

Do the sharks need to be killed in the encounter for the heroes to win? As it says heroes need to kill every enemy figures.

Sharks are not figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the answers, but allow me to argue on this:

 

James McMurray said:

Then if Heroes can't have Soar, why is it written "any hero without swim or soar" in the "fleeing an Island" paragraph on page 21 (rulebook for SoB)

 

Because somebody screwed up.

 

How can you say that somebody screwed up on page 21? I mean, what if he screwed up saying heroes can't have Soar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're of course free to decide that and house rule it to allow heroes to have soar if that's what your group wants to do, but the rules themselves are clear. There is no contradiction that requires you to pick one rule to violate.

Rule 1: heroes can't have soar

Rule 2: "any hero without swim or soar ..."

Since heroes can't have soar due to rule one, the "or" portion of rule 2 can never happen.

The mistake is not that a hero should be able to have Soar. If that were the case it would have been FAQed long ago. The mistake is including what is essentially a null phrase, since it can lead to confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with James's interpretation of the rules.

That said, I'm not entirely sure there's a good reason to prevent heroes from having Soar.  I mean, if heroes could have Soar the only rules question I see it generating that hasn't already been generated by Soaring monsters is the "what if my Soaring hero wants to attack the Soaring monster?" question, which is itself a pretty easy question to answer.  Either the monster still gets +4 range regardless, or it doesn't get +4 when both figures are Soaring.

Maybe they were concerned about melee monsters not having any recourse to attack Soaring heroes and this resulting in an invincible team of all Soaring heroes, but honestly I don't think there are that many ways for heroes to get Soar anyway.  There's one hero I know of who has Fly naturally (Zyla) and there's one treasure that grants Fly (Wings of Regiroth.)  That gets you 2 of 4 heroes with the potential for Soar.

What I'm getting at here is that I don't see how it would break the game.  Obviously the folks at FFG decided it would better if heroes couldn't Soar for some reason, but if you want to house rule that they can, I don't think it's a terrible idea that will ruin the game or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You only need one invincible hero to break the game. Anyone who doesn't have Soar can usually flee while the one remaining hero takes their time killing the boss for free money. Encounters are already easy enough in RtL without adding in the ability of a lucky draw to make mane of them impossible to lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James McMurray said:

No. Per the FAQ an attack must hit a hero for the overlord to get a threat by spending 2 surges.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but what exactly means: "overlord spending 2 surges"?. I understand the concept for heroes but am totally cluless how an OL can spend surges. I understand that the surges come from power dices but most monsters do not have power dices and even if they have (master monsters) they only have one which will not net 2 surges.

I guess I am missing an important rule somewhere but can not find it. So can someone please explain this to me?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maamets said:

James McMurray said:

 

No. Per the FAQ an attack must hit a hero for the overlord to get a threat by spending 2 surges.

 

 

Sorry for hijacking this thread but what exactly means: "overlord spending 2 surges"?. I understand the concept for heroes but am totally cluless how an OL can spend surges. I understand that the surges come from power dices but most monsters do not have power dices and even if they have (master monsters) they only have one which will not net 2 surges.

I guess I am missing an important rule somewhere but can not find it. So can someone please explain this to me?

 

Thanks!

JitD Rules, p. 10: "Using power surges (Overlord): For every two surges the overlord player rolls during an attack, he gains one threat token. Any unused surges are lost."

By the way, also the colored dice have surges, not only the power dice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve-O said:

That said, I'm not entirely sure there's a good reason to prevent heroes from having Soar.  I mean, if heroes could have Soar the only rules question I see it generating that hasn't already been generated by Soaring monsters is the "what if my Soaring hero wants to attack the Soaring monster?" question, which is itself a pretty easy question to answer.  Either the monster still gets +4 range regardless, or it doesn't get +4 when both figures are Soaring.

Maybe they were concerned about melee monsters not having any recourse to attack Soaring heroes and this resulting in an invincible team of all Soaring heroes, but honestly I don't think there are that many ways for heroes to get Soar anyway.  There's one hero I know of who has Fly naturally (Zyla) and there's one treasure that grants Fly (Wings of Regiroth.)  That gets you 2 of 4 heroes with the potential for Soar.

Two soarers attacking each other are at +8 range (each contributes +4 either to or from) and still cannot attack each other with a melee attack. (FAQ: A: A creature that is Soaring is adjacent to no other creatures.)
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...