Sign in to follow this  
lahomen

The Chosen Few

Is it just me, or is this the single most brilliant and exciting contest in the history of ever?  Maybe I'm exaggerating, but not by much.  I love crazy and unique deck builds, and I can't wait to see what people come up with.  After the contest ends, we should compile a giant forum discussion of all the crazy decks that didn't get picked. 

I keep trying to think of a good Neutral house deck (can anyone tell from my posts?), but not having Goldroad and Searoad is just rough.  I'm just not that excited about having to pay OOH for Aegon's Garden or a Kingdom of Shadows....

I'm working up some crazy ideas... I really hope we get detailed tourney reports with each of the top 8 decks, not just the winning deck.  aplauso.gif

jmccarthy said:

Is it just me, or is this the single most brilliant and exciting contest in the history of ever?  Maybe I'm exaggerating, but not by much.  I love crazy and unique deck builds, and I can't wait to see what people come up with.  After the contest ends, we should compile a giant forum discussion of all the crazy decks that didn't get picked. 

I keep trying to think of a good Neutral house deck (can anyone tell from my posts?), but not having Goldroad and Searoad is just rough.  I'm just not that excited about having to pay OOH for Aegon's Garden or a Kingdom of Shadows....

I'm working up some crazy ideas... I really hope we get detailed tourney reports with each of the top 8 decks, not just the winning deck.  aplauso.gif

If anyone is interested once the contest is over I'm going to be posting the decks I submitted to FFG on my website in a special decks section. If anyone wants me to post their decks too I'd be happy to. Just put 'FFG Contest' in the deck name when submitting it and I'll put it in the seperate section.

I totally agree that this is a great contest, and I love building crazy decks so this is alot of fun. I'm feeling your pain on the roseroad/searoad though for the neutral deck. My neutral deck is real hit or miss because of it. So far I've got my Targ deck built and submitted, a Lannister deck built and my neutral deck still being tinkered with.

While I love this contest (really anything that rewards creativity in the game) I'm not entirely sure why they limited us to what they did.  At least taking the Stark and Bara boxes out of the picture puts all the houses on an even(ish) playing field, but I'm finding it difficult to create an interesting deck using only one CP cycle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd be able to make more interesting decks if I had access to more cards.  Since the goal of the contest is creativity and not power I don't understand the limitation.  Not that I'm not going to enter, 'cause I totally am, but I'd like to be able to use all my resources.

I think their limitation is where the brilliance lies: FFG wants to show casual gamers that they can put together a wild and crazy and powerful deck by only buying one set of chapter packs.  Its marketing, my dear Intentionally Anonymous.  gui%C3%B1o.gif

At the same time, it forces you to really examine each set of chapter packs, look at the synergies contained inside, and choose what is most important to you.  You have access to the resources, you just have to be selective about which resource you select. 

The most interesting choices are when we are forced to prioritize, and that's what excited me about the contest..

It is the coolest contest ever ;)

Fooling around with some ideas I really noticed how much of the usual deck "smoothness" is lost, when you don´t have a sigle 5 gold plot, or the familiar bunch of cheap characters like the refugees.
Being forced to unusual building choices, esp. gold curve wise, really gives an interesting insight about deck efficiency. I like this!

danach81 said:

I'm wondering though, since the Neutral House card is in the Brotherhood cycle, does that limit you to that cycle if you want to build a neutral faction?

Someone from FFG commented in the article that the neutral house card is exempt from the deckbuilding restriction, so you can use it with other cycles.

~Just wanted to let you guys know that you might as well not build a bara deck since I'll be submitting one. You know, didn't want to have you waste your time or anything. :P

Staton said:

~Just wanted to let you guys know that you might as well not build a bara deck since I'll be submitting one. You know, didn't want to have you waste your time or anything. :P

I wish you'd told me earlier, I already spent a couple hours building and submitting a Baratheon deck.. that's time I'll never get back. sad.gif