Sign in to follow this  
A.J.Mustafa

Why I Think Descendant of Eibon is OP

Why i think Descendant of Eibon is OP

I play Card game since 1997 , now i play test some board game.
I recently start to play Call of Cthulhu LCG about 2 years ago  , and i  hope will play LotR TCG in the future.

First of all DoE is an auto include in all deck especially if you want to play in some global tournament, this card help in a lot of situation.
I heard very person talk about DoE is OP because of his ability , the answer is YES, his ability is very powerful and give you a lot of table control.
A well played DoE can easily give you 3 success token.

But my analysis is not to prove his ability is OP because everyone know this but i would like to show you the power of icons: CCAI, Willpower and Fast

Many persons play CoC just for fun, sometimes playing some tournament etc. so is very frustrating to lose the game because of one card.
I think the most powerful things in this cards are his icons and keywords

Why ? Just look:

For a cost of 3 we have a personality with :CCAI, Willpower and Fast , and an ability ( no mater what ability at this moment )

So if i play a deck without any card that directly kill a personality i need a person on the table who can kill the DoE so i need CCC struggle icon on it, lets have a look a all the personalities in the game who have the magic CCC ( the T icon doesn't  count because of the Willpower :) )

We Have:

Hired Muscle
T-Men
Slavering Gug
The Cornered Man
Friend of the family
The thing from the shore
Night-shift security
Enraged Gug
Labouring Gug
Dhole Ant-Lion
Safari Hunter
Cthuga
Tcho-tcho Tribe
Hydra
James Logan ( alias the Wolverine :) )
Ravenous Piranha
Silver twilight enforcer
Basilisk
G-Men
Halfling of Dhaz

Not so many :) Many of this card are not playable because of it's high cost ( most of them are 4 or more ) or the lack of good ability so we don't include it in our deck, I know some card can easily be bring into play thx to Shocking Transformation but this doesn't count.

The Major problem on the DoE, I think is the Fast Keyword who make him very hard to kill with some characters.
I make a great banana smile when i saw also one thing, the DoE can easily fight against almost any Ancient One ( except Cthuga and Hydra ) ( a 1v1 fight at the story ) he may even kill the mighty Hastur, I'm a great fan of the Mythos Universe , but this thing is very strange for me.
The best thing is when at last you successfully play for example Cthulhu in a 1v1 attack at the story, Cthulhu will give 1 success token and will remain exhausted but the defending DoE will gave you also 1 success token + 3 in his round with no possibility to defend (because Cthulhu is exhausted )

Now take a look a the ability when after a lot of fight you are able to kill him , because you draw a guy from the list above or with an ability who kill a character , or you just draw your Shotgun blast or another killing cards.
The opponents just pay 4 success token and bring the DoE into play an make 3 success on a story ( one from I, one from skill, one because there's no characters in confront him, but only if well played ),or just play it from his hand for 3.

You lost your killing card he 2/4 success token, what's better depends of the game, but when you have 9 killing cards in your deck, and you used 3 of them without doing anythin, it's frustrating . And you can place on the table 3xDoE and only one Cthulhu if someone tells me it's not OP.

There are now some cards who can easily stop neutral etc, but he still have all his icons and keywords.

At this moment when i build a competitive deck i first put in :

3xDoE
3xDreamlands fanatic
3xThe Terror of the tides
3xServant out of time
3xIntruder from beyond
3xAlaskan Sledge dog ( Options )
3x Furtive Zoog
3xDiseased Sewer Rats ( Options )

Then i remove, sometimes, some of those cards it depends on what deck i want to build.
All those cards above are OP and can easily rush and give you the card advantage on the table.
For me there is only one option to make the environment more playable with less rush deck
Give some cards the steadfast symbol on the response ability that bring to play for other cards i don't have any idea. Maybe just ban, make a restriction or a big errata.

Sorry for my bad English and all the mistakes , but English is not my native language.

Send regards
A.J.Mustafa

DoE is powerfull but way to counter him are not only to wound it directly. Other ways to block him is to play a primal fear or Agoraphobia or all bounce card to return him in the opponent's hand. With a neutral ground in play, DOA lost is Willpower and fast keywords (so he can become insane). A 70 steps in play and your descendant is put into play exhaust

Snow Grave is a card we will see also again in all competitive deck just to counter DOA and the Silver Twilight / Yog decks (to avoid recursive way) or miska /recursive Itinerant Scholar or Agency / attachment (prize manor or Evidence Locker). Lock the discard pile is actually a very good thing (and its also for that you must have good cards to destroy support cards in you competitive deck).

If you build your competitive deck as you said, with a neutral ground in play I will block 12 cards of your deck for example. I add a Snow Grave and block your discard pile. So, with only 2 cards (and you can play all factions with this cards) 3 x Neutral Ground, 3 X Snow Grave you can have response against a lot of opponents decks. Be careful not to play to much neutral characters !

So yes the DOA is a strong card, but actually you have some good cards to play against him. He is always good to play because you can use it has a transient resource and all your opponents will have not response to block him once in play.  DOA is just a good joker card if your opponent have not think about him during is deckbuilding.

DoE is a pretty powerful card, no doubt about that. Though I'm not a big fan of banning cards. What would definetely help is to give him the unique status.

But I do think there are lots of options out now to deal with the descendant.

About the other cards. Sledge Dogs are ok. As a matter of fact, I would use them now only in a yog deck with doppelgängers. I do think, that they got a bit overnerfed but that's just my personal opinion.

Servants and Zoogs are pretty balanced in my opinion, because they're somewhat risky to play.

Dreamlands, Terror and Intruder are good cards but I wouldn't call them OP.

Same goes for the Sewer Rats, although it's funny that actually every deck includes them. Maybe they are a bit OP.

Dadajef said:

Snow Grave is a card we will see also again in all competitive deck just to counter DOA and the Silver Twilight / Yog decks (to avoid recursive way) or miska /recursive Itinerant Scholar or Agency / attachment (prize manor or Evidence Locker). Lock the discard pile is actually a very good thing (and its also for that you must have good cards to destroy support cards in you competitive deck).

Yeah, after spending some time looking through the CCG cards and popular decks, I realized, Snow Graves is currently really the only card, I'd put in absolutely every deck. Normally, I'd say this is a clear indication it is too powerful. Currently there is no other card that can do what it does, i.e. completely lock an opponent's discard pile. Now, granted, there may be decks that don't care about the discard pile, but I'd bet they won't stand a chance against decks utilizing their discard pile in some way, right now. At the same time every deck will have to include ways to counter Snow Graves and (maybe) way to protect your own.

What I'd really like to see, are equally viable alternatives to using Snow Graves. Because variety is what keeps the game interesting.

Forgotten Shoggoth is one of the few ways (aside from Attachment destruction or DOA) to combat Snow Graves. Granted, it's not as optimal unless you're creating a "Millstone" deck (don't hurt me Hata!) but it is a way to fight the icy death.

Ahzrab said:

DoE is a pretty powerful card, no doubt about that. Though I'm not a big fan of banning cards. What would definetely help is to give him the unique status.

Hell, no, please, never!

Setting sun would be useless against him! And it is the best weapon. No one will play its action if there isn't any investigation icon on the man.