Sign in to follow this  
ffgfan

Omens Of War!

Gitzman said:

Doc, the Weasel said:

Got mine in Sacramento, CA (Store had two for three buyers. Glad I pre-ordered).

I'm liking the variety in the Severe Wounds (although I wish there were more). The ones that have multiples are all different, sometimes in effect (2 misfortunes instead of 1) and always in severity.

I also like that they break the mold as far as having a non-permanent basic effect, and a permanent severe effect. Some are never permanent. One (bum knee) is permanent from the get-go, but has has a bad effect whenever the threshold is reached. Sometimes you lose attribute points, sometimes it's permanent fatigue or stress.

All in all, a nice set. 

Doc! Where in Sac did you find it? I cant find it anywhere. *Grumble*

Gtizman

Pre-ordered from Viking. I ran into that last time, where they didn't have an extra after someone pre-ordered, so this time I called ahead. 

I think they usually get a shipment on Friday too, so you may be able to get one then, but since this one came in Friday I'm not sure. I'd give them a call.

Great Escape Games usually gets their shipments Friday too, if memory serves.

Krogan said:

yep, still not on "Faraos Cigarer" or "Fantask" webshops... dammit...

Believe Fantask gets their wares on Tuesdays, I play this Tuesday, so will drop by and cross my fingers... if not, I'll likely buy something else gui%C3%B1o.gif

Callidon said:

If mass combat is what you want...GW and FFG would grab you by the shoulders and point you toward Warhammer Fantasy Battle (regardless of how you feel about the ol' girl).  If the FFG crew even scribbled some mass combat alternate rules on a napkin there would be murders in the night.
um, but i don't want to stop role playing to play with overpriced tin men. i had hoped that a book with war in the title would introduce some interesting progress track variants or expand on those already presented in earlier books that could administer mass battle and the role the players could have in that.

the community has had some brilliant innovative ideas ... javascript:void(0);/*1304019895622*/ 

I don't disagree with you at all NewZombie.  My previous comment was not intended as a "hey n00b go play fantasy battle der" statement.  I also am aware of the various forms of mass combat rules conjured by the community throughout the years. 

What I was getting at previously is that we have to live with the fact that as long as Games Workshop is holding the reigns they would never ever in a thousand billion trillion quintillion years allow FFG to introduce an alternate and miniature free way of handling large scale combat.  Even though an alternate set of rules would really only benefit roleplayers, GW would see ot as treading too heavily on their mainstay.  Take that mindset and couple it with their release of the newer edition of the fantasy battle rules in 2010...it'd be toe stepping in their eyes and probably violate some licensing boundary.  Logic, and the needs of the roleplaying community have rarely been at the forefront of GW's endeavors which is why they license it out to other companies.

So, unsurprisingly, there are no mass combat rules presented in the fantasy roleplay supplement of Omens of War...even though I'm sure FFG could have banged out some good ones.

callidon, i didn't think you were dismissing me as a n00b. i appreciate the content details you are sharing with the community. i don't agree with your opinion regarding an abstracted mass combat system. as heretek points out there is precedence with other GW licenced products, there is even precedence in WFRP 3. 

i can't see an abstracted system using the custom WFRP3 dice and a progress track being a threat to the success of games workshop's fantasy battles game. 

ah well, it's disappointing to me, it seemed like an obvious fit for the product, which other than that omission sounds like a great one.

Thanks Callidon for a great review of what we are getting. That made me even more excited for this one and I hope to get it next week in my hands.

I like the new career but I agre that there's to few of Severe Injuries. But I think that in the future we will see those in other products so there will be more of them.

Now we can only wait to see the announce of Black Fire Pass any day now. And I hope to see it in June 2011.

Callidon said:

Followers: Battle-Bred Warhorse (Knight Only), Trusty Horse (Outrider Only)

I sort of wondered about this.  So is there a way to represent horses other than the follower cards?  I notice the follower cards come with that nice little track for exhaustion - are other horses tracked just with a tracking bar? What about mounted road wardens? Don't they get trusted steeds?

Subquestion - How are people planning to deal with mixed parties?  The fact that your Outrider can cover the distance to the next town in mere hours rather than days - how does this affect plot movement and party cohesion for you? 

Apocryphal Lore said:

Callidon said:

Followers: Battle-Bred Warhorse (Knight Only), Trusty Horse (Outrider Only)

I sort of wondered about this.  So is there a way to represent horses other than the follower cards?  I notice the follower cards come with that nice little track for exhaustion - are other horses tracked just with a tracking bar? What about mounted road wardens? Don't they get trusted steeds?

Subquestion - How are people planning to deal with mixed parties?  The fact that your Outrider can cover the distance to the next town in mere hours rather than days - how does this affect plot movement and party cohesion for you? 

You need to keep track of your normal horse manually I believe.

As for the people on horses being faster. They will either wait or arrive early gran_risa.gif

Apocryphal Lore said:

All I can say is that traveling alone can be dangerous in the warhammer world and you might not want to leave your party just to get to the next town earlier.

Krogan said:

yep, still not on "Faraos Cigarer" or "Fantask" webshops... dammit...

Without promising too much I expect to get it in store mid may at the latest. Cross my fingers.

CHeers.

I got a favour to ask - can some one post the Marksman career?

I would love to know what are the restriction of thsi profesion. You know - races avaliable, traits, primary characteristics, skills, the table stance and so on.

Marksman

Advanced Career: Any Race

Combat, Intermediate, Military, Rural

Primary Characteristic: Agility, Willpower

Career Skills: Ballistic Skill, Coordination, Discipline, Observation, Resilience

Stance Meter: 3 Green - 1 Red

Advances: Action - 2, Talent - 1, Skill - 3, Fortune - 1, Conservative - 2, Reckless - 0, Wound - 1

Card Slots: Focus, Reputation, Tactic

Description: A keen eyed individual practiced at using missle weapons

ValiantOne said:

Marksman

Career Skills: Ballistic Skill, Coordination, Discipline, Observation, Resilience

Advances: Action - 2, Talent - 1, Skill - 3, Fortune - 1, Conservative - 2, Reckless - 0, Wound - 1

Thanks! That helps me!

Just if You could write the career ability, please!

Doc, the Weasel said:

Alfonzo said:

Are there any new melee actions that use agility instead of strength like Nimble Strike?

There are two in the Diestro style: Disarm, and a straightforward attack.

Cool, thanks.

ffgfan said:

ValiantOne said:

Marksman

Thanks! That helps me!

Just if You could write the career ability, please!

Sure thing! (Sorry about forgetting to post that...)

Marksman Career Ability: Once per session you may ignore the difficulty modifier on a Ranged Attack action

This seems like a good expansion, but a gripe of mine (except for not having an abstracted mass combat system), is that there doesn't seem to be a squire career.

I think they should have included 'Squire' as a basic career, or otherwise should have made 'Knight' a basic career instead of an advanced one. When you have Wardancers, Waywatchers and Swordmasters running around as basic careers, it shouldn't be too hard or unbalancing to make a basic career profile for a Knight, maybe it could then be called 'Young Knight' or so.

But a 'Squire' basic career would still have my preference.

What is supposed to be the 'basic' predecessor of 'Knight' now, that doesn't seem too contrived, anyway? If a player wants to have a 'knightly' basic career, which career should he choose if there's no squire and he can't start out as a knight? I feel 'Soldier' or so just wouldn't do...

I'm thinking of maybe putting the Knight career card amongst the basic career cards, and if it gets drawn/chosen, consider it a squire that is nearing the end of his training or a freshly dubbed knight. But then I probably would have to alter some of the career attributes/powers on the card for balancing reasons until he is a 'proper' knight.

What do you guys think?

The precursor is actually the pistoller according to the book.  That is where knights are almost exclusively drawn from, addtitionally only nobles become knights. outriders are also a path after the pistoller and is open to all classes of society. also pistollers who fail to become knights also become outriders

Cabello said:

The precursor is actually the pistoller according to the book.  That is where knights are almost exclusively drawn from, addtitionally only nobles become knights. outriders are also a path after the pistoller and is open to all classes of society. also pistollers who fail to become knights also become outriders

I'm afraid that would present a problem, especially for Knights of the White Wolf or other knights that are not too fond of firearms. It seems background elements (and not only rules, which is fine) are getting changed in regard to previous editions. I find that a bit damaging for the 'immersion' into the WH World of old hands like me and my group...

But maybe the pistolier career is flexible enough to allow interpreting it as a squire if one would want. If not, maybe the soldier career could be interpreted as a squire if necessary. Ride skill should be taken as mandatory in that case.

What is the career ability of Pistoliers? If it has nothing to do with pistols, it could 'count as' a squire maybe. If it does, maybe substitute the pistol ability with an equivalent lance ability or so. And for the more 'modern' knightly orders (Reiksgard,...?) the pistolier serves as a good precursor as is.

But maybe soldier would be fine technically if the appropriate skills/talents/actions are chosen. The career ability of a soldier (recovering 1 stress & fatigue each combat rally step) seems more or less ok for a squire who just when through years of rigorous training.

Bayard said:

This seems like a good expansion, but a gripe of mine (except for not having an abstracted mass combat system), is that there doesn't seem to be a squire career.

I think they should have included 'Squire' as a basic career, or otherwise should have made 'Knight' a basic career instead of an advanced one. When you have Wardancers, Waywatchers and Swordmasters running around as basic careers, it shouldn't be too hard or unbalancing to make a basic career profile for a Knight, maybe it could then be called 'Young Knight' or so.

What is supposed to be the 'basic' predecessor of 'Knight' now, that doesn't seem too contrived, anyway? If a player wants to have a 'knightly' basic career, which career should he choose if there's no squire and he can't start out as a knight? I feel 'Soldier' or so just wouldn't do...

I'm thinking of maybe putting the Knight career card amongst the basic career cards, and if it gets drawn/chosen, consider it a squire that is nearing the end of his training or a freshly dubbed knight. But then I probably would have to alter some of the career attributes/powers on the card for balancing reasons until he is a 'proper' knight.

What do you guys think?

Bayard said:

What do you guys think?

Hello, there shouldnt be a squire career becaue, Empire Knights dont have squires the young nobles spend there time as pistolers before joining a order if they join one at all and its also not uncommon for a commner as such to joina "Knightly order" but most of them are former pistoleers. Suires are the realm of bretonnia Knights which are the more stereotypical Knights that people exepect. Empire Knights are more templar Style Knights great warriors but not very "Knightly" you can read the Empire Codex and some of the Novels covering the Empire and bretonnia to reference some of this Info Hope this helps.