Sign in to follow this  
ffgfan

Omens Of War!

I think I like this. My group was just talking about how the mechanics only provide so many options and while the action cards thematically differ, in the end they start playing very similar. It would be cool if this offers something to mix things up more.

ffgfan said:

Finaly, the moment has come - It's on the boat! Can't wait for it to be hiting stores!

Sweet! About time too. :) I look forward to this expansion, it seems to add a lot of cool content.

Finally! I can't wait to see the product.

But two things are troubling me:

1. Quality - Let them be without the many faults we 've seen with the guides! They are terrible for a compilation. So to me I'd be happy to wait a bit longer in oder to get a quality product.(actually not but...preocupado.gif)

2. Races - From what I've read so far OoW seems to focus on the Empire and therefore on humans. What about advanced combat carreers for dwarves and elves. Will we have to wait for Blackfire Pass and [elf expansion]? Even the fighting styles lead me to the assumption that OoW will mainly focus on humans leaving out the dwarves and elves: Zweihander (wirte it Zweihänder or Zweihaender if you really want to write in German gui%C3%B1o.gif) doesn't mention the Sword Master the same with Bulwark, Hunter's Eye and Twin Weapon concerning Ironbreaker, Waywatcher and Wardancer) and on top of that there is a Judegment style for the Witch Hunter. So will there be Way of the Sword, Ancestor etc. styles?

Off Topic: I hope the Slaneesh expansion will bring us basic social actions gran_risa.gif

I do believe the titles of the combat styles are not meant to limit them racially but to act more like traits, they are present for flavor and context's sake.  So its not beyond the scope of possiblity that the Swordmaster could take the Greatweapon style etc etc.

Plus you do have basic social actions Feqz, Perform a Stunt is a brilliant card with all sorts of potential. I was looking at the game from a "birds eye view" the other day and realized that with clever players you could run a whole campaign using only skills, talents, and nothing but the basic action cards.  Perform a Stunt may be my favorite card of the bunch !

Feqz said:

2. Races - From what I've read so far OoW seems to focus on the Empire and therefore on humans. What about advanced combat carreers for dwarves and elves. Will we have to wait for Blackfire Pass and [elf expansion]? Even the fighting styles lead me to the assumption that OoW will mainly focus on humans leaving out the dwarves and elves: Zweihander (wirte it Zweihänder or Zweihaender if you really want to write in German gui%C3%B1o.gif) doesn't mention the Sword Master the same with Bulwark, Hunter's Eye and Twin Weapon concerning Ironbreaker, Waywatcher and Wardancer) and on top of that there is a Judegment style for the Witch Hunter. So will there be Way of the Sword, Ancestor etc. styles?

There are already special "styles" for Swordmasters, Ironbreakers, and Wardancers (Way of the Sword, Ancestor, and Ritual Dance respectively). There are also actions for Troll Slayers and Waywatchers, though not as many.

I think humans are overdue. 

You both are perfectly right. Sorry on this point.

These are own seperate fighting styles. And yes Doc, they are really overdue. I rest my case.

Feqz said:

You both are perfectly right. Sorry on this point.

These are own seperate fighting styles. And yes Doc, they are really overdue. I rest my case.

Awesome dude, you rock! I sure wish more people would admit when they are wrong or when they have been convinced by evidence.

I'm really excited about Omens of War now, before I was just itching mainly for Black Fire Pass, but now I see just how great this supplement will be. By the way is it just me or do the enhance cards seem particularly awesome?

For the Empire!

Amani said:

I'm really excited about Omens of War now, before I was just itching mainly for Black Fire Pass, but now I see just how great this supplement will be. By the way is it just me or do the enhance cards seem particularly awesome?

For the Empire!

Yes, I agre those Enhance cards are cool and very useful specialy for heroes on rank 2 or 3. This expansion will be awesome. Can't wait for the release date. Let's hope it will soon hit stores.

Interesting preview, nice to see that one of my PCs (currently a coachman) will have a good career to move into when he hits Rank 2!

I was expecting the horse 'pet' card to have a trick slot or two on it though. Maybe this is reserved for Warhorses only to make them more special.

commuterzombie said:

Interesting preview, nice to see that one of my PCs (currently a coachman) will have a good career to move into when he hits Rank 2!

I was expecting the horse 'pet' card to have a trick slot or two on it though. Maybe this is reserved for Warhorses only to make them more special.

That's what I was expecting and hope it shows up as well. (My players were just joking about taking some of those cards and giving them to the cow they were given.) Is the Small But Vicious Dog a "follower" as well as a pet?

Everyone can take those actions. I think there is just a single card that is limited to the slayer career.

A human sword master could very well use the elf sword master cards. There are no issues with that.

Gallows said:

Everyone can take those actions. I think there is just a single card that is limited to the slayer career.

A human sword master could very well use the elf sword master cards. There are no issues with that.

Well, I'd say that there were issues of verisimilitude. It would be a bit odd for an imperial peasant or soldier to start a ritual dance. I'd need a **** good justification from the player as to why they were taking that action.

commuterzombie said:

Gallows said:

Well, I'd say that there were issues of verisimilitude. It would be a bit odd for an imperial peasant or soldier to start a ritual dance. I'd need a **** good justification from the player as to why they were taking that action.

He wouldn't be doing a ritual dance, but just some fancy fencing moves. I see the cards more as examples of what they can represent, but the actual effect can be used by anyone. When he learns a ritual dance card he doesn't learn the actual wood elf ritual dancing, but just practices fancy sword play.

Exactly as Gallows says. Action Card Traits are not requirements. While the "typical" usage is as a Path/Dance by various elves (for example), similar effects can be gained by a human. So, while the human probably wouldn't call the action "Speed of Asuryan" (like what is on the card), for example, but maybe call it "Speed of Verena" or something ... the effects of the two actions, however, can be identical.  For roleplaying purposes, FFG gave the action a specific cool name. It isn't restricted to a specific race or career, however.

Gallows said:

He wouldn't be doing a ritual dance, but just some fancy fencing moves. I see the cards more as examples of what they can represent, but the actual effect can be used by anyone. When he learns a ritual dance card he doesn't learn the actual wood elf ritual dancing, but just practices fancy sword play.

That would be an example of an acceptable justification :). What I wouldn't want is someone taking a regular Empire character and making them dance around naked without armour, leaping into attacks. Well actually I guess if they were an insane flagellant this would be okay too!

souljawebb said:

I think Warrior Priest and Battle Wizard careers will be in here. Anyone care to speculate!!!

That would be nice but that's pure speculations. And there will be only 10 careers and one is Outrider.

And if we want to speculate then here's my wish list: Empire Greatsword, Sergeant, Knight (with Talent Knightly Order), Dwarf Hammerer, Squire.

But I can only hope that when they announce the Slaanesh expansion we will see a Bard carrer.

souljawebb said:

I think Warrior Priest and Battle Wizard careers will be in here. Anyone care to speculate!!!

For one, warrior priests are covered in Signs of Faith, there's Myrmidia/Sigmar/Ulric, all three can be beasts in combat.

Battle Wizard career is a magic user career, and would thus not be covered in a martial expansion, but in a (if it ever comes) "advanced" Winds of Magic expansion.

But so many things that are more likely to come before, Slaneesh and Dwarves for one, but I also think they might be the first to do Elves, because this is an expansion even the grognards would care to purchase.

Spivo said:

Battle Wizard career is a magic user career, and would thus not be covered in a martial expansion, but in a (if it ever comes) "advanced" Winds of Magic expansion.

I dunno, I could see it working. Sort of like a separate career that can be taken after you've completed Apprentice or Journeyman. Perhaps the Career ability is something like: All damaging spells get DR +1 or something. And one of the career skills would be Weapon Skill.

Meh, it's possible...

Spivo said:

souljawebb said:

For one, warrior priests are covered in Signs of Faith, there's Myrmidia/Sigmar/Ulric, all three can be beasts in combat.

But so many things that are more likely to come before, Slaneesh and Dwarves for one, but I also think they might be the first to do Elves, because this is an expansion even the grognards would care to purchase.

Actually warrior priests are not covered in signs of faith there is a char that clearly shows warrior priest as a seperate career, just like battle wizard or wizard lord are both seperate careers. Since warrior priests and battle wizards both march in the Empires Armies its not beyond the realm of possibilties that they may be in a WAR expansion as rank 4 advance careers. Your thoughts people.