Sign in to follow this  
Londoncalling

we must be due for an annoucment soon!!

For a long time now I've been wondering when the next expansion would be announced.

With each week of silence that goes by, however, my wonderings are slowly eroding to: *will* another expansion be announced?

FFG could give us the Forest expansion, then they have more time to work on the City expansion.

I hope that we still get a big box expansion for this year

They can have other issues than designing and playtesting expansion. Maybe they are negotiating prices for manufacturing the game in china. Or maybe they run into license problems with games workshop. Or maybe they decided they want to abandon this talisman line...

I think guciomir has a point.  I spoke with the owner of a local hobby shop late in 2010 and he'd heard along the distant grapevine that there were production problems with one of the Chinese factories FFG deals with.  Recent flooding in Australia might have exacerbated this problem because many tons of coal used to fuel Chinese power stations come from the Eastern side of Oz.  However, I spoke to the same owner about three weeks ago and he also pointed out that GW licences are up for renewal, although he didn't know if Talisman was one of the titles -- but even if Talisman isn't on the table, presumably protracted licensing negotiations could affect other FFG operations.

Hopefully this is completely misleading information and an annoucement about a new expansion will appear on the web site next Monday happy.gif

Adding to the thread above (and I've enjoyed reading posts from other fans), it wouldn't surprise me to see a totally different expansion in 2011 and a massively reworked "City" set for 2012.  My friends spent a large chunk of their youth playing Talisman and one of them, he tells me proudly, bought an entire 3e version (with all the expansions including the Tower you place at the center of the board) in almost mint condition at a garage sale.  Anyway, being a late starter, I must be one of the few people who have started Talisman 4.5 and gone backwards.  When I played with them last time, while I thought the artwork was interesting (more cartoon-like than 4.5), I have to admit the "City" expansion was very disappointing.  Combined with different movement in the city and misadventures down the docks, once someone else grabbed a special role (Sheriff?) it was time to visit other regions.  Oddly enough (or perhaps not, experienced posters will know better), we had six players and not a single one went into the "Forest" expansion -- in contrast to the "Dungeon" and the "Highlands" areas.  But should FFG replicate the forest, I hope they do something for the 4.5 Elf because he's a character that just doesn't seem to work for me at the moment.

Although I have personal favorites, everything FFG I've seen so far (Descent, DungeonQuest, Runebound, Talisman) has been good quality and fun to play.  So I trust FFG folks to take their time and work their magic with the next Talisman offering.

jd3 said:

I think guciomir has a point.  I spoke with the owner of a local hobby shop late in 2010 and he'd heard along the distant grapevine that there were production problems with one of the Chinese factories FFG deals with. 

Could be a good reason for this delayment

jd3 said:

we had six players and not a single one went into the "Forest" expansion -- in contrast to the "Dungeon" and the "Highlands" areas.  But should FFG replicate the forest, I hope they do something for the 4.5 Elf because he's a character that just doesn't seem to work for me at the moment.

I hope too, that if the Forest will be released, that it contain some wood spaces.

I hope also that it contains more spirits than strength type enemies. Craft type characters need a chance to level themselve up.

It is also a good region to hunt a lot of animals.

Maybe they could add a mysterious old temple for praying characters.

Or another graveyard...lengua.gif

ReverendBayes said:

For a long time now I've been wondering when the next expansion would be announced.

With each week of silence that goes by, however, my wonderings are slowly eroding to: *will* another expansion be announced? 

I can't imagine FFG would discontinue the line.  The name is well established and the game is accessible to a wide audience.  In short, I can only assume Talisman is among the better selling games in the FFG catalog.

Most likely the company is either facing delays of some sort or have chosen to reduce the release rate to one Talisman expansion per year.

Well i thought i would email customer service to see if i could get any info on the next expansion, was after reassurance. here is the reply..

Hello Nick,

We announce games regularly, when they ready - always on our website  
first (I can not 'leak' info about games before Marketing puts them on  
the website). However, it's not even been 6 months since the last  
expansion (Sacred Pool) came out. We do have to balance different game  
lines throughout the year!

Thanks for your patience,
Thaadd Powell
Customer Service
Fantasy Flight Games

So guess this next expansion isn't sticking to the release schedule as the others.. oh well back to waiting..i tried :(

Londoncalling said:

(I can not 'leak' info about games before Marketing puts them on  

Thaadd Powell

So guess this next expansion isn't sticking to the release schedule as the others.. oh well back to waiting..i tried :(

Maybe this is a veiled hint! If they release 2 per year then that would be one every 6 months!  Perhaps Mr. Powell is stating in a round about way....

I am not allowed to tell you stuff before we announce it on our site first.  However, expect something to pop up six months after the last one.

That would be about April 22nd.  

The reason I bring this up is because he could have stopped at "sorry I can't say anything" but specifically said the 6 month thing.  Food for thought.

Gigerstreak said:

Londoncalling said:

Thaadd Powell

Maybe this is a veiled hint! If they release 2 per year then that would be one every 6 months!  Perhaps Mr. Powell is stating in a round about way....

I am not allowed to tell you stuff before we announce it on our site first.  However, expect something to pop up six months after the last one.

The reason I bring this up is because he could have stopped at "sorry I can't say anything" but specifically said the 6 month thing.  Food for thought.

I think that she's basically saying to be patient. Probably good advice.

Hi guys Im new hear. The Forest Expansion sounds REALLY cool. It would also be cool if there was some little quest you could do for an elf and hunt down a specific type of animal.

crimhead said:

Most likely the company is either facing delays of some sort or have chosen to reduce the release rate to one Talisman expansion per year.

I hope that they have not reduce it to one expansion per yearpreocupado.gif

I think that it has been delayed..

Gigerstreak said:

Londoncalling said:

Thaadd Powell

It makes no sense what Thaad is saying..

The dungeon and Highland expansion was announced in february, but it was released around 6 months later( in may), after the small expansion was released in oktober/november

It's still a delayment, because they was no news in february.....sad.gif

Nemomon said:

burst said:

I like the new avatars! :)

/me not. They removed my old avatar enfadado.gif

Sometimes you need a new onelengua.gif

You have that old avater for so many yearsgui%C3%B1o.gif

I wrote a email to FFG about a month ago asking about the expected expansion but only got the reply that they didnt know anything, and by the time they did know it will also be published on the website´s newspage.

Seems really strange. Like some already mentioned, it´s so far been february announcements for the may-releases (big expansion). Maybe the delay is a manufacturing-problem but that´s also strange as FFG is releasing tons of other products. This also scares me a little bit, cause if it´s only a simple delay - It seems like FFG should have done an announcement about that too - to calm the fans down. Silence might mean bigger trouble ... :-(

Is it possible that earlier Talisman-expansions have not reached expected sales? I would be extremely dissapointed if they dropped Talisman, leaving us hanging with only two out of four corner-expansions!

Regards,
Henrik

The subject has been already discussed above, take care to read all of it.

Some new information, well, rumour. Apparantly FFG has changed factory where Arhkam Horror is being printed and this is why there are some delays for Arkham Horror as well (new shipping of reprinted, old expansions). Given the fact that Talisman and Arkham Horror are quite similar, MAYBE this means that Talisman is also changing its factory.

Personally, I think that LOTR LCG is the real reason. Target customer for both LOTR LCG and Talisman may be the same and FFG will probably want to encourage players to give a chance to LOTR. So in the end, they will buy LOTR and Talisman. If they release both LOTR and new expansion for Talisman, players may stick with just Talisman and not buy LOTR.

There's a full Talisman reprint undergoing, from base set to most recent expansions (only Highland and Frostmarch have not been announced, but Frostmarch came out some months ago). It seems that the "printer issue" has been solved, if there was any.

Let's hope this wave of reprints will soon be followed by the new big box expansion. Everybody is waiting for it.

The_Warlock said:

There's a full Talisman reprint undergoing, from base set to most recent expansions (only Highland and Frostmarch have not been announced, but Frostmarch came out some months ago). It seems that the "printer issue" has been solved, if there was any.

Let's hope this wave of reprints will soon be followed by the new big box expansion. Everybody is waiting for it.

Yea, that could be a good explanation for them to wait with the new expansion, since they have to have the Talisman main game and other expansion ready for new interested talisman players.