Sign in to follow this  
Butterfli_beauty

Would you ever throw away the Talisman boxes? A storage question.

I am looking for a good way to store my Talisman.  I like most of you have the core game, all the available expansions, and will be purchasing the new expansions as they are released.   I think I found a solution that would allow me to fit everything in a single box with plenty of room to grow but it would involve not using ANY of the original boxes.  Would this be considered a sin against all that is Talisman?  I am very new to the game so I don't know what is acceptable storage protocol.  Is it a crime to throw out all the original boxes?  I sure feel like it would be yet I don't what all these boxes hanging around either.  Do I just suck it up and ditch them?  Or do I suck it up and use more than one of the original Talisman boxes for storage?  What do you do? 

They're your boxes so it's really up to you what you do with them!

I've got all of the expansions in the core game box, but I had to remove the plastic container from it. However, next time there's an expansion with a board I'll have to use a second box I think.

No deed that you mentioned is a crime to me, but I also feel bad throwing away the empty boxes.

I use one talisman box (base set) to keep all the cards, the main board, manuals and counters; I adapted a big box in order to host the corner boards and all painted miniatures, including the figures from Runebound, Dungeon Quest and World of Warcraft, which are a remarkable crowd. I have room for all Talisman expansions, I hope.

I have all the Talisman expansions, and although the box lid sits a teensy bit high, I don't find this troublesome.   I didn't throw out the insert, either...

Now if I could just find a way to fit all my Arkham Horror expansions into a single box, along with the business card holders I use to save space on the table... 

how about does anyone no a site with a folding table big enough for 4 players and there objects plus the board after all four corner expansions not exactly topic but close enough

loken14 said:

how about does anyone no a site with a folding table big enough for 4 players and there objects plus the board after all four corner expansions not exactly topic but close enough

I'm not sure which country you're in, but you could always try Ikea!

EvilEdwin said:

loken14 said:

I'm not sure which country you're in, but you could always try Ikea!

america

I am probably not alone, but I am still searching for the optimum storage solution for my games.

I currently have them in two large (main game) boxes and am using plastic Really Useful Boxes to keep the cards etc in.

I am always on the lookout for something that might be better, and even carry a sleeved Talisman card in my wallet to test various solutions as I find them. When I reach for my wallet whilst out shopping, my better half breathes an audible sigh and wanders off in the other direction! Which is handy, as I COULD be getting some money out!

I have seen a few nice wooden boxes around, and can't help thinking that the best solution will be not to use the original boxes at all... time will tell.

talismanisland said:

I am always on the lookout for something that might be better, and even carry a sleeved Talisman card in my wallet to test various solutions as I find them. When I reach for my wallet whilst out shopping, my better half breathes an audible sigh and wanders off in the other direction! Which is handy, as I COULD be getting some money out!

He he, I recognize this situation ;-)

talismanisland said:

I am probably not alone, but I am still searching for the optimum storage solution for my games.

I currently have them in two large (main game) boxes and am using plastic Really Useful Boxes to keep the cards etc in.

I have seen a few nice wooden boxes around, and can't help thinking that the best solution will be not to use the original boxes at all... time will tell.

dude u r gettin really into it but nah i hear ur problem im having the same problem as i just have just way too many boxes as i just got 4 board game plus some expansions since november and am now realizing i dont have the room but dont have a better solution

My solution for card storage was to purchase an aluminum carry case and move all of my Talisman components over to it. As a result, I have plenty of storage and lots of storage for future expansions and boards. In addition, all of my materials are neatly organized and protected. Also since, I'm not using my Talisman box for storage, it is not subject to wear and tear and damage. Here is a photo of the case beside of my Talisman box for comparison. The case measures 18" long by 13" wide by 6" high. I've also considered using sticker paper and printing some Talisman graphics to decorate the exterior of the case.

outsidecase4.jpg

For cards, tokens, miniatures, and other item storage, I use the "Really Useful Boxes" that others have mentioned.

The breakdown of box sizes are: 3 Qty - .1 LT,      6 Qty - .2 LT,      10 Qty - .3 LT

cards4.jpg    board4q.jpg

The top has storage where a flap folds down and there is storage behind. This is where I store my Talisman main board and expansion boards.

Total cost of my card storage solution - $40.00.  The Carry Case - $20.00. "Really Useful Boxes" - $20.00. For the security against damage, the extra storage space and the organization, I didn't feel the price was too excessive

jondee986 said:

My solution for card storage was to purchase an aluminum carry case and move all of my Talisman components over to it. As a result, I have plenty of storage and lots of storage for future expansions and boards. In addition, all of my materials are neatly organized and protected. Also since, I'm not using my Talisman box for storage, it is not subject to wear and tear and damage. Here is a photo of the case beside of my Talisman box for comparison. The case measures 18" long by 13" wide by 6" high. I've also considered using sticker paper and printing some Talisman graphics to decorate the exterior of the case.

outsidecase4.jpg

For cards, tokens, miniatures, and other item storage, I use the "Really Useful Boxes" that others have mentioned.

The breakdown of box sizes are: 3 Qty - .1 LT,      6 Qty - .2 LT,      10 Qty - .3 LT

The top has storage where a flap folds down and there is storage behind. This is where I store my Talisman main board and expansion boards.

Total cost of my card storage solution - $40.00.  The Carry Case - $20.00. "Really Useful Boxes" - $20.00. For the security against damage, the extra storage space and the organization, I didn't feel the price was too excessive

can u please post a link as to where u got that box

jondee986 said:

My solution for card storage was to purchase an aluminum carry case and move all of my Talisman components over to it. As a result, I have plenty of storage and lots of storage for future expansions and boards. In addition, all of my materials are neatly organized and protected. Also since, I'm not using my Talisman box for storage, it is not subject to wear and tear and damage. Here is a photo of the case beside of my Talisman box for comparison. The case measures 18" long by 13" wide by 6" high. I've also considered using sticker paper and printing some Talisman graphics to decorate the exterior of the case.Total cost of my card storage solution - $40.00.  The Carry Case - $20.00. "Really Useful Boxes" - $20.00. For the security against damage, the extra storage space and the organization, I didn't feel the price was too excessive

A link would be Fantastic

jondee986 said:

outsidecase4.jpg

I use something very similar to this as well. Even use the same boxes. I am using a RUB container to hold all of my smaller RUB as well. I don't ever plan on throwing the original boxes away, but I am glad I am not using them anymore.. We used the original so much that some of the corners started tearing, and I was becoming afraid that it would fall apart. Now the boxes just sit in a closet collecting dust.

Mr. Brogger said:

Here is a solution that I use. I only need two of the boxes this way.

I keep all boxes in case one of the two are getting damaged.

Cheers

new_box_container_20100517_2092902072.jp

new_box_container_20100517_2067052998.jp

Very nice!!

I feel silly for not thinking of this.

I went through the same table issue recently but I wanted something that was big enough to play both Talisman and Arkham Horror with all expansions. 

The only option I found that would fit both games was buying two of the same folding table (72" x 30") which you can use a single table, with maybe a few side tables, for a small to med game of Arkham Horror.  If you use both together it gives a lot of room to play a big game of Arkham Horror or Talisman.  I ended up getting the following table but from Costco for about the same price:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-6-Foot-Long-Center-Fold-Table/13269097

For just Talisman (49 1/2" x 39")  you could try a 48" circular folding table but you are going to have a slight overhang and probably need extra TV dinner tables.  They also seem to go for about $100.

A 60" round seems like a perfect size for Talisman but seems like once you go to 60" round folding tables they assume you are running a banquet hall and start charging more or only selling 5 tables at a time:

http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-22970-5-Foot-60-Inch-White-Granite/dp/B0002QZ32M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1297012633&sr=8-15

Everyone seems to be coocoo for optimal storage.  That's awesome, and the posted pictures look nifty and well organized, but I'm completely the opposite; I enjoy looking at a shelf full of games.  Heck, FFG boxes look particularly good!  I tried consolidating all the contents of my Talisman collection into one box, and it worked at the time (probably wouldn't any more with the additional expansions).  It was just too sad to see the one lonely box on the shelf instead of the usual stack.  It wasn't long before I put everything back the way it had been before.

Anyway, that's just me.

-MD

Mr. Brogger said:

Cheers

I did something similar to this. I used some double sided tape on some small cardboard boxes (boxes for watches, jewelry etc) to stick them into the original game box. Then I used some cardboard pieces to bridge the small boxes and make some more small rooms.

Mr. Brogger said:

Cheers

I think this looks beautiful and wonder what materials you used for the dividers.  I think I will be doing this or something close.

Terek