Sign in to follow this  
dosan

please, need help for buying card sleeves for my Arkham Horror game and 2 expansions!

I am new in buying card sleeves, i dont know wich ones to buy, i look for good quality, but also the price is an issue, especially for the fantasy flight ones, that are expensive. Please, what are you experiences, wich brands are good for this? Thanks to all

Mayday games offers sleeves in the right size.

Or if you are looking for sizes:

The small cards are 64mm long and 42mm wide. The large cards are 88,5mm long and 57,5mm wide.

IMHO, the best sleeves ever are those produced by FFG. I used to sleeve everything with UltraPRO sleeves, simply because they were the only one available where I live, but, as soon as I had the chance to try those produced by FFG, I changed evertyhing. They're thick, but not too much, really resistant and make everything easier to shuffle. Once I had a Mythos card falling into a jug of water: after fishing the card, it was a pleasure to notice it had not been damaged. Beware of one thing: I don't use the Standard American, because they are to thight, and you have to squeeze a little the cards to them into the sleeves. I prefer using Standard European even for American Boardgames, simply because it suits better the card shape, not to mention is a little thinner and thus you can save some room

For small cards, Mini American are ok!

dosan said:

thank you for your opinions, right now the only problem i see with the FFG sleeves is its price :(

Well, there's the old saying "You get what you pay for." Most of the time it applies to cheap wares being just that, but according to what I hear and see across these boards (and BGG), FFG's stuff is on the positive side of the spectrum! It is too bad it's pricy though :-

dosan said:

thank you for your opinions, right now the only problem i see with the FFG sleeves is its price :(

Yep, unfortunately they're not that cheap. But they are worth the money you invest on them ::nodding:: anyway, there is another kind of sleeves that could fit your needs and is a little cheaper. I think Dam uses them, but I cannot remember the producer, sorry! If you search the forum with "sleeve" as keyword and as author of the post Dam, you should be able to resume the topic

Julia said:

dosan said:

Yep, unfortunately they're not that cheap. But they are worth the money you invest on them ::nodding:: anyway, there is another kind of sleeves that could fit your needs and is a little cheaper. I think Dam uses them, but I cannot remember the producer, sorry! If you search the forum with "sleeve" as keyword and as author of the post Dam, you should be able to resume the topic

Agree that its worth paying the extra for the FFG sleeves. I do find however that once sleeved there is no chance that the mythos or other world cards can ever be used in a single stack again (if you have all expansions). 

If you can find Arcane Tinmen sleeves in your neck of the woods (seem most common here in Europe), those work just as well as FFG's. Better IMO, as they are cheaper and come in packs of 100 sleeves (vs FFG's 50).

Dam said:

If you can find Arcane Tinmen sleeves in your neck of the woods (seem most common here in Europe), those work just as well as FFG's. Better IMO, as they are cheaper and come in packs of 100 sleeves (vs FFG's 50).

Looked into them, the price difference is almost non-existent on the small cards and minimal on the normal cards. Buying them in small bulk (around 8 packs each) barely amounts to a 5€ less than the FFG ones.

Looking at the current prices in the shop where I get my AH fix, I will try getting my sleeves from Mayday, compared to others they are almost 10€ less expensive.

hi dosan,

I also had a similar problem with wanting the quality of FFG, but worried about their price, and my suggestion is to only buy sleeves for cards that are handled and shuffled all of the time. For instance, the most handled cards are the Arkham Encounter cards, which are constantly shuffled/fanned out/etc. I noticed that these began to get a bit natty on my 5th or 6th play. However, something like the Mythos cards are shuffled once at the beginning, but are then handled very frugally compared to the Encounters, which mean that they are less subjected to the huge mess of grease, moisture, and dirt that are our hands. They should last a good long time. So, imho, just purchase sleeves for encounters, innsmouth look, and maybe some of the mini cards that are constantly used (magical effects/relationships/allies etc). You'll save a lot of money, I promise :).

Shub-Niggurath said:

Agree that its worth paying the extra for the FFG sleeves. I do find however that once sleeved there is no chance that the mythos or other world cards can ever be used in a single stack again (if you have all expansions). 

Yep, the stack is quite huge ::laughing:: my problem is that my hands aren't big enough to shuffle the WHOLE dam(n) stack. So everytime I play a game with all expansions in (which means only when I play Avi's league - hi darling, you're always on my mind ::laughing::) I have to do some fine jugglery in order to avoid having all cards scattered on my kitchen's floor more than three times / game...

Julia said:

Shub-Niggurath said:

Yep, the stack is quite huge ::laughing:: my problem is that my hands aren't big enough to shuffle the WHOLE dam(n) stack. So everytime I play a game with all expansions in (which means only when I play Avi's league - hi darling, you're always on my mind ::laughing::) I have to do some fine jugglery in order to avoid having all cards scattered on my kitchen's floor more than three times / game...

Fan Creation League strikes again!

Oh, I don't use premium sleeves for the large cards (Mythos, OW Encounter, etc.), penny sleeves for those all the way.

Talisman's Adventure deck is at 300+ cards and 15.5cm (6" and change) tall, and while I do shuffle it in smaller chunks, I do keep it as one single deck during play. Hasn't fallen over once.

Has anyone used FFG's art sleeves for their AH cards?  I know they're too big for the smaller cards, but I'm thinking about using them for the Mythos and Gate Encounter decks.  It looks like they're about 1/4 inch too wide or so... is that going to be a problem or do you guys think I'll be okay with those?

Speaking of sleeves... Any idea for Investigators/AOO Sheets? FFG doesn't provide anything for their protection, and looking around on the internet I found nothing.

I don't like the idea of using them "naked". Expecialy if the players have bad habits , like keeping a mug of beer soooo close to the sheets...

I never thought of plastifying them. What are your experiences with it? And also , is it cheap to plastify all the cards?

Most importantly, does the card´s images are affected , or not clear enough?

About the card sleeves, yes, i believe the ffg ones are good, just its scare me the price, although the idea of using the sleeves only for the most used cards is interesting.

Some people in a forum said that the MayDay cards are bad quality, and that dont fit well with arkham horror, i dont remember the link, it is that true?

I say this because they are more cheaper, but i want to know if they do the job, or if they should be avoided also

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/605545/protecting-components

GOO/Investigator sleeves are talked about in the thread. For Mayday, I seem to recall that buying the listed size sleeves (so 63x41 for small cards), they'll be too small and you'll need to buy the next size up (65x44?), but not 100% on that.

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/551981/elder-godsinvestigator-sleeves

dosan said:

I never thought of plastifying them. What are your experiences with it? And also , is it cheap to plastify all the cards?

Most importantly, does the card´s images are affected , or not clear enough?

Images are as clear as they were before being plastified, and I'm definitely happy with this. Remember, when you cut the figure out, to leave at least 3 mm borders all around the "sealing zone", in order the plastification won't open (this will be very disappointing, since air will go under the plastic and the effect is just terrible). As a side note, not every place that do plastifications has a good machine. In case the machine is old, or they don't know how to make it work properly, the risk is that some tiny microbubbles of air remains under the plastic, and this franky sucks. So, in case you go for plastifying the bigger sheets, do a test before on something you printed.

As far as costs are concerned, I think it heavily depends on prices in the state where you live. In my city, I'm able to find places where plastifying an A4 size (thus 2 AOs or 2 investigator) costs me 1.50 euro. So, basically 0.75 euro / sheet. Which could be expensive if you try to plastify everything at the same time, but otherwise it can be affordable.

As a side-note, I'll never plastify "ordinary" cards, such as Mythos or small items, since sleeves are by far easier to shuffle

dosan said:

so , how much do you think  cost to plastify all the cards in the standard set?

No idea, sorry. You can calculate this, but it would be something very imprecise. Anyway, really, if you plastify the small cards, you won't be able to shuffle the decks. I'm not able to shuffle the characters for the very same reason (thus I created a character's cup, I draw the chits and then search for the matching sheets)