Sign in to follow this  
Section9

Obsidian Portal Alternative

Hello.

I've been looking around the forums and it seems that while a lot of people like Obsidian portal, they feel that theres needs to be something more specific to the Dark Heresy family of games.

I quite fancy a new project so was wondering whether it would be worth it or are people too invested in Obsidian Portal?

Cheers for your time!!! happy.gif

Its essentially a program that helps you organize your game (NPC's, treasure, XP) and keep track of the storyline. Overall, I don't think its really necessary unless you have a really in depth storyline and a huge gaming world to keep tabs on.

It's really only necessary for games that require absurd amounts of book keeping and rules tracking - like Dungeons and Dragons. Just watching my friend GM that game sends shivers up my spine. The sheer amount of EFFORT required for such little reward is horrifying.

Hellebore

I use Obsidian Portal for my DH campaign, Victory Demands Sacrifice. Then again, I wrote Obsidian Portal, so no surprise there.

You can use it as you like, but I mainly just dump my session planning notes in the GM only section of the adventure log. You won't see much there, as it's all private to me. I used to get my players to do write ups after each session, but we got lazy. It didn't negatively impact the campaign, so I was OK with it.

IMO, the most useful part is the character list. Keeping track of all my NPCs has always been a pain, and Obsidian Portal makes it so much easier.

If you haven't tried it, I'd highly suggest signing up and playing around. Every day we hear from people who were skeptical until they tried it for their campaign. It only requires as much effort as you want to put in, and even with a small amount of effort you can streamline a lot of the bookkeeping that goes into every campaign, regardless of rules or system.