Sign in to follow this  
Rat Catcher

Naked Dwarf Syndrome?

I would not say  no to that. Since Touhness + Armour = Soak a dwarf in armour is better of than a dwarf without.
That beeing said, Slayers get a bonus to soak (as a career ability) and at higher ranks the bonus is equal to a chain mail. Slayers also get a bonus to defence, so I guess that in some sense the Slayers (which are practicly naked) are tough enough to survive.

Still, in my group the Dwarf Soldier has a much better soak and defence than the dwarf Slayer has.

Monsters have the potential to do to much damage, I would not recomend beeing naked. The Slayer in the group has been unconcious and close to death more times than the other players together I think.

Rat Catcher said:

I heard the other day that the naked dwarf syndrome was still an issue in 3ed?

Wherein an unamoured dwarf is almost invincible because of his Toughness or something. Is this correct?

That's as incorrect as it can possibly be. A slayer is the only minor exception, but even a fully trained Giant Slayer will not have near the defence and soak of an Iron Breaker.

I would agree with the posters above, though I haven't taken the time to really test it out.  There is an armoured dwarf in my group, pit fighter turned soldier.  He can dish it out really well, but often ends up down to his last few wounds after a really good fight.

I have an iron breaker in my group with full gromril armor.

His soak is 4+5+1 = 10

His defence is: 1+2 = 3

A fully decked our troll slayer can get close to that with his abilities and effects of some action cards, but he'll never have as much soak as an iron breaker. But considering it's the only career that can fight naked and have a good soak I don't see it as a problem. It's not like slayers live for long anyway.

Also, unlike 2e, a successful hit will always do at least 1 Wound, and criticals convert into wounds. So, even with an opponent that has a very high soak, anyone can do a couple Wounds after a few rounds and eventually be taken down by a mob of enemies. No one is invincible in 3e.