Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFG Ross Watson

Deathwatch Living Errata/FAQ

198 posts in this topic

cis013 said:

You are correct.  Master Cyber is just extra sweet looking.

 

One idea for hot-fixing that was to give the piece of cybernetics one of the bonuses for Signature Wargear(Master) items.

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edsel62 said:

Shaun said:

 

In Rites of Battle a variety of deeds and the like allow you to add +10 to a skill, I presume this is on top of whatever you have the skill at, allowing you to get a skill at +30?

 

 

This is how our group has been using it. The +10 is a modifier (or improvement) beyond the scope of the normal +10 & +20 Advances.

Some are clearly modifiers - look at the way the extra bonus to Forbidden Lore (Xenos) is written - while others (like the adjustments found in Defensive Genius and Strike Team Specialist) are clearly advancements to the skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On untyped items and such different Deeds and Specialities grant:

"Salutations Acolyte!

I'm filling in for Ross today answering some rules questions.

If an item does not have a craftsmanship associated with it, then it is automatically considered common quality. The Deathwatch Champion gains a Power Sword or Combat Shield as part of their standard gear, if they want a Best Quality they will need to spend requisition just as any other marine would to upgrade their Bolter. If the GM wishes, however, he could certainly over-ride that.

I hope this helps!

 

Mack Martin

Associate RPG Producer

mmartin@fantasyflightgames.com"

So that means the Champion gets common quality stuff, which I doubt anyone would put to use. At that point most will probably req higher quality items, or even have Sig Wargear Maste (or spend 1000 xp when able to get a relic, even better).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have a definite answer on upgrading starting gear ? I would say it is a no during normal requisition procedure. However in regards to things which one keeps forever, it might be a bit different. Does one pay only the point difference if one takes a signature wargear talent to upgrade it ? What about weapon modification, if somebody wants to add a fire selector (not detachable) to their pistol, do they have to requisition the pistol as well ? Does it work the same for scopes (detachable) ? If somebody got an answer to some or all of those, please post it here, if not, time to send the question in i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi [HappyDaze],

Thanks for sending in your question regarding Deathwatch.

Yes, the Rank 4 cost of Rapid Reload for the Deathwatch Devastator Marine should actually be 200xp. The 500xp cost was a misprint and will be corrected in the next edition of the errata.

I hope that helps!


Andrew Fischer
Associate RPG Producer
Fantasy Flight Games
afischer@fantasyfightgames.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked a question about Overwatch because in Deathwatch you can choose from Suppressing Fire, Full-Auto Burst, and Semi-Auto Burst when your Overwatch triggers (pg 241 Core Rulebook), but you still gain the benefits of Suppressing fire regardless (next page). Why would anyone ever choose the redundant Suppressing Fire? This is the answer I got:

Your observation regarding Overwatch is fairly accurate, however there are currently no plans to change the implementation of the action. If a GM is unhappy with the way it currently works he could change the difficulty of the Hard (-20) Pinning Test on Overwatch to be easier, this would give the players incentive to use Suppressive Fire for it’s increased chance to pin. Again, it is completely up to you and your group, there is no intention to change Overwatch at this time.

I hope that helps!

--
Andrew Fischer
Associate RPG Producer
Fantasy Flight Games
afischer@fantasyfightgames.com
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HappyDaze said:

Yes, the Rank 4 cost of Rapid Reload for the Deathwatch Devastator Marine should actually be 200xp. The 500xp cost was a misprint and will be corrected in the next edition of the errata.

I hope that helps!

is there a similar typo concerning  rapid reaction (rank 3 general marine advance for 500 xp or devistator rank 6 for 500 xp)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, new to the forum.

I got a few questions that got raised during our gaming. First off:

 

> why dosnt tech marines get comon lore tech? its a comon skill that are usually kinda used in rogue trader and dark herasy for when explaining tech. A tech marine dont have anything like it, feels kinda odd.

>Plasma weapons are very underpowered in deathwatch after the damage for bolters got increased compaired to the other games. Considering how extremly awesome bolters are against hordes and the auto fire function it have,  plasma have no chance. definitly not when it cost so much in req to get it also. It feels kinda sad to see a weapon that are a bit of an icon for high ranking brothers beeing so bad compaired to the regular weapons.

>the dmg for assulting a horde can be kinda broken when it comes to some monsters. In an adventure the kill-team faces an genestealer infestation and my group almost died vs solo genestealers, attacking with 4 attacks each, shreding their armor to **** and doing enough dmg to drop a brother in one round. then they got to many and formed a horde, and the kill team managed to slaughter the horde in one round. Bolterdmg, frag grenades and assultmarine charge. Nothing of thoose attacks would have hit or done enough dmg on one genestealer, but on the horde it was a massacre. 

 

English isnt my native tongue, so spelling errors you just have to live with. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I read that encounter, when they form a horde they will be in melee with everyone and given the size of even a magnitude 10 horde disengaging to get some range and hose them down won't be an option. 

 

That said I like the way that someone else here described it: 1 ninja is deadly, 100 ninjas are cannon fodder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Yup.

And you could use a hybrid rule : when there are too many stealers, they form a horde, at which point the Marines have an easy target to shoot at with their shiny bolters (even if one stealer dodges the shots, there'll be another one behind him...), but when the magnitude crosse a threshold (like 15), then the horde disbands and the Marines get back to fighting solo stealers (that represents the fact that there are not enough stealers to efficiently shoot "in the mass" and have a good chance of hitting one...).

That would synthetize two aspects of such a fight : the awesomeness of the Marines ("**** yeah, we just killed a whole buncha stealers here !") and the deadliness of the stealers ("...but when there were only 8 remaining, we had such a hard time that Brother Maynard nearly got killed...").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nifelfang:

Check out Maximal mode for plasma weapons (pg 147, Deathwatch Core, under Firing Plasma Weapons), it's pretty much what sets them apart.  Plasma is also useful for heavily armored, non-alien foes (think Traitor Marines); the weapons have high Penetration, and the Volatile quality, which means your marines automatically get righteous fury on a 10 damage roll, just as if they were fighting aliens.

I've had the same problem with Hordes, ironically genestealer hordes, when playing.  Marines can tear up a genestealer horde with ranged weaponry.  Although, they are still incredibly deadly in Horde form if they get to close combat, and the Marines can no longer Dodge or Parry....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 True, although the plasma maximum only makes them slightly better then bolters, and as before, no autofire, no double dmg vs hordes, no tearing. and an increase of 3 more pen isnt a huge upgrade compaired to tearing quality. 

about the stealers, yeah they where in melee, the time they got to magnitude 10 one of the team members tossed a frag and killed them all due to the blast and X quality. after that they got some space from the rest of the stealers and i had to finnish the fight quickly by not making them solo again or i would have killed the whole team, not the best way to introduce them to the adventure.

Usually the horde represent a weak component, something the stealers are not so i guess horde isnt that broken, except when genestealers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nifelfang said:

 

 True, although the plasma maximum only makes them slightly better then bolters, and as before, no autofire, no double dmg vs hordes, no tearing. and an increase of 3 more pen isnt a huge upgrade compaired to tearing quality. 

about the stealers, yeah they where in melee, the time they got to magnitude 10 one of the team members tossed a frag and killed them all due to the blast and X quality. after that they got some space from the rest of the stealers and i had to finnish the fight quickly by not making them solo again or i would have killed the whole team, not the best way to introduce them to the adventure.

Usually the horde represent a weak component, something the stealers are not so i guess horde isnt that broken, except when genestealers. 

 

 

 

Even then it is not broken, whoever doctors horde stats need to do so informed. If the KT has trouble against a single genestealer but slaughters a horde in one round, then the magnitude has been way too low. Most likely the author has based the horde magnitude on imagined numbers only. But the dangerous factor of the individual creature which the horde is based on has to be taken into account properly too.

So if it has been a mag 20 or 30 genestealer horde, chances are it should have been a mag 40 to mag 60 horde. Or maybe even more.

Using horde rule properly needs experience and sadly the rules don't provide proper guidance so GMs have to learn to use them the hard way.

 

Alex

PS As for Plasma, a simple fix is to add 1d10 Damage to both Plasma and Melta weapons. And if that still isn't good enough, add 3 to Pen too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, overall, plasma just isn't as good, and you didn't even mention all the specialty ammunition for bolters that make them even better, and for cheaper requisition than getting a plasma gun.

I just wanted to point out that that within a certain niche, plasma weapons can be useful (Maximal mode does +4 more damage than a bolter also, not just better pen)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So ehm... is there some set date for the next errata update? Last one was in December (at least that's what the document states). Perhaps I'm mistaken but it seems to me that there is a lot of stuff that should be added. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah i do agree about that.

 

and about the magnitude scale. Yes i agree that the magnitude was way to low for the number of genestealers, but i was a written adventure so i followed their guidelines since i figured they knew what they where talking about. if the players would have a blast i would just up the magnitude, but they got butchered so... anyway, genestealers are way to powerful individualls to never be horde stuff if you ask me. I explained the difference in a horde vs a single genestealer with "have you seen the movie Alien and the followup Aliens?" easier to kill when many. although..still. [spoiler ENDS]

And i have also thought about upping the dmg on plasma with 1d10, maybe same with melta. downside is that i might have to change other stuff also, since then plasma will be to powerful and the spiral continues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nifelfang said:

yeah i do agree about that.

 

and about the magnitude scale. Yes i agree that the magnitude was way to low for the number of genestealers, but i was a written adventure so i followed their guidelines since i figured they knew what they where talking about.

 

Yeah, I know. I like the basic ideas of TEP but its execution isn't first class.

 

Nifelfang said:

if the players would have a blast i would just up the magnitude, but they got butchered so... anyway, genestealers are way to powerful individualls to never be horde stuff if you ask me. I explained the difference in a horde vs a single genestealer with "have you seen the movie Alien and the followup Aliens?" easier to kill when many. although..still. [spoiler ENDS]

And i have also thought about upping the dmg on plasma with 1d10, maybe same with melta. downside is that i might have to change other stuff also, since then plasma will be to powerful and the spiral continues. 

No, if you only add d10 to plasma and melta, the unmodified HB will still reign king among them. Even the Bolter with its specialty ammo will be better in most cases. +d10 is rather not enough than too much of a buff (try to kill a Rhino through the front armour with a thus buffed plasmagun: 3d10-11 penetrating, nearly impossible to one-shot it, even though you have +1d10 to damage! Even the buffed meltagun struggles to one-shot it at short range: 4d10-10 penetrating).

The only concern might be that the advanced Tau pulse tech might not look stellar in comparison to Astartes plasma. But then again the marines in DW are supposed to be epic and if their weapons outshine Tau rank&file weapons it is not against the spirit of the published setting.

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few questions, if anyone has answers...

Weakness as Strength in RoB - I take it the +2 TB and SB is not doubled for unnatural? I've assumed that anything adding to strength, etc. is taken into account for unnatural (except were specified, like armour boosts) but that additional bonuses are just that.

Tech-Marine servo arm attacks. Can you make a standard attack and then use your reaction for an additional attack with the servo arm? The rule against multiple actions with the same sub-type seem to forbid it but increasingly it seems to me that you should be able to do both.

SPOILERS AHEAD

In the final part of TEP the stat blocks for the Black Engine and Paragelle are identical which I can't help but think must be a misprint. I did e-mail FFG about this but have never recieved an answer. Has anyone else gotten one? I suppose it isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to know what they were meant to be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaun said:

I have a few questions, if anyone has answers...

Weakness as Strength in RoB - I take it the +2 TB and SB is not doubled for unnatural? I've assumed that anything adding to strength, etc. is taken into account for unnatural (except were specified, like armour boosts) but that additional bonuses are just that.

It's never been stated explicitly but RAI is that all additions take place after multiplications in DW in general unless explicitly stated that it is otherwise.

 

Shaun said:

Tech-Marine servo arm attacks. Can you make a standard attack and then use your reaction for an additional attack with the servo arm? The rule against multiple actions with the same sub-type seem to forbid it but increasingly it seems to me that you should be able to do both.

Yes, that is what it is for. Comes very handy against hordes because you can't parry/dodge their attacks anyway.

 

Shaun said:

SPOILERS AHEAD

In the final part of TEP the stat blocks for the Black Engine and Paragelle are identical which I can't help but think must be a misprint. I did e-mail FFG about this but have never recieved an answer. Has anyone else gotten one? I suppose it isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to know what they were meant to be!

It seems that the stats for the Paragelle are off, in particular the low AG and Int.

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can only seem to find v1.0 of the errata and this may be answered somewhere else but i noticed that assault marines get lightning attack at rank 2 and never get swift attack which is a prerequisite to the former. i imagine this is just a typo of some sort and it is available to them at rank 1, and if that is the case how much xp does it cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watcher_of_the_Dead said:

i can only seem to find v1.0 of the errata and this may be answered somewhere else but i noticed that assault marines get lightning attack at rank 2 and never get swift attack which is a prerequisite to the former. i imagine this is just a typo of some sort and it is available to them at rank 1, and if that is the case how much xp does it cost?

All Assault Marines begin play with Swift Attack, as noted near the top of Page 73.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaun said:

SPOILERS AHEAD

In the final part of TEP the stat blocks for the Black Engine and Paragelle are identical which I can't help but think must be a misprint. I did e-mail FFG about this but have never recieved an answer. Has anyone else gotten one? I suppose it isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to know what they were meant to be!

 

That one is a good spot, I had to get my copy out as soon as I got home to check it was wrong.  Glad I saw this before running the adventure with my group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it intentional that restraints have a requisition value of 10?  It seems off that a pair of handcuffs has the same requisition requirement as a master crafted bolter or chain sword.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0