Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFG Ross Watson

Deathwatch Living Errata/FAQ

198 posts in this topic

Brother Praetus said:

I don't know.  I dislike the change given the experiences I've had and am having with the game I'm in.

-=Brother Praetus=-

I would say some rules plain hurt to change in existing campaigns, especially if people have built characters and encounters around a different interpretation (previous RAW); in my past experiences my group would simply hold off on implementing changes like this until the next round.  Or at least allows the player who is boned by said change to make character alterations to fit with the new direction.  I hope for your Adept's sake your GM does the same.

Charmander said:

Brother Praetus said:

I don't know.  I dislike the change given the experiences I've had and am having with the game I'm in.

-=Brother Praetus=-

I would say some rules plain hurt to change in existing campaigns, especially if people have built characters and encounters around a different interpretation (previous RAW); in my past experiences my group would simply hold off on implementing changes like this until the next round.  Or at least allows the player who is boned by said change to make character alterations to fit with the new direction.  I hope for your Adept's sake your GM does the same.

Dual Inferno Pistols? It's the only that comes to mind against Genestealers. Even then they will have one good dodge. At least.

Alex

ak-73 said:

This will stir up some commotion. Some answers from Ross Watson:

> 1) Can pistols burst in close combat in DW? (And if yes, doesn't
> that carry a high risk of wildly straying shots?)

No. Pistols fired in melee fire a single shot.
 > 2) If no, does that mean this is a DW-specific change or does that
> apply to all of 40k RP?

It applies to Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch.

> 3) What actions can be done with pistols in close combat other than
> Standard Attacks? Multiple Attack (if so only 2-handed attacks only
> or does swift strike, etc also apply)? All-out attack? Guarded
> attack? I am asking because page 240 indicates more than standard
> attacks are possible.

Standard Attack (or as part of two-weapon fighting) only.
 > 4) Does the answer given to question 3 carry on to all of 40K RP or
> only DW?

It applies to Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch.

Given the above do you think that DHs dual shot can be executed in melee range with tww and two pistols?

Elesthor said:

Given the above do you think that DHs dual shot can be executed in melee range with tww and two pistols?

Page 140 says that Ranged Combat Talents apply, so things like Mighty Shot Talent would be in... this leads me to believe that Dual Shot (which does exist in DW too) might be in too.

Alex

ak-73 said:

Dual Inferno Pistols? It's the only that comes to mind against Genestealers. Even then they will have one good dodge. At least. 

Alex 

Given I play an Adept in Dark Heresy, you're talking about three talents that I would have to take as very expensive Elite Advances; Pistol Training (Melta), Two-Weapon Wielder (Ballistic) and Gunslinger.  I've already got Ambidextrous as it's available to all Adepts at Rank 3 (Scribe).  Pistol Training (Melta) is not available on the branch I took.  Our Deathwatch game hasn't actually started up yet.

-=Brother Praetus=-

For completeness Happy Daze's suggested amendments surrounding the Neuroglottis:

"Step 1) Add Survival to the list of Starting Skills on page 36.

Step 2) Remove Tracking from the list of Starting Skills on page 36.

Step 3) Replace the text for the Neuroglottis with the following:

Neuroglottis: The Space Marine may detect any poisons or toxins by taste with a successful Challenging (+0) Awareness Test. He may also detect any poisons or toxins by smell with a successful Hard (-20) Awareness Test. The Space Marine treats Tracking as a Basic Skill, and may (at the GM's discretion) gain a +10 bonus to any Tracking Tests against an opponent he has tasted. However, it is important to note that none of these bonuses apply if the Space Marine is wearing a helmet for a sealed set of armour (e.g., Power Armour, Artificer Armour, or Terminator Armour).

I think that this accomplishes what I want without drastic alteration. It gives all Space Marines the training to Survive in hostile environments. Space Marines will still have a reason to purchase Tracking (from Rank 2 General Space Marine), and both Space Wolves and Storm Wardens will still have an advantage in purchasing Tracking from their Chapter Advances."

Alex

As it is, Wrathful Descent and Thunder Charge are subject to potential abuse. It should be clarified that the WD+1d10 is a one-time bonus per whole charge if at least one attack does damage or sth like that.

Alex

ak-73 said:

For completeness Happy Daze's suggested amendments surrounding the Neuroglottis:

"Step 1) Add Survival to the list of Starting Skills on page 36.

Step 2) Remove Tracking from the list of Starting Skills on page 36.

Step 3) Replace the text for the Neuroglottis with the following:

Neuroglottis: The Space Marine may detect any poisons or toxins by taste with a successful Challenging (+0) Awareness Test. He may also detect any poisons or toxins by smell with a successful Hard (-20) Awareness Test. The Space Marine treats Tracking as a Basic Skill, and may (at the GM's discretion) gain a +10 bonus to any Tracking Tests against an opponent he has tasted. However, it is important to note that none of these bonuses apply if the Space Marine is wearing a helmet for a sealed set of armour (e.g., Power Armour, Artificer Armour, or Terminator Armour).

I think that this accomplishes what I want without drastic alteration. It gives all Space Marines the training to Survive in hostile environments. Space Marines will still have a reason to purchase Tracking (from Rank 2 General Space Marine), and both Space Wolves and Storm Wardens will still have an advantage in purchasing Tracking from their Chapter Advances."

Alex

I've actually decided against Step 1 (it's still on GSM for 300xp if you want to take it), but I'm going to stick with Steps 2 & 3 for my Deathwatch gaming.  It helps keep some purpose for the Space Wolves and Storm Wardens having Tracking on their Chapter Advances.

ak-73 said:

As it is, Wrathful Descent and Thunder Charge are subject to potential abuse. It should be clarified that the WD+1d10 is a one-time bonus per whole charge if at least one attack does damage or sth like that.

Alex

My posts certainly seem to be catching your eye.  I'll see if there's anything else I can dig up.

HappyDaze said:

ak-73 said:

Alex

My posts certainly seem to be catching your eye.  I'll see if there's anything else I can dig up.

Well, you are raising issues that have been raised before and didn't make it into the faq (too many issues, I guess). I'm going to try to post these here to make sure they make it into the next version, if possible.

Alex

BA Chapter Trapping Golden Icon(Purity) description should specify that a minimum of 1 Corruption Point gets inflicted. Otherwise power gamers might this and choose Rite Of Sanctioning(Daemonic Mask) without incurring an additional risk. Combined with other bonuses like Fear The Darkness, Terror be they friend PA or Chaplain powers a Librarian of Terror can be munchkined.

Alex

under auger cybernetics it states, that good quality auger arrays work even as a Full Auspex. What the hell is a full auspex?

ak-73 said:

I have to add a thought here: how do you recognize an Assault Marine's handedness when he wields Bolt Pistol and Chainsword? The Bolt Pistol will be in the off-hand because swift/lightning attack do not apply? gui%C3%B1o.gif

I'll stick to the house rule that swift/lightning attack do apply.

Alex

All space marines are ambidextrous. Handedness is irrelevant.

Deathseed said:

ak-73 said:

I have to add a thought here: how do you recognize an Assault Marine's handedness when he wields Bolt Pistol and Chainsword? The Bolt Pistol will be in the off-hand because swift/lightning attack do not apply? gui%C3%B1o.gif

I'll stick to the house rule that swift/lightning attack do apply.

Alex

All space marines are ambidextrous. Handedness is irrelevant.

Off-hand as in: the hand to which swift and lightning attack do not get allocated. ;-)

Alex

On character sheet:

- Intimidate skill is also Trained for SM character

- add Deathwatch Training Talent in "SPACE MARINE TALENTS & TRAITS" (on verso)

Ours1984 said:

On character sheet:

- Intimidate skill is also Trained for SM character

- add Deathwatch Training Talent in "SPACE MARINE TALENTS & TRAITS" (on verso)

Also Dodge skill is Trained.

Alex

> Rule Question:
> "The robust construction of cybernetics add 2 to the user's Toughness Bonus (after Unnatural Toughness) in the relevant location." - Deathwatch, page 176.
>
> Applying this to the Bionic Arm (for the appropriate Arm location), Bionic Locomotion (for both Leg locations), and the Bionic Heart (at half effectiveness, adding 1 for Body location) are easy.
>
> Can a Space Marine character take two Bionic Hearts, and if so, would this add up to +2 TB for the Body?

He certainly can have two bionic hearts, but the effects do not stack.

> Bionic Respiratory System would seem to apply +2 TB for the Body. Would this stack if the character had both a Bionic Heart and Bionic Respiratory System?

No.

> Would an Auger Array, Cybernetic Senses, and/or a MIU apply extra TB for the Head location?

Yes, but they do not stack.

> Does the Servo-Arm or Servo-Harness apply extra TB to any location?

Yes, to the body, but it does not stack.

Ross Watson
Senior RPG Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
rwatson@fantasyflightgames.com

AND

> Rule Question:
> I have a few questions about Deeds. Many are about specific word choices that seem to go against what has been previously printed.
>
> 1) Initiate of Secrets (page 75) provides Forbidden Lore (Dark Angels). Is this an error - since no such Lore skill exists - or is it just a limited form of Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes) and/or Forbidden Lore (Traitor Legions)? Regardless, it seems hard to advance (and possibly useless to do so) since both previously mentioned Forbidden Lore skills are on the Dark Angels Chapter Advances.

The correct skill should be Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes), although Forbidden Lore (Traitor Legions) would also be appropriate at your GM's discretion.

> 2) Ritual Duel Fighter (page 77) grants Assault Marines a +1 on the roll, but the highest result grants them Swift Attack which Assault Marines gain for free at character creation. Should they be able to take Lightning Attack instead with the highest result on the table?

If the character already possesses Swift Attack, it should grant Lightning Attack instead.

> 3) Crusade Reinforceme nt (page 79) grants Talented (Forbidden Lore [Tau, Tyranids, or Daemons]). Aside from Daemons, wouldn't Tau and Tyranids both be covered under Forbidden Lore (Xenos)? The specific Lores again appear to be split-hairs that don't occur naturally in the game system.

The correct Talents should be Talented (Forbidden Lore: Xenos), or Forbidden Lore (Daemonology).

> 4) Archeros Salient: The Spectre of Vanity (page 79) grants Forbidden Lore (Witches) and Hatred (Renegade Marines). Is this supposed to be Forbidden Lore (Psykers) and Hatred (Chaos Space Marines)?

Yes.

> 5) Battle Damage (page 81) grants an additional armour history selection of choice. Can you a second history from the same table as one you've randomly rolled?

Yes.

> 6) Return to Duty (page 81) grants Forbidden Lore (Deathwatch). Since all characters have this skill at character creation, should it instead be raised to +10?

Yes.

> 7) Price of Victory (page 81) grants two best-craftsmanship cybernetic implants. Best is not a craftsmanship level in Deathwatch. Should these be Common, Exceptional, or Master? This Deed doesn't cost any xp (but does cost a FP) so two Exceptional or Master cybernetic implants seems a bit much for a starting PC.

It should be Master.

> 10) Right Gear for the Job (page 85) grants a limited version of Signature Wargear. One of the choices is best-craftsmanship Astartes Scout Armour. Best is not a craftsmanship level in Deathwatch. Should this be Common, Exceptional, or Master level of craftsmanship?

It should be Master.

Ross Watson
Senior RPG Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Here's another set:

> Rule Question:
> A few more questions from Rites of Battle:
>
> 1) Omnissiah's Calling (page 85) grants Electro-Graft Use but it is only available to Techmarines. Techmarines start with Electro-Graft Use as a free Talent, so what should they get instead? Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus) seems particularly appropriate based upon the text, but if that's the case, the cost of this Deed needs to be reduced.

The correct Talent should be Talented (Tech-Use).

> 2) Almost all of the Deathwatch Black Shield Advances (page 101) appear on the General Space Marine Rank 1 (GSM1) list for equal cost. Is the Black Shield really intended to have so few choices, and if so, why not minimize his list to out all of the redundant skills and talents found on GSM1?

Not all Black Shields start out with access to the General Space Marine ranks... if you feel it is necessary, the GM may (at his discretion) of course add additional options.

> 3) The Deathwatch Epistolary (page 116) gains a force weapon as standard issue gear. However, all Epistolaries are Librarians, so th ey already have a force weapon. Is it intentional that they have a second force weapon, or should this instead increase the craftsmanship of their force weapon to either Exceptional or Master-Crafted?

The Epistolary does not gain an additional force weapon. At the GM's discretion (if you feel it is necessary), the Epistolary's force weapon can be Exceptional or Master-Crafted.

Ross Watson
Senior RPG Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

In Rites of Battle a variety of deeds and the like allow you to add +10 to a skill, I presume this is on top of whatever you have the skill at, allowing you to get a skill at +30?

Shaun said:

In Rites of Battle a variety of deeds and the like allow you to add +10 to a skill, I presume this is on top of whatever you have the skill at, allowing you to get a skill at +30?

I have treated it as advancing the skill, for example from Forbidden Lore (Xenos) to Forbidden Lore (Xenos) +10.

Shaun said:

This is how our group has been using it. The +10 is a modifier (or improvement) beyond the scope of the normal +10 & +20 Advances.

HappyDaze said:

> 7) Price of Victory (page 81) grants two best-craftsmanship cybernetic implants. Best is not a craftsmanship level in Deathwatch. Should these be Common, Exceptional, or Master? This Deed doesn't cost any xp (but does cost a FP) so two Exceptional or Master cybernetic implants seems a bit much for a starting PC.

It should be Master.

However although there is table 5-21(p178) in the handbook that mentions "master crafted" cybernetics, none of the cybernetics have "master crafted" descriptions as they only explain what additional functions "exceptional" adds.

Is Master Crafted just another way of saying "looks extra nice n blingy"?