Sign in to follow this  
Emirikol

Warhammer online: viability and content for wfrp games

Any of you using the WAR stuff from online?  I typically like to use the pictures, but was thinking about integrating a bit more of it for use in the WFRP games.  Any thoughts there?   www.warhammeronline.com/conceptart/index.php

Also, are any of you still playing it?  I bored out of it by 10th level back when it was free.

jh

Emirikol said:

Any of you using the WAR stuff from online?  I typically like to use the pictures, but was thinking about integrating a bit more of it for use in the WFRP games.  Any thoughts there?   www.warhammeronline.com/conceptart/index.php

Also, are any of you still playing it?  I bored out of it by 10th level back when it was free.

jh

I've played it a lot, but it's dying as far as I know. To much hacking, so RvR is not fun. :) 

I periodically reactivate my account and hop back on.  Honestly, I haven't noticed hacking being a problem, although I've only have current chars in T2 & T3.  No the issue I seem to see is the lack of people to do anything with, and the fact that the new patch makes oRvR and keep takes pretty boring and easy unless there is a lot of people on both sides fighting.

Mythic did a great job with DAoC so I had high hopes for WAR. They set out pretty well but got lost on the way. Really a shame.

The world is wonderful but the interface and chaarcter handling is just to edgy and doesnt feel fluent.

I ordered the Collector Edition back in the days. It has a nice art book included.

thePREdiger said:

Mythic did a great job with DAoC so I had high hopes for WAR. They set out pretty well but got lost on the way. Really a shame.

The world is wonderful but the interface and chaarcter handling is just to edgy and doesnt feel fluent.

I ordered the Collector Edition back in the days. It has a nice art book included.

Yeah I bought the CE back then as well and the extra stuff in the box is better than the game really :)

If someone wants to play a MMO with PvP, then WoW is a good place to go after cataclysm. Haven't played wow for over 4 years, but went back to check out cataclysm and on the PvP server everything is perfect. Lovely MMO... there isn't really any need to endure the frustrations of a game like WAR.

But it's sad. I really looked forward to WAR and it does have some absolutely brilliant ideas and features... it's just not working very well, and people have desserted it.

WAR still has better PvP than WoW, even with the low populations.

I had high hopes for the game, played it for about a year. The levelling, world, public quests, and basic concept is great; probably the best basis for an MMORPG out there, but it needed a third side to play in order to keep populations under control.

The main reason I was driven away was that equipment drops were too random (Ending up with items for a class you don't have with you is ridiculous), dungeon bosses had to be killed in a certain amount of time or they started multiplying the damage they dealt, and the two-sided PvP led to population being the deciding factor in who was winning. Not to mention that logging on when your capital was under attack basically meant you couldn't play.

Unfortunately Mythic just didn't learn from their experiences with DAoC, and squandered a big, and easily fixed opportunity.

As far as using the content, most of the quests and storylines are weak, and standard MMORPG faire... not much to go on there. The art is great, though.

Frankly i think anybody who is interested in Warhammer is going to be hard pressed to not enjoy Age of Reckoning.  The presentation of the game is very high and FULL of fluff.  I bought the CE at launch and have 3 tier 4 characters.  I have never maxed out a PVE character more than once in an MMO before this. 

Now as you have all said, the game is not perfect, far from it.  I'll be the first to acknowledge that.  But it does do a LOT right at the same time and the fact taht it is Warhammer makes up for a lot in my book. 

If you were ever curious what the world of Warhammer looks like, this is a great game to explore even if you only play around in the free endless trial.  If you are big into PVE then this one is also quite good.  The PVP content, while the best in an MMO to date is still crippled by faulty core concepts that, while possibly fair, give the impression to players of an unbalanced system.  

The recent addition of the Skaven as a playable race is very cool.

Regarding the game shrinking... well yea i think it really has.  They have consolidated the players into nicely populated servers.  So yea its not as popular as some other MMOs but on the good side, the players who are there maintain a solid population on the servers and are quite dedicated.  There was no shortness of players on the servers when i logged in.

Gitzman

The Skaven as a playable race, how does that work as far as balancing the sides? The main complaint I had was that without the third side, it quickly became a contest of who had the larger population; not much could be done when your opponents had as many healers as you had players, and it quickly grew tiring to be unable to kill even single players due to the power of heal spam.

I doubt I'd return to the game, but it still would do my heart good to hear that it's doing well. Anything that's not WoW is good in my book.

I have gone back and forth to Warhammer a couple of times. It is neat and fun to check out. Like any MMO, especially an MMO designed around PVP, its all about what stuff you have and how artful you are at using your characters powers to play well.

I leveled a Warrior Priest to max level, then got bored. Gone and plinked around a few times, but, well, I have had enough.

I really hope they can turn the game around somehow, but I doubt it. The skaven expansion hasn't helped with population. It IS a good game, but some of the things are just annoying. The whole PvP (or RvR as we like to call is... lol) gear is too bloated. It should be simpler. They need to streamline a lot of stuff for it to appeal to me. It is the best team oriented PvP game though, as there are a lot of interactivity between the players in terms of some powers.

They are working on a 40k MMO now as far as I know, so I think WAR will just be kept alive as DAoC.

I actually LOVE the game. The environments and the details in the areas are really delightful; it's great just to walk around and see what they've put into the world. I haven't found a solid way to use the images, though, partly because I'm too lazy to travel around and take the appropriate screen shots for a given tabletop session. :)