Sign in to follow this  
Mordjinn

Tutorial videos showing the game in action

Does anyone have videos of their sessions that they could make available on YouTube or somewhere else? All I'm able to find seems to be reviews and such, which don't really help much.

I'd really love to see/hear people doing the battles and social interactions. No rules explanations, just straight out gameplay: How to describe things, how to handle the monsters, how to play NPCs and how to make the abstract distances work smoothly.

FFG, if you wish to engage more people to this game give us tutorials in forms of "game in action" videos. I think the mindset needed for WHRP 3rd is quite different from old school RPGs so the videos would be a great asset for both experienced and beginner GMs and players alike. It is easy for North Americans experience the "offical way" of playing in demos, but for us overseas players the FLGS may not be into running those and we're left on our own devices. One of the very important aspects is how much storytelling power are the players supposed to have when reading the dice and with the abstract battle movement. Of course every group has their own way, but it would be priceless to get the designers idea how this game is played.

Just imagine sending the "tutorials" to your group before the first session. It would be a great and dirt cheap way to make people grasp the amazingness of this game much easier.

(Would do something like this myself, but we play in Finnish so it wouldn't help much.)

This may be close to what you're asking for. Here's all the videos I could find.

How to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Part 1 (Dice)

How to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Part 1.1 (More Dice)

How to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Part 2 (Cards 1)

How to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Part 2.1 (Cards 2)

How to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Part 3 (Character Creation)

How to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Part 3.1 (Character Creation - Spellcasters)

How to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Part 4 (Magic)

Edit: These aren't an actual session, more like a tutorial.

NezziR said:

This may be close to what you're asking for. Here's all the videos I could find. 

Thanks for the links. Great videos, but they only explain how the rules work and that info can be gotten from the rulebooks. Now what I'm after is something like this:

The link is to the Burning Wheel RPG session, which actually made me buy the game because it looks like tons of fun AND gives you a great idea what the game really is all about AND how the system works. Please FFG, give us something similar (with quality video and audio). Thanks.

Gallows said:

A fistful of misanthropes have some podcasts available with entire sessions. 

http://totalmisanthropy.blogspot.com/

Excellent link as I'm going to run Gathering Storm next and Misanthropes are going through that. Still it would be amazing to have video to go with the sound as my main interest is towards how to officially handle the abstract combat visually and how much storytelling power is handed over to the players interpreting the dice.

Hey guys. I know this thread's a bit dated, but I wanted to say thanks for the plug, as well as try to explain how I run combat. ;)

Honestly, most combat I handle abstractly to the point of not even using the standees (or figs that some of my PCs have) or range indicators or anything. Most combats are usually just a handful of people4 or 5 PCs against a comparable number of enemiesand usually take happen in some place with tight quarters, such as the tavern in Rough Night at the Three Feathers, or the mausoleum battle against Mourn and Stichelm in the Gathering Storm. That being the case, I find it's pretty simple to just let the guys imagine things and just sort of wing things like distances (usually close or medium range in these instances); it seems to flow pretty well and keeps things moving and simple.

This isn't to say we've not had more complicated encounters; our Eye for an Eye game had some fairly large battles in open areas, and for those we use minis/standees and some lovely range markers made by UniversalHead that I printed out (thanks for that, UH; your goods are an absolute godsend, I kid you not). I still keep things fairly loose; I don't bother detailing too much of the area aside from key things or terrain (for the running battle against the beastmen in the opening parts of Eye for an Eye, for example, I simply used a couple location cardsone for the road and one for the surrounding woodsand a miniature representing the cart the PCs were riding) that the PCs might interact with; if they do soby say, moving from a open road to the woods flanking itI have them reference the card for any effects they need to take into consideration. Beyond that, I'll mark out ranges for all the NPCs and PCs so everyone gets a rough idea of where everyone else is (and for my own sanity since I know I'll forget otherwise), and really, that's about it.

About the most complex battle we've had thus far was the massive engagement against Izka to claim the "lightning stone" in the Gathering Storm, and honestly, if I had it to do over, I would probably handle that one a lot differently. The entire fracas was messy and convoluted and just seemed to drag on for awhile there, and the wording in the book itself was a little muddy, meaning I gave the boys stiffer opposition than I really should have. Needless to say, we used a lot of minis and standees to try and keep things straight, and still ended up becoming a bit of a mess (okay, so we started at long range from the beastmen, but then one of us moved one range band to the side to flank them, and then they moved on closer to us, and then we moved one closer to them, so where does that put everyone now? Aaaaaack.).

I don't know that this really explains anything very well at all, looking back over it, but that's about the best way I can put it for now. I hope it helps some, if at all. :)

Mordjinn said:

Does anyone have videos of their sessions that they could make available on YouTube or somewhere else? All I'm able to find seems to be reviews and such, which don't really help much.

I'd really love to see/hear people doing the battles and social interactions. No rules explanations, just straight out gameplay: How to describe things, how to handle the monsters, how to play NPCs and how to make the abstract distances work smoothly.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind, but there are a number of recorded Warhammer sessions (audio only) at:

http://warhammer-enemy-withing.blogspot.com

Though I haven't finished recording my system overview or game play demos for WFRP3 yet, I did record a (very basic) demonstration of how I set up the abstract combat scenarios on the table in my games on my Youtube channel:

Hopefully it's something you find interesting.  I should be uploading more 3rd Ed. stuff in the next few weeks as my free time opens up again.  Feel free to leave comments or ask questions.

Thanks!

Bloody Sun Boy said:

Though I haven't finished recording my system overview or game play demos for WFRP3 yet, I did record a (very basic) demonstration of how I set up the abstract combat scenarios on the table in my games on my Youtube channel:

Hopefully it's something you find interesting.  I should be uploading more 3rd Ed. stuff in the next few weeks as my free time opens up again.  Feel free to leave comments or ask questions.

Thanks!

Send you a PM via YouTube. 

Bloody Sun Boy said:

Thanks!

This was really nice and helped a bit. I'd love to find the range bands you're using. Any chance you could email the file over or make it available somewhere?

The main thing I'm after is how people "explain" the combat. You have a situation where you explain what you are trying to do and throw a dice to see if you managed or not. I'd love to see videos which show the game in action as follows:

- When explaining what you're doing to do, do you explain a longer series of actions or just "I try to hit it"?
- After throwing the dice, does the GM explain what happened or do you give the players the power to tell the story "reading the dice"?

I feel that there's so much potential in reading the dice the "storytelling" way compared to just stating if it was success or not and I'm afraid that our group is missing the point on something that could be awesome. That's why I'd love to see/hear the designers (or someone's) take on how to read the dice and how the game flows.

I think that is a great topic and I will make a video to try to cover it for you.  I've had a few setbacks to my recording schedule with a recent computer crash (fixed now, thank Sigmar), my webcam being "borrowed without permission" (and still MIA) and the memory card for my digital camera being corrupted (grrr...).  I hope to be able to continue recording again after I pick up a new memory card this weekend.

Of course, there are always differences of opinion but I find that the system for 3rd Ed. supports best the "roll first, describe later" type of combat due to how influential the dice results are and how (as you say) they work toward "telling a story".  Personally, I think that is a good thing and one of the aspects that makes 3rd Ed. unique.  A video on some examples of "how to read your dice pool" would also just be generally useful, I think.

If you have any questions, thoughts or suggestions to incorporate into my vids, please feel free to share them.

Bloody Sun Boy said:

I think that is a great topic and I will make a video to try to cover it for you.

This would be plain awesome! I'm really looking forward of seeing the video and will definitely show it to my players too so we can have a basis on discussion how we're going to play the game. I like the "roll first, describe later" method and getting some examples of that would be fantastic.

Cheers!

Bloody Sun Boy said:

My webcam has been returned to me as of yesterday, so I am capable of recording again!

I will be working on getting some of these vids organized and recorded soon.

Any chance you managed to record anything yet :P

This is something I've been planning on doing on my YouTube Channel (link below in signature) for quite some time now.  I've started with one video of the Genesis of the Warhammer World but was planning on showing in detail how to create a character and all the components and uses for them.  Along with setting information videos and game sessions recorded.  My biggest problem with recording full sessions is mostly to do with not having a camera with which to catch the full scope of the game.  If I can find a camera to borrow or get on the cheap then I really am going to record some play sessions.  Until then watch my channel for infrequent releases concerning the mechanics of the game, and the basic rules of character creation as well as information concerning the setting.  Plus tips and tricks on how to play your games of WHFRP 3e.

As far as letting the dice tell the story goes I'm all for it.  I take several different approaches depending on the current situation and action being undertaken, but I do like to allow the players to describe what their character does by divining the bones.  This can get out of hand though if you don't really drive home quick and efficient visual clues to help them clearly describe the action.  I let the players know that all of the symbols need to be taken into consideration before any old description is blurted out.  Plus the active player gets the main say in what happens.  This can be modified if another player assisted in the action (especially if the assistance was one of the winning factors).  Most of the time I'm the one reading the bones though, as this approach keeps us on track and keeps the pacing a bit more uptempo.  I'm also a bit cautious about giving over to much narrative control to the players because of "spectacular success syndrome", which is a malady of the mind causing players to think that every time their character succeeds at something they do so in a spectacular way.  Even if the dice pool is full of challenges and banes.

Keep an eye open on my YouTube Channel for more Warhammery Goodness.