Sign in to follow this  
Rat Catcher

Taking the plunge...can't resist!

Hello fellow Wammerites!

After months of wrangling with my wallet and conscience, I've decided I want the WFRP 3ed offering from FFG. I love the Olde Worlde, simply love it. However, I do have a few questions, and where better a place to obtain some answers.

1] On my return, I see there are books out as an option to the boxed offering? At first blush, this seems like the perfect option for me, but what will I be getting if I purchase the books, in as far as rules go, and more importantly, aside from all the bits and the dice, what will I not be getting?

2] If I get the boxed set, and I may well do, has it had a reprint, has the errata been updated in this reprint?

3] Concerning the books, in the future, new boxed sets are going to come out for the boxed set, does this mean I'll have to buy these boxed sets, or will a book version be on offer as well?

4] Careers and career progression. If I remember rightly, there was a problem about not enough advancement for careers, and I think, something about not being able to play halflings? And wasn't there an issue with priests concerning their availability?

5] All things above considered, what would you recommend I get, the books, or the boxes?

Thank you all for your time and effort, I appreciate any help :)

1] On my return, I see there are books out as an option to the boxed offering? At first blush, this seems like the perfect option for me, but what will I be getting if I purchase the books, in as far as rules go, and more importantly, aside from all the bits and the dice, what will I not be getting?

You won't be getting the little tiny card boxes (here's an attachment if you want to make your own:  gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/emirikol7/wfrp+char+box.jpg.html

2] If I get the boxed set, and I may well do, has it had a reprint, has the errata been updated in this reprint?

No and no.  My guess is the boxed set will be out of print by June as well. There's not much point to the core set at this point (except the dice..which you will ask your players to purchase an extra set of anyways)

3] Concerning the books, in the future, new boxed sets are going to come out for the boxed set, does this mean I'll have to buy these boxed sets, or will a book version be on offer as well?

You will be up to date with the current products.  Obviously there will not be anything from the upcoming products in the current books.  Another guess of mine is that in 1.5 years, they will have another updated core book, which you won't need, if you purchased the Khorne and Rogues/Slannesh boxed sets.

4] Careers and career progression. If I remember rightly, there was a problem about not enough advancement for careers, and I think, something about not being able to play halflings? And wasn't there an issue with priests concerning their availability?

There are no halflings, ogres, fimir, zoat, or gnomes as playable races, but halflings are mentioned.  FFG, in my opinion, will hold out to make the halfings a "must have" for an upcoming purchase.

The priest issue has been solved with the Signs of Faith and new core books.

There is a shortage of advanced careers.  This is quickly rectified by allowing players to take their career a second time and pick a couple new skills, and add a talent slot. (For example:  Soldier > Rank 2 Soldier (Sargent, pick two new skills and add a 3rd talent slot; 2nd usage of the soldier ability)

5] All things above considered, what would you recommend I get, the books, or the boxes?

Get the books..skip the player and monster vaults until we know the errata. The Gm's vault has ??? dice?

jh

Rat Catcher said:

Thank you all for your time and effort, I appreciate any help :)

I think the good Emirikol have already answered all your question, but i want to advice AGAINST buying those books!

IMHO, those books are just a waste of money, because:

1) they are not complete: as we see, the 3ed project consist of a core product + 4 expansions (one per chaos god) + supplement materials (adventures, campaigns, racial sourcebooks, ecc...). Since the books in stores now are a collection of just the core product + 2 expansion only (tzeentch/magic - nurgle/disease), they will be outdated as soon the remaining expansion boxes will be avaible (and i think we definetly see them in 2011).

2) you really need the actions cards and the custom dice to play the 3ed: buying them separately (as GM vault + players vault) will cost u a lot more than the core box

3) more books are easier for reference: at the gaming table, when one of your players would like to check  mage's rules, the other priest's rules and a third browsing weapon's stats, having them in separate booklets would speed up everything.

So IMHO that's no point to getting the books now, unless ur fetish about aving good looking hardcover books on your shelf...get the core box instead, where u find all the stuff u need to start playing the game whit ur friends (and it will suffice for tons of gaming hours!!). Surely u will miss the disease and corruption rules, but u can grab the 4 expansion boxes later, and choose just the ones that suites your playing style/goals. (and remember that those rules will be printed elsewhere...for example the corruption rules are presented also in Edge of night adventure)

Hmmm...good points. I don't want to spend all that cash on the books if I'm still missing a sizeable portion of the game. I know roleplaying games are always producing supplements, and no core book is really complete. But there is so much extra material needed to get full enjoyment of the game in those boxed sets.

Also, I don't really want to get the core rule boxed set if it hasn't had a reprint with various issues addressed.

Not sure what to do now.

The Creature Vault and Creature Guide are really must-haves, regardless, IMO.

There are new creatures in the guide.

The vault has the new Creature Action cards, which are not present in the Core Set (this is a new feature).

While you can play just fine without the new creature cards, they seem like they will make things a heck of a lot easier for the GM to organize things, as well as helping to design/customize NPCs.

Ah yeah, the creature cards ROCKS! gran_risa.gif

Rat Catcher said:

Also, I don't really want to get the core rule boxed set if it hasn't had a reprint with various issues addressed.

Not sure what to do now.

well...currently there are few issues in the core box IMO...the only objective flaws are on 3 card that u should replace whit homemade prints (of which only one is essential and only if u have a bright wizard in ur group, the others 2 could be skipped out whitout damaging the gameplay!)

The rest, like slight obscure rules or lack of X (halflings, advanced careers...whatever), are only subjective or easy addressed in these forums, and  also those are part of this hobby...as u said, u will always have something new to buy in the future! ;)

I think that u have to decide what u want from this game...if u really want a modern system, and to try something new in RPG like action cards and tokens, go for it!

If u want to just experience the warhammer world (dont know if u already played whit previous edition) i think u could save some money getting the first or second ed. rulebook + the enemy whitin campaign, u will have like an year or more of gaming time, but whit a "retrò" feeling! (in fact i had just reviewed my books for this campaing and i think hat u will not find any better adventures for this setting, yet!)

I would go for the core set (an errata'd version isn't needed any errors are magnified by the lens of the internet, it would be good if they did do a second printing with the docs cleaned up but don't wait for one).

You may also want to add either the Creature Vault or Guide (don't need both straight away).

If your players pick a Wizard or Priest you can add the Signs of Faith or Magic box down the line, both also bring in other careers usuful for other characters. (Signs of Faith has the Assassin Advanced class for example).

If your players get into it they can pick up the Players Guide hardbound book and supplement it with the role specific guides if they feel the need.

My current collection -

Core Set, Games Master Toolkit, Advenurerers Toolkit, Signs of Faith, The Gathering storm, extra set of dice and the Creature Vault. The game is a beautiful thing to play and I have a mix of players, some use all the components and some just use character sheets.

AVJax said:

I would go for the core set (an errata'd version isn't needed any errors are magnified by the lens of the internet, it would be good if they did do a second printing with the docs cleaned up but don't wait for one).

You may also want to add either the Creature Vault or Guide (don't need both straight away).

If your players pick a Wizard or Priest you can add the Signs of Faith or Magic box down the line, both also bring in other careers usuful for other characters. (Signs of Faith has the Assassin Advanced class for example).

If your players get into it they can pick up the Players Guide hardbound book and supplement it with the role specific guides if they feel the need.

My current collection -

Core Set, Games Master Toolkit, Advenurerers Toolkit, Signs of Faith, The Gathering storm, extra set of dice and the Creature Vault. The game is a beautiful thing to play and I have a mix of players, some use all the components and some just use character sheets.

Thanks for the advice AV. And isn't it the case that only the 'core rulebook' is the problem, and even then it's a case of rules being laid out all over the place? I'm bursting to give this game a shot, I love Warhammer and I think FFG put out some gorgeous looking stuff.

The Core rulebook is "worse" yes. I personally didn't have much difficulty with it, but others have.  It might be because the core book has more actual rules, while the other books tend to have more information and fluff.  Not having a built-in index is some of the problem (although FFG later created an index .pdf you can use).

dvang said:

The Core rulebook is "worse" yes. I personally didn't have much difficulty with it, but others have.  It might be because the core book has more actual rules, while the other books tend to have more information and fluff.  Not having a built-in index is some of the problem (although FFG later created an index .pdf you can use).

Thanks Dvang