Sign in to follow this  
artemis8

Several questions (usually relating to Dunwich):

a) If an investigator earns a title Deputy of Arkham sherrif, he receives a police car. But may he use it for traveling also to other cities (i.e. to Dunwich, Kingsport), or is he limited to the Arkham city itself?

b) One investigator (a woman, an entertainer) from Dunwich expansion has a following ability: "Once per game you may remove a doom token from a doom track." May she use this ability also during a final battle with an Ancient one or only until it wakes up?

c) May a spell "Summon Shantak" be used for moving/passing through streets with monsters? If I may start or end my move in a place with monsters, why could not I pass through such? Though it would make moving much easier...

d) If a rumour mythos card is drawn (and resolved), since when it begins to act: Already in the Mythos phase, when its card has been drawn or in the next round (for investigators to have time to prepare/react to its effects). Written timing "...the turn, after it entered play" seems little ambiguos to me.

e) Stormknight variant:

i) If a gate should open in the location where there already is one, do you add one or two (new) monsters (in case there are at least 5 investigators, so that you usually deploy 2 monsters instead of just 1)?

ii) Is a gate burst resolved the same way with or withoust (using) Stormknight variant? It is not

f) Lurker on the Threshold expansion (using Pacts):

Do I understand it correct, that I may take any of Pacts during any Phase (when it is my turn - Upkeep, Move, Encounters)? So if I take it during Upkeep, may I immediately use it during the same Upkeep?

Next, if I have for example a Blood pact and I heal in St. Mary hospital and I will recupearte my Stamina to full.  But I may instead (of Stamina) receive an adequate amount of power tokens, ok?

Does it work the same way with an Injury card? I am unconscious, I draw an Injury card and decide use to recover half of my Stamina points (normally) and instead of the other half receive an adequate amount of power tokens, ok? 

Thanks you for your answers.

a: It'll take you to other towns too.

b: yes

c: It seem logical but I don't know the official word on this.

d: In general you begin on the next mythos after the card is drawn, most of them say this on the card.

e: The stormnight variant is just that, a variant and therefore does not have an official way of doing anything. Also it does not work as intended.

f: Congratulations you figured out how to exploit the Lurker.

Artemis said:

c) May a spell "Summon Shantak" be used for moving/passing through streets with monsters? If I may start or end my move in a place with monsters, why could not I pass through such? Though it would make moving much easier...

Why do you think you can't? Anytime you would leave a space with a monster, you get to basically auto-evade (though ignore is more like it).

"In addition, you may leave or end your movement in spaces containing monsters without encountering the monsters this turn."

So cast SS, leave Woods, Uptown Streets has a monster, you leave for Miskatonic U. Streets, SS let's you pass without dealing with the monster.

Dam said:

Artemis said:

Why do you think you can't? Anytime you would leave a space with a monster, you get to basically auto-evade (though ignore is more like it).

"In addition, you may leave or end your movement in spaces containing monsters without encountering the monsters this turn."

So cast SS, leave Woods, Uptown Streets has a monster, you leave for Miskatonic U. Streets, SS let's you pass without dealing with the monster.

Yes, I understand that I may take another way to my "destination location", but I do not know whether in a situation when I have just enough movement points to reach my destination (and cast SS) , I may PASS THROUGH a street with a monster without need to make evade check thanks to SS. With making evade checks it would be a normal situation (and  did not have to cast SS happy.gif).

Sorry, not seeing what the issue is. SS doesn't cost movement points, it gives you one. Only negative is 1-cost for Sanity, otherwise there is no downside to casting SS. If you can reach your destination with your normal movement points, it's up to you whether you cast SS and get to go there without any Evades or want to roll Evades and not cast SS.

SS allows you to leave (or end in) spaces (note, not location only) with monsters without dealing with them, this includes streets.

Dam said:

Sorry, not seeing what the issue is. SS doesn't cost movement points, it gives you one. Only negative is 1-cost for Sanity, otherwise there is no downside to casting SS. If you can reach your destination with your normal movement points, it's up to you whether you cast SS and get to go there without any Evades or want to roll Evades and not cast SS.

SS allows you to leave (or end in) spaces (note, not location only) with monsters without dealing with them, this includes streets.

OK, so now it is clear:

With SS cast on my investigator I may ignore any Evade check due to any monster, which I would encounter on my path to a destination place.

The purpose of the StormKnight variant is just to re-arrange what triggers what. So yes, two monsters emerge when a gate opens on a gate in a 5+ player game.

However, the StormKnight variant was good before Dunwich was released. Now, with more gate locations, gate burst cards, and AOs that have monster-surge abilities, you should consider dropping the StormKnight variant.

StormKnight variant was a popular variant (made by a guy named StormKnight) that was useful back when the game had only one expansion: Dark Pharaoh.

The StormKnight variant changes what opening gates trigger, so that the doom track rises more slowly at the beginning of the game and more rapidly toward the end of the game, which changes the pacing and tension of the game as it was supposed to be. Instead of a frantic scramble to seal gates at the start, which eased into a laid back clue-collecting exercise to seal the last few.

It goes like this:

• When a new gate opens, a monster emerges as normal, but no doom token is added.
  • When a gate opens on a gate, one monster emerges from that gate and a doom token is added.
  • When a gate opens on a seal, a monster surge occurs (centered at the gate of your choice).

When Dunwich was released, the variant became obsolete. Gate bursts became a new way to re-introduce tension when many seals were down, and AOs with monster-surge-driven mechanics had to be altered. Thus, I haven't used it since Dunwich.

Every time I tried the StromKnight variant, the game turned into Wack-A-Mole.  As long as you keep closing gates, the doom track doesn't go up much, so you end up with all these gate trophies and no time to spend them.