Sign in to follow this  
Urd

Eye of Horus - Too powerful in hermans Command Pack?

I played Yesterday Tannhäuser (deathmatch) with the new rules (hard to find people to play tannhäuser with here) And played reich, with hermanns command pack and the eye of horus instead of the "generalleutnant".

Result was: Hermann was alomost winning the game by himself, after i lost early 3 characters (yula and both troopers) i placed hermann with the heavily injured Eva in the main hall and killed the Union troops slowly with mental duels, w/o any great chance of the Union to do anything against it, since their mental stat wansn't nearly good enough to win a duel, and tehrefore couldn't enter hermans path, due to hermetica occulta, resulting in an automatic wound from the eye of horus.

Did I overlook something oris the synergy just to strong? or is there a good counter tactic which i didn't saw?

I've been in a similar situation from the Union side, the answer is a grenade, and luck, with only a wound or two Hermann becomes much weaker, and if you have two grenades, he'll be dead in a turn.

This is of course a solution, but this solution has two weaknesses:

1: Hermanns Mental Value is 6/6/6/1 so you have to inflict 3 wounds at once to cut him down.

2: grenades can only thrown 1 circle out of path, so if Hermman is not standing at a corner you can't reach him with that.

My best suoultion was so far houserouling "shaking off wounds" so that you also can shake of an automatic wound with a command point, taking out mach of the redicilous power of this combination. (besides rushing in with barry and tring to shoot him in his face)

I looked through once again and found something:

For the Matraichy Vovoides and Zor'ka with command pack (Null values let them IGNORE effects that would start a mental duel) and for Union Ramirez' Brothers Bomb and his houdn dog (also having null mental)

We had a same situation in our deathmatches, so we decided to play Hermann with another than the command pack, because it's nearly impossible to win the mental duels with the original characters of the union. In comparison to the old rules I think they made the Hermetica Occulta to powerful, especially on maps like the castle with long paths and easy-to-reach key positions. With the new characters like Ramirez it may be a little bit more interesting and balanced, but we have to test this in some matches. I belief it's still hard for the union to beat the Hermetica. ;-)

I also do not understand, why they made the union characters so weak on mental state, I mean they have all a 3 except John with a 4... does this mean, that the union has only dump people or that they are all so easy to manipulate? I think it would be possible to adapt this values in special house rules, meaning for the story, that the union characters got a special training before facing the enemy, knowing of the mental weapons of their foes. Or you can give them special objects powering their mental values. I think giving John a 5 in mental or perhaps once in a game a 6 would it make a little more interesting for both sides, if you don't want that Hermann always has to use another pack than the command pack. 

On the other hand, deathmatch is a special mode, where the reich player can wait and watch... in the other game modes like capture the flak or domination both players have to move their characters a lot, so I think, in this modes it would be more interesting, because the reich player can't camp all the time. But this is I never tested yet, so I'm curious about this.