Sign in to follow this  
roy.altman.7

For the last time (hopefully) - Do I need BOTH the Creature Vault AND the Creature Guide?

Just FYI, our group LOVES 3e!

We love the cards and bits and frankly, we can't even think of going back to purely pen & paper RPG.  I wish 40k will come out with cards as well!

So I'm getting the Creature Vault for sure.  But do I also need the Creature Guide?  Does the vault contain only cards with no extended text on the monsters (like the creature guide preview has)?

Does anyone know?

I realize I should get both just to support the game, but our group (namely me as the GM) spent A LOT of money on RPG over the last 20 years and I'm trying to be kind of more responsible with my purchases.

Thanks,

Roy.

As far as I can tell, all you'll be missing from the guide is fluff text and some ideas about how to use the information and set up encounters.  To my mind, if you're knowledgeable about the Warhammer World, or own old fluff texts, and you are an experienced GM, you'll be fine with just the vault.

I'm only buying the vault too.

I'm waiting for the creature vault only too!

hope it will reach my postbox soon, because i've tried whit custom made strange eon's creature and actions cards and they really speed up gmastering encounters!! I'm going to love those nice cards!! I choosed vault only because i know warhammer bestiary pretty well, or if i'm unsure i can dig in my 1st / 2nd edition stuff collection...definitely the creature guide book is something u will not miss at your table...

One other thing, due to limitations of space on the cards, many creature abilities in the Vault use abbreviations, accronymns, or code words. These are all defined in the Guide. Although I'm sure it is only a matter of time before someone somewhere on the Interwebs puts together a spoiler list, you may not be able to figure out what some of the creatures in the Vault do without the Guide in the meantime.

mac40k said:

One other thing, due to limitations of space on the cards, many creature abilities in the Vault use abbreviations, accronymns, or code words. These are all defined in the Guide. Although I'm sure it is only a matter of time before someone somewhere on the Interwebs puts together a spoiler list, you may not be able to figure out what some of the creatures in the Vault do without the Guide in the meantime.

Thats pretty awful and dissappointing. sad.gif

Thanks for the replies.

It seems weird that there are only cards - not even a short booklet to explain abbreviations?  Or the rules for the creature party sheets that some of the previews talk about?  Seems weird - looks like it is mandatory to buy both if you want more than just stats on cards.  Seems like half a product now. 

I do own the 2e bestiary but now I think there are important stuff (more than just fluff) in the guide.

Maybe I'll wait till someone gets it and describe it on the forums before I order my own :)

But I can't wait!

Roy.

HedgeWizard said:

I think the creature vault + guide = the complete product, in-line with all of the prior releases. But it was broken out so that people who want the low/no component game can just get the guides.

This.

It's also worth noting that both can be pre-ordered on Amazon for a combined total of $45.32, which is not all that much more expensive than say, Winds of Magic, with the difference about what you'd expect between hardback vs. softback books such as those found in the other expansions.

I've got my vault and I'm going to back up that you don't NEED the guide.  True there are keywords for special rules but most of them can be found either on the reference sheet from the box (not an exhaustive list, but it covers the most common keywords) or elsewhere in the creature cards. For example, Eternal Hatred is a special rule for all Dark Elves but is listed only on the Corsair card.

So far the only things I've noticed that aren't listed anywhere are the Undead special rules: Dead Calm and Dead Earnest, and there are several references to Skaven Morale on the cards which isn't explained.  I'm sure that there are a couple of others, but as I said, it's nothing you can't work around.

I'm sure the Creature Guide has a good deal of information on using the contents of the Vault, but it seems that for me, as an experienced GM (who already owns the Old World Bestiary, there isn't enough to justify the additional cost.

However, I'd highly recommend the Creature Vault to anybody who is a 'bits' GM.  It will definitely make running a combat much easier than using pages in books.

FInally - the box is much needed extra storage space!