Sign in to follow this  
kenchan13

Anyway to "Dumb Down" the rules?

I just picked up Tannhauser, but the copy i got was the old rules version so i headed to my friendly little gamestore and picked up the new rules. I sat down poured over the rules and i feel overwhelmed and confused. Mean while my 6 year old is asking to play but i really dont know how to explain the game to him.  He enjoys and understands Heroscape, Dust Tactics, Cadwallon- City of Thieves, and D&D Castle Ravenloft. I thought with the circle/color boards this would be a natural game for us. I would appreciate any help the community could offer a desperate dad. Thank you in advance, Kenchan13

kenchan13 said:

I just picked up Tannhauser, but the copy i got was the old rules version so i headed to my friendly little gamestore and picked up the new rules. I sat down poured over the rules and i feel overwhelmed and confused. Mean while my 6 year old is asking to play but i really dont know how to explain the game to him.  He enjoys and understands Heroscape, Dust Tactics, Cadwallon- City of Thieves, and D&D Castle Ravenloft. I thought with the circle/color boards this would be a natural game for us. I would appreciate any help the community could offer a desperate dad. Thank you in advance, Kenchan13

Let him read the rules and explain them to you. ;)

Play through a couple solo matches by yourself to get the hang of things if you need to, or just jump in with him and figure it out as you go.  Tannhauser may seem complicated at first glance, but it's a very intuitive system to play with.  If your kid can handle all those other games you mentioned, I don't imagine he'll have too much trouble with Tann.

Hopefully the third time's the charm... some of my original formatting and spacing might be messed up, so apologies in advance. I've now typed this thing twice and tried to format it 3 times. Darned browser / internet problems =(

Headless Hollow (check BGG or search Google) has some nice reference sheets which might help, especially since FFG's rulebooks are often a bit disorganized. There is also a file with reference cards for equipment in these forums that you should download and print. As for actual tips on learning the game, you might want to try Deathmatch Mode without Command Points to start off with. That should help your kid get used to the game. The main information you'll need... 

GAME SEQUENCE
• Set-Up: For Deathmatch mode, you'll usually place some crate tokens on the board in the objective (black) circles. Check the rules for the specific rules for crate placement. You should probably take out the Command Point crate tokens for now. Next, pick character packs. You may want to stick with the same packs for each character for your first few games. It'll be easier for everyone to learn that way. 

• Turn: Refresh Tokens => Roll Initiative (1D10 each) => Winner Picks a Char and Activates => Loser Picks a Char and Activates => Continue until all Chars have activated. If it's turn 1, the chars enter the board through the deployment circles. The winner of initiative gets to pick which circle he enters through first. 

ACTIVATION
Move + Action: Attack, Throw Grenade, Use Item, Pick Up Item, Drop Item, Search Crate. You can perform your action before, during, or after your move. There is also an "Activate Objective Circle" action, but ignore that one for now. 

DICE ROLLS
When you make a dice roll, you add the result of each die to the stat used for that roll. If the sum is 10 or higher, that die roll is considered a success. Another way to think of this, is to subtract your stat from 10. The result is the target number you need to roll on each die for the die roll to be considered a success. You then add up the successes for the final result of your roll. 

When no other number is specified, the default dice rolled for any test is 4. If you roll a 10 on a die, it counts as a natural 10. If you roll a 1 on a die, it counts as a natural 1. These may have special effects (or lack thereof) specified by an item or ability. A couple of special dice rolls that may come up:

• Test: Roll dice as specified (or 4 if not specified) and as long as you roll ONE or more successes, you pass the test. The stat used depends on the ability.

• Duel: Both figures roll 4 dice and determine successes as above. The stat used and effects of the Duel vary based on the ability.

COMBAT ACTIONS

ATTACK
Generally, pick a weapon to use and choose a figure on your path - equivalent to clear LOS in HS. Roll the appropriate number of dice for your weapon. Successes or "Hits/Skulls" are determined using the Combat Value stat as specified above in the Dice Rolls section. 
Target makes a defense (shock) roll. Roll 4 dice. Successes or "shields" are determined using the Stamina stat as specified in the Dice Rolls section. Any excess hits count as wounds on the target.

=> REFERENCE: WEAPON ATTACK DICE
2 Dice: Unarmed
4 Dice: Melee Weapon, Pistol, Mental
5 Dice: Automatic
*Unarmed/Melee can Only attack Adjacent Figures

THROW GRENADE
Choose a space (empty or occupied) within range that is either:
1) On your path
2) Adjacent to a space on your path - you may want to check the rules for more detail on this one, or ignore it for now

=> REFERENCE: GRENADES
1) Grenade: Range 5. Deals 5 Automatic Hits (figure still makes a shock roll)
2) Smoke Grenade: Range 8. When thrown, place a smoke grenade token on the path with 2 smoke tokens on top of it. During each refresh step, remove 1 the top token in the stack. While the smoke grenade is on the board, it affects all circles on path. Figures on affected circles may only make melee attacks and roll 2 fewer dice attack dice.  
3) AN-M11: From Expansion. Same Range / Stack / Affected Circles as Smoke Grenade. Deals 3 automatic hits (figure still makes a shock roll) to every figure who moves onto an affected circle.

NON-COMBAT ACTIONS
Use Item - Dependent on item. 
Pick Up / Drop Item - Pick up or an item token on the figure's circle or an adjacent circle. You can pick up or multiple items at once, and you can pass items to adjacent figures. 
Search Crate: Look at an adjacent crate token. Can pick up the crate item or items into the crate as part of this action. 
I think that sums up most of the rules, minus some of the specifics and stuff like the Command Point Options. Once you get the hang of these rules, you should add in the other rules and try some of the different modes, especially the story-based scenarios =)

I haven't tried this, but if the number of options is too much for your young son, you might just let each character have just their special item. That will simplify a little. The movement and attacks are easy enough...

docsavagepu8-2.png

Thats a good idea, thanks. We played a few days ago but we used heroscape dice rules. He just likes that system lol. We also got some foam core and are making walls for the Mansion board together.