Sign in to follow this  
sketchesofpayne

Comprehensive Koronus Expanse Map

I set about the impossible task of correlating and reconciling the map of the Koronus Expanse from the Rogue Trader book pages 338-339 and the one found on the inside cover of all the Rogue Trader books. In my personal opinion, it felt to me like the map on page 338 is squished horizontally. Each map has star systems marked that don't appear on the other. The one on the inside cover shows some established warp routes, pictured as lightning bolts.

I used the inside cover map as my base and marked everything that was on it. I then tried to come up with the relative position of the remaining star systems that aren't on it. This only partially works, as there are a couple of major discrepancies between the two of them. For instance the 'Processional of the Damned' and the 'Frozen Sisters' are in opposite locations. Also, the Dolorium system is on the opposite side of Kain's Abyss. These things make it impossible to directly translate their locations.

Take a look at the map here:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2wrj66t.jpg

Tell me if there are any official locations that should be added or adjustments to be made. I'm going to make another one with symbols indicating world type, but for now I wanted to get their locations down. (Also note it is in grayscale so as to be printer-friendly).

sketchesofpayne said:

I set about the impossible task of correlating and reconciling the map of the Koronus Expanse from the Rogue Trader book pages 338-339 and the one found on the inside cover of all the Rogue Trader books. In my personal opinion, it felt to me like the map on page 338 is squished horizontally. Each map has star systems marked that don't appear on the other. The one on the inside cover shows some established warp routes, pictured as lightning bolts.

I used the inside cover map as my base and marked everything that was on it. I then tried to come up with the relative position of the remaining star systems that aren't on it. This only partially works, as there are a couple of major discrepancies between the two of them. For instance the 'Processional of the Damned' and the 'Frozen Sisters' are in opposite locations. Also, the Dolorium system is on the opposite side of Kain's Abyss. These things make it impossible to directly translate their locations.

Take a look at the map here:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2wrj66t.jpg

Tell me if there are any official locations that should be added or adjustments to be made. I'm going to make another one with symbols indicating world type, but for now I wanted to get their locations down. (Also note it is in grayscale so as to be printer-friendly).

Great work. Thanks a lot for this. happy.gifaplauso.gif

Excellent work! aplauso.gif

I suspect that new planets will be added to the Koronus map with every new RT supplement - the map contained within the core rulebook is more a sort of "guideline" than, for example, the presumably relatively definitive Calixis Sector Map. The Koronus Expanse is meant to be largely unexplored, so new worlds will be added all the time.

Unfortunately, this means that your (fantastic and very useful) map would need to be updated regularly. For example, the new Frozen Reaches book introduces a new world - Damaris. This is a well established Imperial Colony world at the coreward edge of the God-Emperor's Scourge. If you ever decide to colour code the planets on your map, I would tentatively describe it as a Frontier World, even though it has a large-ish (3 billion) population.     

HappyDaze said:

Switch the map locations of Zayth and Magoros and all will fit properly.

What? How would moving both Zayth and Magoros further away from where they're meant to be fix anything?

Magoros is supposed to be in Winterscale's Realm according to the adventure in the Core book.  The map currently shows it as being in the Foundling Worlds.

Zayth is supposed to be in the Heathen Stars.  The map shows it as resting between the Heathne Stars and Winterscale's Realm.

I had mistakenly read that Zayth was supposed to be in the Foundling Worlds.  Had this been correct, then switching it with Magoros would have corrected the problem.  I apologize for only checking my facts to the same level as the guys that made the map.gui%C3%B1o.gif

God-Emperor bless you, Payne! A thousand times may the God-Emperor bless you!

This is exactly what I was hoping FFG would've done after printing Edge Of The Abyss. You have answered my prayers to Holy Terra! Thank you so much for all the trouble. This will be an invaluable resource in my campaign! (My players thank you as well; now they won't have to hear me ***** and complain!)

gran_risa.gifgran_risa.gifgran_risa.gif

A lot of folks have said it already, but I'd like to chime in; excellent map! I'm thrilled to find this, should prove very useful for my game. The only thing I could possibly ask is if you could give us some pointers on how to perhaps fiddle with it to add systems from our own campaigns.

AkumaKorgar said:

A lot of folks have said it already, but I'd like to chime in; excellent map! I'm thrilled to find this, should prove very useful for my game. The only thing I could possibly ask is if you could give us some pointers on how to perhaps fiddle with it to add systems from our own campaigns.

If you don't have a copy of photoshop or a similar program, I recently found a free online app that can let you edit the JPEG version of the map.

http://pixlr.com/editor/

sketchesofpayne said:

AkumaKorgar said:

If you don't have a copy of photoshop or a similar program, I recently found a free online app that can let you edit the JPEG version of the map.

GIMP is also a free, opensource 'Photoshop' type program that would serve this purpose well (again, if you don't have a copy of Photoshop already...).

Thanks for this map btw, great great work!

sketchesofpayne said:

AkumaKorgar said:

Awesome, thanks!

Sketchesofpayne. Anyway you could post the original Photoshop files with the Vector graphics? That way if we want to we can export a HUGE resolution image without getting the pixelations for the world names.

I want to use your map for an Obsidian Portal campaign but you can't zoom very far in before you get things really pixelated.

Shouldn't Damaris be "near the coreward end of the God Emperor's Scourge"? The map from the resources page seems to put the Foundling Worlds SE of the God Emperor's Scourge.

Not that I envy you for trying to make sense of the maps. They are intentionally inaccurate as in-character aids. On the other hand, I'm tempted to make a traveller style subsector map now.