Sign in to follow this  
adeangel

General Questions with Weapons, Spells and Gates

Hello,

Quick couple of questions.  Say that I have the spell Dread Curse of Azathoth and the Item Lamp of Alhazred (or  however you spell it).  I am going to be fighting a monster with magical immunity.  Does that mean that the Dread Curse of Azathoth will not give me my +9 to combat checks or does it just prevent the bonus from the Lamp from doing its +5 damage?

Second Question.  I have an investigator that moves into a location with a gate...does he have to go in the gate?  Is he able to go into a location with a gate and leave it (not that it would be condusive to strategy)?

Thanks for your time.

adeangel said:

Hello,

Quick couple of questions.  Say that I have the spell Dread Curse of Azathoth and the Item Lamp of Alhazred (or  however you spell it).  I am going to be fighting a monster with magical immunity.  Does that mean that the Dread Curse of Azathoth will not give me my +9 to combat checks or does it just prevent the bonus from the Lamp from doing its +5 damage?

Second Question.  I have an investigator that moves into a location with a gate...does he have to go in the gate?  Is he able to go into a location with a gate and leave it (not that it would be condusive to strategy)?

Thanks for your time.

1) Magical Wepons AND Spells are affected by Magical Resistence/Immunity

2)An investigator will move into the other world on his arkham encounter phase.  aka durring movement he goes to the location with the gate then waits for other investigators to move. On the Arkham encounter phase he goes to the first part of the other world, then lets everyone have there arkham encounters.  Then in the Other world phase he draws gate cards till he finds one that matches one of the colors on that world.

Innsmouth13 said:

2)An investigator will move into the other world on his arkham encounter phase.  aka durring movement he goes to the location with the gate then waits for other investigators to move. On the Arkham encounter phase he goes to the first part of the other world, then lets everyone have there arkham encounters.  Then in the Other world phase he draws gate cards till he finds one that matches one of the colors on that world.

The only thing I'd add to that is that an investigator can move onto a location with an open gate and then turn around and leave again if it happens during the same movement phase.  It can be good strategy to do this if there is another investigator who has explored the gate, but needs a special item to close or seal it.  You could give him the item and leave again without getting sucked through the gate.  

1) Magical resistance/immunity affects spells and magical weapons. Note that because of hand limit, you cannot use both Dread Curse and the Lamp at the same time.

2) An investigator without an Explored token who is on an open gate during the Arkham Encounters phase must enter the gate. You do not enter gates during the movement phase. So as avec pointed out, you could move onto a gate to give an item to an investigator who is there, and then move off if you have the movement points.