Sign in to follow this  
KKcHHz

Music for the setting?

Greetings, I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions to what music would fit to the setting??

My own thoughts are:

- Moonspell ( Under the moonspell )

- Sundown (Glimmer)

-Kreator ( Endorama )

What are your thoughts??

KKcHHz said:

Greetings, I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions to what music would fit to the setting??

My own thoughts are:

- Moonspell ( Under the moonspell )

- Sundown (Glimmer)

-Kreator ( Endorama )

What are your thoughts??

Chaos Gate soundtrack and Immediate Music's Trailerhead album come to mind first of all.

Oh and Bolt Thrower, of course.

Alex

During a climatic fight which was part of a cleansining mission, "Killing in the name of" [i think this is from "Rage against the machine"] was playing in the background. This was not planned, but my group liked it.

"Unholy War" from Alice Cooper plays the same story (and is thereby unsuitable for Radical groups)
"Dogs of War" from Saxxon is good for battle as well
"Going Under" from Evanescence might be suiting for groups heavy into duty&sacrifice

Talking "Theme Music"
The anime-series "Hellsing" has some deranged tunes
The Soundtrack from "Aliens" is quiet good for as well
The movie them from the Crow is good for more "gothical" scenes (me thinks)

Personally, I've got a stack of soundtracks I employ, the main ones recently being the Gears of War and Gears of War II scores (good generic action music, sufficiently grand and imposing for 40k), and this album of music used in trailers. The Mass Effect scores are good as well, but many of the tracks fit specific types of scenes, so you can't really just put it on shuffle.

I lean toward Industrial as the background music of the setting, especially Ministry.

Everyone raves about Boltthrower, because they have Space Marines on one of their album covers, but I find them too distracting during actual games...

Depends entirely on the mood you want to set for the scene. I use some that are quite obvious, and has already been mentioned, such as selected tracks from Alien(including -s,3,4) and Vangelis film music, both Conquest of Paradise and Bladerunner. these I use for general background music. I like Ministry, Sepultura (mostly Roots) or Apocalyptica for action scenes, in addition to the obvious push and beat they have very litte text, use a language noone in my group speaks or is devoid of song alltogether and that helps us focus. I use a collection of Bach organ concertos as background for temples and eccelsiastic locations. Oddest music ever successfully used was a selection of less well known songless Basshunter tracks, slightly too loud and on a rather short repeat cycle. This was to illustrate a visit to a market district with shopping-inducing-narcotics spread into the airvents and it created an awesome effect to simply turn the music off as they entered a sanctuary. Another good moment was when some rather fresh charactes had to spend about 3k xp to get them in shape for a pretty tough challenge. When it was time to share with the group how they had spent their xp, I played Eye of the Tiger and had each of them make a montage of their training the last six month. That was an unforgettable moment.

Slightly related: I like to play around with background moodsetting sounds as well. Random jungle noices, creaking of strained bulkheads, humming of distant machinery, the howling of voidspirits or the groaning of mutated underhivers, as apropriate for the scene of course. A talented swedish roleplayer made a very good program to easily manage background sounds and named it after the classic swedish RPG Mutant. Check out this link: www.stefanisberg.com/mutant/Mixer_eng.html  This has become an invaluable tool for all our campaigns, and its quite easy to use. Just run it in paralell with your musicplayer of choice.

Galth said:

Dawn of War 2 soundtrack.

My vote as well.  Very appropriate stuff, though I think it's another that ought to not be put on shuffle.  If GW eventually release it, the score/soundtrack for the Ultramarines movie was actually pretty good as well.  Some very nice choral pieces there.

-=Brother Praetus=-

For a fun twist, I like to use a little bit of hip hop when my acolytes were in a hive city (Solomon to be specific), a little 2Pac, Cypress Hill, or The Black Sheep can set the mood nicely when clashing with street thugs or the local criminal syndicate. The soundtrack for District 13 makes for some suitably grimdark background ambience with an urban feel and completes the setting for me.

Otherwise a bit of Megadeth (Peace Sells: But Who's Buying, or United Abominations are both awesome)  and earier Metallica are pretty good too for more standard fare. Also love the Dawn Of War soundtracks.

A couple of tracks come to mind:

'Freak on a Leash', by Korn (maybe because I play a Psyker too much) & 'Whisper' by Evenescence.

There are a number of tracks by Godsmack that come to mind, but I can't remember the titles.

I have a DH playlist with some Silent Hill tracks, a bit of Halo 2 and some stranger stuff (Dark Sanctuary, Iszoloscope and others). For scenes on Imperial Worlds, I also list In the Nursery and some music from the old Emperor of the Fading Suns video game.

The Mass Effect OST would be more suited for a DW game, imo, sounding more heroic and all.

Gregorius21778 said:

Old Ennio Morricone had some very good tracks.

He is mainly known for his western tracks (which ARE good as well). But he was although behind the theme for "The Thing" (John Carpenter).
This is a quiet good one for supsense.

That also happens to be one of my favorite Christmas movies.

-=Brother Praetus=-

I have a friend who's a professional studio mixer, he mixed up a few tracks for my Dark Heresy and Deathwatch games, using Lustmord, Dawn of War soundtrack, ambient sounds (rain, gunfire, etc.), Total War soundtrack. Here are the links:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4g03d1/n/Mon_keigh_Gothic.mp3

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4g0394/n/Dark_Heresy_xeno_m1x6_.mp3

I'll root around so I can find a couple more tracks he mixed for me.

Best I feel are some good moody OST's from movies and games, not too distracting from the game and during heavy combat bits you can't go wrong with some good metal. :D

Oh, I've found a perfect composer. Kenji Kawai, a japanese composer that made music for dozens and dozens of films and series, very moody. he also made the OST for Ghost in The Shell but I was especially surprised by his work for Gundam 00 (double zero), very moody, very epic, some metal and ambient bits ehre and there, perfect rpg music.

I don't like a lot of metal/rock for my campaigns.

I much more prefer atmospheric music, something that helps my players get an idea of how they might act.

Loooots of Crystal Castles too.. :P

I've not really been able to use music to add to the setting in my games, something about the way the group works, but i have played in a group that did, the picked musical scores based on "what would be playing if this scene was in a movie?" so we had from the downright creepy to the ultra high techno music, even set one session up with surround sounds as we mused through a large manor house with a party in full swing, with different music in different sections of the house playing through the different speakers, it was really well done but must have taken hi hours to sort it.

I have found that some groups don't work well with added music but a full description of the sites sounds and background noises does help.

I have intended to use some music, but would go for the movie appoach so as a suggestion Hans Zimmerman (too many films to mention) and Greg Harrison is think that's his name (musical score for MGS1 -MGS4 as well as Speed and Speed 2), for most story lines would work and more classical for Noble estates and parties unless they are creeping about, and industial for most hive would probably work.

Well, I've actually almost never timed events to certain scores or bits of music. I do have a very long playlist of OST's, soundscapes and other moody music and I tend  to make just a sort of a general selection playing on random for moody bits, action bits, etc. And if the selected song doesn't suit the scene I quickly skip to the next one.

While playing Dungeons and Dragos I gave up on using music because of the loop problem and that is generally more distracting than mood inducing. Overall it feels very superficial. At some point I attended as a player to this Pen and Paper session where the GM was using music to enhance the game and I found it plainly annoying and it cemented the idea that I won't be using it again. Some players stomach it, most are too polite to speak against. Even players that made positive comments about the use of OST they admitted that most of the time it feels out of place.

HOWEVER, in the key moments, while GMing, I listen to music in my headphones, the epic and evocative sort. While being perfectly able to listen to what are the players saying, the music helps me greatly to evoke the setting and the mood. This way I can convey more feelings toward the players without actually exposing them to whatever am I listening. It is very effective.

The stuff that I listen is from various games and movie soundtracks. For 40k I listen to Globus, X-Ray Dog, Two Steps from Hell, Immediate Music, Posthumus, Joseph Lo Duca (Spartacus Blood and Sands) etc.. the epic aggresive trailer music.