Sign in to follow this  
Tibs

Daoloth and other promotional items

Thanks to the original poster for putting these on-line. Lord alone knows why FFG didn't make them available from the main page. Not all of live in the US and could get to Arkham Nights, y'know!

Re: New-thulhu. I think his new abilities would work well as a Herlad. That way you could play Cthulhu and add his herald (The Cult of Cthulhu) to turn him into New-thulhu. Simples.

Julia said:

Avi_dreader said:

::Laughter:: that's really scary.  There are some insane red corruptions.  But I like the idea :'D a lot.  It'd make for a really intense game with cards that are rarely seen.

:-D that's the point. The game will still be scary, but at least you have a chance to beat it, dealing with nasty situation strategically. Besides, Red corruptions enter almost never the game, and it's a pity. Generally speaking, Corruptions were a good idea that should be merged better in the game, even if not playing with the Black Goat Herald. I was thinking about house-ruling this in some way. Every AO should be related to a certain OW, thus you can relate an AO to at least one particular dimensional symbol. For this reason, you can apply the Hex-Corruption combo to any other World in the very same way. Atlach comes from the Dreamlands and the Dreamlands gate has a slash on it? Then, every time you defeat a Slash monster you draw a corruption

I don't want to overuse the corruptions ;') I'd rather just pair them with Y'golonac (and I think that's going to be a permanent house rule) and Shub.  I want them to stay special ;'D  But I think I'll also take up the Rhan Tegoth modification on a permanent basis.  Otherwise he's just a harder Yig.

Jake yet again said:

Thanks to the original poster for putting these on-line. Lord alone knows why FFG didn't make them available from the main page. Not all of live in the US and could get to Arkham Nights, y'know!

Re: New-thulhu. I think his new abilities would work well as a Herlad. That way you could play Cthulhu and add his herald (The Cult of Cthulhu) to turn him into New-thulhu. Simples.

Yeah... Someone should definitely make a new Cthulhu herald incorporating these new abilities.  Any takers?

We really don't need to. This is a revised Cthulhu that's effectively a replacement for the older one.

PS—my first designed herald was "Dagon" and he included the ability that going unconscious/insane lowered your respective maximum. His other ability  had to do with putting Deep Ones on the River Docks and Unvisited Isle. I thought he was kickass...

Tibs said:

We really don't need to. This is a revised Cthulhu that's effectively a replacement for the older one.

PS—my first designed herald was "Dagon" and he included the ability that going unconscious/insane lowered your respective maximum. His other ability  had to do with putting Deep Ones on the River Docks and Unvisited Isle. I thought he was kickass...

Right, but there's no official print out.  So, we might as well make a herald out of the changes.

jhaelen said:

Julia said:

I mean, there are two AOs I don't like at all: Y'golonac and Rhan Tegoth, simply because their doom track advances on the basis of bad luck.

Yup, I dislike them for the same reason. Y'golonac isn't quite as bad since you can refrain from buying items to reduce the chance of having to add extra doom tokens but against Rhan Tegoth it's pure chance.

There should be some way to avoid adding a doom token when a cultist is drawn even if it's either very difficult or similarly bad, e.g. sacrificing an ally instead or something.

We've played some games adding the new doom token on top of an already placed token. This means he does not gets closer to be awoken, but he gets harder when he awakens. It works well in my group since we "let's" the ancient one awoke alot.. so it balances out. Do not have the Corruptions cards yet. :/

Tibs said:

Oh I know you do, Mr. "Three-Heralds-In-One-Game" Von "We-Lost-To-Azathoth-Because-Terror-Track-Was-Half-As-Long."

Once (two years ago, I think) I played with four Heralds against Cthulhu (2 official ones, Dagon & Hydra, and 2 custom ones, Basatan and the Galaxy of R'lyeh). My head is still aching, but it was fun ::laughing:: Uhm. Probably Avi has a bad influence upon me ::nodding::

Tibs said:

Oh I know you do, Mr. "Three-Heralds-In-One-Game" Von "We-Lost-To-Azathoth-Because-Terror-Track-Was-Half-As-Long."

::Laughter:: I still think we could have won that game if we'd been thinking about the reduced terror track more clearly. AZATHOOOOOOTH!

Julia said:

Tibs said:

Once (two years ago, I think) I played with four Heralds against Cthulhu (2 official ones, Dagon & Hydra, and 2 custom ones, Basatan and the Galaxy of R'lyeh). My head is still aching, but it was fun ::laughing:: Uhm. Probably Avi has a bad influence upon me ::nodding::

Holy hell!  Wow!

I hope you used some really strong investigators.

Now I want to try that too ;'D

EcnoTheNeato said:

Judging by the maniacal laughter, it sounds like you're still suffering from the madness from that game o_O

Yep, probably the damage is permanent ::laughing:: anyway, Dagon & Hydra can be handled with some strategy, Basatan is a very elegant Herald Veet created not so a long ago and the three together were still doable (with some efforts and patience). The problem was dealing even with the fourth one (check it out the Galaxy here), which was enough nightmarish even without other Heralds' help. Being drawned was such an exquisite pleasure that I have planned a re-match. It's... kinda fascinating :-)

Avi_dreader said:

Holy hell!  Wow!

I hope you used some really strong investigators.

Now I want to try that too ;'D

The investigators were strong (Patrice, Hank, Silas, Rita, Carolyn), but Julia wasn't that skilled at the time, so, sadly, it didn't last very long. I'd love to try it now, and see. Maybe if I'm able to beat it, I'm gonna use even my R'lyeh Awakens (when the final version will finally be ready) as 5th Herald another time, just to have the complete Cthulhu's armies ready to invade Arkham...

Julia said:

Wha-! sorpresa.gif Avi, what have you done with her?! What eldritch horrors did you whisper in her ear?

mi-go hunter said:

Julia said:

Wha-! sorpresa.gif Avi, what have you done with her?! What eldritch horrors did you whisper in her ear?

:') I think I want to try that too.  I think my ideal team would be Patrice, Silas, Hank, and Roland.  3 2nd tier investigators and one 1st tier.  Sounds like a fair fight :'D

And of course, Silas would be brutishly powerful in the aqua everywhere scenario.

Avi_dreader said:

mi-go hunter said:

:') I think I want to try that too. 

What? Whispering horrors to my ear? Don't you think I've been Avi-ed enough since the time when I refused to play against Azathoth cause I was never able to win before final battle? ::laughing::

Avi_dreader said:

I think my ideal team would be Patrice, Silas, Hank, and Roland.  3 2nd tier investigators and one 1st tier.  Sounds like a fair fight :'D

And of course, Silas would be brutishly powerful in the aqua everywhere scenario.

Yeah, probably the best team possible with four investigators. I really like Roland. Teamed with Patrice, he should be impressive. Once I had Patrice with two Press Passes. Even this was quite nightmarish

He certainly excels at it like no one else. Maybe a 1.5 tier? Because he's probably the best monster hunter of all time (of all time!). But Mandy and Patrice just seem to be in a whole other league...I'd be okay with calling him 1st tier, though, but I think tiers are mostly opinion based anyway. Some will occur in more spots then others (Mandy and Patrice always being in the top), but some investigators fit certain peoples' play styles. I'm okay with putting Hank up top, though, because of his non-need to make a horror check until AFTER the combat check. Ridiculous!

A small aside from the fascinating discussion between the AH-Board regulars:

The picture of Daoloth is a bit strange. It does not conform with the description given by Ramsey Campbell. No hemispheres, no shining metal, no long plastic rods.  Looks almost as if someone made his own interpretation of how it looks like (similar -> picture of Azathot from the main box).

avec said:

Hank is second tier?  Maybe if he can't get a weapon.  Otherwise he hoovers up monsters in nothing flat.  

You don't win the game by killing monsters.  You win the game with Mandy, or Patrice, or Wendy, or Daisy, or Darrell (if exploited properly), or Joe (if you're ruthless enough to clue nuke the Ancient One).

Hank is a great character, but he's not a character who can almost carry a game on his shoulders solo.  But yes, I'll agree that the second tier characters have some gaps in power.  They're mostly there because they're clue generators or great fighters.

subochre said:

This is a second draft; the original portrait was much more accurate, but the artist...had a problem. sorpresa.gif

Sounds lovecraftesque. What was it, if you don't mind sharing the secret?