Sign in to follow this  
Tibs

Daoloth and other promotional items

Neat stuff.  I like the Daoloth stuff...sounds quite evil, especially the bit about removing explored icons after the monster surge.  I've liked the concept of Daoloth ever since I saw this neat Call of Cthulhu plot for him that involved a heck of a lot of odd glitches in time and space.

This Strange Eons thing...that's for making custom content?  Very cool.  Don't think I'm anywhere near needing that yet, but I'm very impressed that Arkham Horror has such a utility available.

Also, thank you all for the mental image of Cthulhu telling some kid to make sure to have his little girl home by 11.

Avi_dreader said:

Could you guys think of extra abilities and effects that you'd like to tag on to other already existing Ancient Ones to amplify them thematically or in terms of difficulty?

Nyogtha – If the first encounter that an investigator draws at an unstable location does not automatically result in a monster appearing, the investigator discards it and draws again. (Darrell applies this rule to both cards that he draws.)

Y’Golonac – When an investigator draws a Tome, he draws a corruption card in addition to adding a doom token to the doom track

Yib-tstll – Always use the Tulzscha herald.  In addition, Cultists have the Moon, Circle, or Hexagon symbol (in that order) for purposes of movement.

Yig – When an investigator is knocked unconscious or goes insane, he is Cursed.

I like your Y'Golonac and Yig abilities, as they are more thematic. But the Nyogtha ability seems like it's just to make Nyogtha harder.

The Yibb ability I don't like at all, particularly for its "always use ___ herald" ability. Heralds should be as mix-and-match as possible.

Tibs said:

I like your Y'Golonac and Yig abilities, as they are more thematic. 

Thanks!

Tibs said:

But the Nyogtha ability seems like it's just to make Nyogtha harder.

Yep, that's what it's for.  I'd argue that it makes Nyogtha more thematic, since you actually get to see the ol' tendril once in while.  But it's more of an augmentation of an existing rule than a new rule.  

Tibs said:

IThe Yibb ability I don't like at all, particularly for its "always use ___ herald" ability. Heralds should be as mix-and-match as possible.

I personally don't mix and match heralds much.  I use them to augment certain Ancient Ones.  For example, I almost always combine the Black Goat with Shub.  But I could see how people who mix and match wouldn't like this ability.  The thematic rationale is that Yibb is all-seeing, and can therefore direct her cultists to the nasty Elder Signs.

What I really want to see is a modification to Nyarlathotep. Right now, the "Crawling Chaos" is one of the weakest AOs, and that seems a little wrong. Actually, all the base games AOS need to be beefed up (other than Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth).

Last game played against Nyarlathotep was so easy, it was laughable. The only Mask monster that popped up in the game was the Wailing Writher, which mainly just sat there and wailed, no chance against an investigator with the Disguise skill.

I went through the trouble of creating (and/or swiping) a whole bunch of new Mask monsters and making chits for them.  I also created a bunch of "advanced cultists" who serve Nyarlathotep and who have infiltrated the Police Station, University, Hospital, etc.  It was a lot of work, but Nyarlathotep is now one of the harder AOs and probably the most interesting.

A sample Mask monster is Hecate, the Thousand-Faced Moon

Evade -2, Horror -3, Horror Damage 2, Combat -4, Combat Damage 2, Toughness 3.  Physical Immunity.  Whenever a spell or magic weapon is used against Hecate, it is discarded and a new one is drawn at the end of the combat round.

A sample undercover cultists is Cultist (Cop)

Evade -1 (elusive), no Horror check, Combat -1, Combat Damage 2, Toughness 1.  Place cultist at the police station.  When it moves, return it to the box and add a doom token to the doom track.  Before making a combat check against the cultist, you must pass a Luck -2 check or you are arrested. 

I got most of them off the old forums, though a few are my own creation.  

We played a game once with Hastur and one of the Heralds (I think Tulzscha) and the game was just dragging on, but the Terror Level never went up. So when I drew Call (Summon?) the Ancient One, I cast it so we could defeat Hastur and get the game over with. So I agree, most if not all the original AOs are not that difficult to contend with.

mi-go hunter said:

What I really want to see is a modification to Nyarlathotep. Right now, the "Crawling Chaos" is one of the weakest AOs, and that seems a little wrong. Actually, all the base games AOS need to be beefed up (other than Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth).

Last game played against Nyarlathotep was so easy, it was laughable. The only Mask monster that popped up in the game was the Wailing Writher, which mainly just sat there and wailed, no chance against an investigator with the Disguise skill.

Check out page 47 of the Ancient Ones thread in fan creations.  Just ignore the parts about starting them off with doom tokens (except for Azathoth who should start off with three doom tokens).

mi-go hunter said:

Oh god...  You should see the Nyarlathotep variant I made recently.  It should be somewhere on the first three pages of the fan creations section (I'll eventually post it, once I clean up the text, into the heralds section).  I've played it once so far, and a few other people have too.  It's brutal, and loads of fun.

Tibs said:

Well, the Serpent People are actually serpents of Yoth, who had forsaken Yig long ago. Yig no longer offers them his protection, so a doom token should not be added. Not that anyone bothers to kill Serpent People anyway.

I don't know if any other AOs need too big of a boost. Maybe Nyar's attack should bite 2 clues instead of 1. Hastur needs a "start of battle" ability like raising the terror level by 2 or making everyone lose a sanity.

As for the question "is Cthulhu a good dad"... well, you could judge that by how his kids turned out. Let's go ask... GHATANOTHOA!

Thanks for the precisation about the Serpent People, I didn't know that. As far as killing them... well, depends on where they do appear. If they're on a board with vortices, I generally try to kill them. Besides, SP trophies are something nice to have in case of need.

Any piece of news regarding Cthulhu's wife / bride / whatelse?

Julia, who wonders what the Hell should a Cthulhish reproduction be like (hey! beware! whose that tentacle? It's mine?)

Sdrolion said:

This Strange Eons thing...that's for making custom content?  Very cool.  Don't think I'm anywhere near needing that yet, but I'm very impressed that Arkham Horror has such a utility available.

Yep, Strange Eons is something incredible :-) In case, surf a little the fan creation section of this forum (or follow the links in the signature of some regular writers of this forum). You'll find tons of new Ancient Ones, Heralds, Guardians, Scenarios and whatelse to see the infinite universe of Arkham under a new, enhanced perspective ::smiling::

avec said:

Y’Golonac – When an investigator draws a Tome, he draws a corruption card in addition to adding a doom token to the doom track

I love this one. It's great, it has a lot of sense, it would also be better if the corruption would be drawn instead of adding the doomer. I mean, there are two AOs I don't like at all: Y'golonac and Rhan Tegoth, simply because their doom track advances on the basis of bad luck. And if it is true that it's rare to be forced to draw Unique items, and so you can play against Y'golonac simply without going curiosity-shopping, you cannot do anything strategic to avoid drawing cultists from the cup. If both these abilities could have been changed into "draw the top corruption card", that would be better. In my humble opinion, at least

@Mi-go: In case you need, here you'll find a Herald I created to be used with Nyarly. It's made to make things a little more complicated with Masks in play, and his Start of Battle ability is a little tougher

JerusalemJones said:

We played a game once with Hastur and one of the Heralds (I think Tulzscha) and the game was just dragging on, but the Terror Level never went up. So when I drew Call (Summon?) the Ancient One, I cast it so we could defeat Hastur and get the game over with. So I agree, most if not all the original AOs are not that difficult to contend with.

I use Next Act Begins cards only when I play against Hastur.  I also use an anti-dilution mechanic (so the NAB cards are actually dangerous).  Even then, he's not extremely brutal.  

Thanks Avi, Avec, and Julia, for all your suggestions to boost Nyarly. Very nice ideas (especially the herald. Brutal!) I'll definitely implement some, if not all of these modifications the next time I fight him.

mi-go hunter said:

Thanks Avi, Avec, and Julia, for all your suggestions to boost Nyarly. Very nice ideas (especially the herald. Brutal!) I'll definitely implement some, if not all of these modifications the next time I fight him.

In case you have time, let us know how it goes :-)

Julia said:

avec said:

I love this one. It's great, it has a lot of sense, it would also be better if the corruption would be drawn instead of adding the doomer. I mean, there are two AOs I don't like at all: Y'golonac and Rhan Tegoth, simply because their doom track advances on the basis of bad luck. And if it is true that it's rare to be forced to draw Unique items, and so you can play against Y'golonac simply without going curiosity-shopping, you cannot do anything strategic to avoid drawing cultists from the cup. If both these abilities could have been changed into "draw the top corruption card", that would be better. In my humble opinion, at least

Thanks!  Avi had a good suggestion over on the Fan Creations board to draw two or three corruption cards with each tome.  If there were multiple corruption cards per tome, it would compensate for not adding a doom token.  

avec said:

Thanks!  Avi had a good suggestion over on the Fan Creations board to draw two or three corruption cards with each tome.  If there were multiple corruption cards per tome, it would compensate for not adding a doom token.  

Yep, I read his suggestion and liked the idea. 2 corruptions seems fair to me. I'm gonna give this a try in quite a short time (hopefully)

For Rhan, I'll try something like this: each time a cultist is drawn, the first player must draw the top red corruption card. Every time an investigator enters combat with a cultist, he has to draw the top green corruption card. I know I'm totally hijacking the AO, but honestly, I don't like it at all.

Julia said:

For Rhan, I'll try something like this: each time a cultist is drawn, the first player must draw the top red corruption card. Every time an investigator enters combat with a cultist, he has to draw the top green corruption card. I know I'm totally hijacking the AO, but honestly, I don't like it at all.

::Laughter:: that's really scary.  There are some insane red corruptions.  But I like the idea :'D a lot.  It'd make for a really intense game with cards that are rarely seen.

mi-go hunter said:

Try this one too :'D

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=113&efcid=1&efidt=407250

Julia said:

I mean, there are two AOs I don't like at all: Y'golonac and Rhan Tegoth, simply because their doom track advances on the basis of bad luck.
Yup, I dislike them for the same reason. Y'golonac isn't quite as bad since you can refrain from buying items to reduce the chance of having to add extra doom tokens but against Rhan Tegoth it's pure chance.

There should be some way to avoid adding a doom token when a cultist is drawn even if it's either very difficult or similarly bad, e.g. sacrificing an ally instead or something.

Avi_dreader said:

::Laughter:: that's really scary.  There are some insane red corruptions.  But I like the idea :'D a lot.  It'd make for a really intense game with cards that are rarely seen.

:-D that's the point. The game will still be scary, but at least you have a chance to beat it, dealing with nasty situation strategically. Besides, Red corruptions enter almost never the game, and it's a pity. Generally speaking, Corruptions were a good idea that should be merged better in the game, even if not playing with the Black Goat Herald. I was thinking about house-ruling this in some way. Every AO should be related to a certain OW, thus you can relate an AO to at least one particular dimensional symbol. For this reason, you can apply the Hex-Corruption combo to any other World in the very same way. Atlach comes from the Dreamlands and the Dreamlands gate has a slash on it? Then, every time you defeat a Slash monster you draw a corruption