Sign in to follow this  
Tibs

Daoloth and other promotional items

I didn't expect FFG to have made the AOs available, but I'm appalled that only one guy has uploaded a cell phone pic of the new AOs.

I took the liberty of making them in Strange Eons, using the Daoloth picture uploaded to FFG's Arkham Nights 2011 announcement page.

Revised Cthulhu AO sheet

Daoloth AO sheet

And for those of you who never saw my original thread, since Daoloth doesn't have any sinster plots, so I made them:

Daoloth Sinister Plot backside

Daoloth Sinister Plot 1

Daoloth Sinister Plot 2

Daoloth Sinister Plot 3

Here's the Oliver Grayson card, for the curious:

Oliver Grayson ally card

Personally I think this ability is insanely powerful. But that may be just to counteract the fact that there are no encounter cards available to gain him.

Here is the new Hastur, premiered at Arkham Nights 2011:

hasturiiao.jpg

It took me a while to get used to the flat –5 modifier rather than the awesome-on-paper –X. But the rest of the revisions are undeniably better.

Here's the Danced of the Damned Mythos card. Looks fun and challenging, and the "starting rumor variant" guarantees both that, unlike Grayson, this card will see play; and that you won't get an early-game rumor card, which usually sucks.

dancemythosfullweb.jpg

Here is the new Yig, premiered at Arkham Nights 2012

yigrevisedweb.jpg

I used photoshop, and with Free Transform (Ctrl-T) I was able to stretch each corner individually (hold Alt) so that I could eliminate the point perspective.

Then I downloaded a trial version of a program called AKVIS. I didn't have to change the noise-removal settings too much from their default values. It also looks like the program can make photos look like paintings to a better degree than Photoshop can. This feature may be of interest to people who want to design investigators and are using photographs as their images.

Tibs said:

I used photoshop, and with Free Transform (Ctrl-T) I was able to stretch each corner individually (hold Alt) so that I could eliminate the point perspective.

Then I downloaded a trial version of a program called AKVIS. I didn't have to change the noise-removal settings too much from their default values. It also looks like the program can make photos look like paintings to a better degree than Photoshop can. This feature may be of interest to people who want to design investigators and are using photographs as their images.

That's a great thing to know. Thanks a lot!

ricedwlit said:

Many thanks - every week I keep expecting FFG to post these and they never seem to get around to it.

If you look at the original picture you will see expansion symbols in the bottom right corner of the sheets. If they stick with their current release pattern we are in for a new board expansion sometime this summer and my guess is that those two make it into that expansion. That would explain why they are not releasing them for free (excluding their promotional at arkham nights.)

One can hope at least :)

H.P. Lovecraft said:

I don't remember Lovecraft mentioning that Cthulhu had a brotherlengua.gif

You'd be right! That's why August Derleth took it upon himself to declare that Hastur was Cthulhu's half-brother, and they oppose each other because Cthulhu is water elemental and Hastur is air elemental.

Almost forgot to mention Brian Lumley's deity, Kthanid, who is not only Cthulhu's alleged brother, but is also benevolent to mankind.

serio.gif

RocksLikeToast said:

sooooo...these are official FFG?...what were they going to be from?

Oh, both Cthulhu and Daoloth are promotional Ancient Ones, handed out as freebies during the Aarkham Nights event at Roseville, Minnesota. So these aren't a part of any expansions yet, but they are official.

ahhh ok...Cthulu is just new art right? while Daoloth is completely new?

I'm hoping that they make at least one more official expansion... doesn't have to be a board but maybe a big card expansion that adds a few cards to all the cards from all the expansions? (more AO, Investigators, mythos, OW, encounters (for all boards as well), exhibit, corruption, cult encounters, etc, etc...)

I couldn't make out the expansion symbol well enough to re-create it for the AO sheets.

RocksLikeToast said:

I'm hoping that they make at least one more official expansion... doesn't have to be a board but maybe a big card expansion that adds a few cards to all the cards from all the expansions? (more AO, Investigators, mythos, OW, encounters (for all boards as well), exhibit, corruption, cult encounters, etc, etc...)

Cthulhu isn't merely new art. "New-thulhu" does everything he used to, except that he has two new abilities: Cultists are aquatic movement-type, and if someone runs out of sanity/stamina, his maximum sanity/stamina is reduced by 1.

Tibs said:

You'd be right! That's why August Derleth took it upon himself to declare that Hastur was Cthulhu's half-brother, and they oppose each other because Cthulhu is water elemental and Hastur is air elemental.

Almost forgot to mention Brian Lumley's deity, Kthanid, who is not only Cthulhu's alleged brother, but is also benevolent to mankind.

serio.gif

Don't forget that Cthulhu (allegedly) has a daughter, too! Cthylla is her name, I believe. What a twist!

EcnoTheNeato said:

Tibs said:

serio.gif

Don't forget that Cthulhu (allegedly) has a daughter, too! Cthylla is her name, I believe. What a twist!

Wow, never knew that... I wonder if Cthulhu is a nice dad.

Tibs:
Cthulhu isn't merely new art. "New-thulhu" does everything he used to, except that he has two new abilities: Cultists are aquatic movement-type, and if someone runs out of sanity/stamina, his maximum sanity/stamina is reduced by 1.

The latter ability is a killer, especially for the investigators which would normally start with 3 max sanity or stamina. Not only do they start with just two as before, it only take two trips to the asylyum/hospital to devour. Start with one strike, two more and you're out!

mi-go hunter said:

Wow, never knew that... I wonder if Cthulhu is a nice dad.

Probs not. Apparently he keeps her cooped up in an ancient temple somewhere, so she can't go out, and is guarded by monsters so no one can get in. The cultists say it's because she's vital for Cthulhu's return to this realm, but we ALL know it's so she doesn't go gallivanting with boys...She can't even sneak out the windows, because there are none!

Tibs said:

I couldn't make out the expansion symbol well enough to re-create it for the AO sheets.

RocksLikeToast said:

Hmm...  This kind of gave me an idea.

Could you guys think of extra abilities and effects that you'd like to tag on to other already existing Ancient Ones to amplify them thematically or in terms of difficulty?

Avi_dreader said:

Could you guys think of extra abilities and effects that you'd like to tag on to other already existing Ancient Ones to amplify them thematically or in terms of difficulty?

It would be nice having Yog-Sothoth with an ability similar to Daoloth power to switch gate markers on monster surges. This will increase drastically the number of investigators LiTaS. Also, for Yib, as per Tibs league scenario 1, Serpent people do add doomers. Possibly an extended doom track (13) but with the poisonous bite ability of your league Scenario 6. Giving Shub the ability to spawn more Dark young into play (upon monster surges? every time a monster surge happens, place a Dark youn on every open gate, making them not counting against the monster limit). Just a couple of ideas, nothing more

Well, the Serpent People are actually serpents of Yoth, who had forsaken Yig long ago. Yig no longer offers them his protection, so a doom token should not be added. Not that anyone bothers to kill Serpent People anyway.

I don't know if any other AOs need too big of a boost. Maybe Nyar's attack should bite 2 clues instead of 1. Hastur needs a "start of battle" ability like raising the terror level by 2 or making everyone lose a sanity.

As for the question "is Cthulhu a good dad"... well, you could judge that by how his kids turned out. Let's go ask... GHATANOTHOA!

Tibs said:

Well, the Serpent People are actually serpents of Yoth, who had forsaken Yig long ago. Yig no longer offers them his protection, so a doom token should not be added. Not that anyone bothers to kill Serpent People anyway.

I don't know if any other AOs need too big of a boost. Maybe Nyar's attack should bite 2 clues instead of 1. Hastur needs a "start of battle" ability like raising the terror level by 2 or making everyone lose a sanity.

As for the question "is Cthulhu a good dad"... well, you could judge that by how his kids turned out. Let's go ask... GHATANOTHOA!

It's not a question of *need* it's a question of just throwing some stuff on to add to thematic fun or game difficulty (so you can play some tougher investigators without feeling guilty).

Anyhoo, I just posted mods for all the expansion AOs in the fan creation section (since I'd already done it for the base game AOs months ago).