Sign in to follow this  
The_Warlock

Multiple Warhorses

Q: Can a Character use multiple Warhorses at a time?

We used to have only one in the deck, now we have 4 with the Stable Cards. It is possible to stack the same effect from different sources (Monk Inner Belief, Psionic Blast, Warhorse), but what about the same effect from identical cards?

I think this is allowed, however you can't benefit from more than one warhorse at the same time. This bring another question, what would happen if you have 3 warhorses and you lose a fight, should all 3 warhorses be discarded?

frogemoth said:

I think this is allowed, however you can't benefit from more than one warhorse at the same time. This bring another question, what would happen if you have 3 warhorses and you lose a fight, should all 3 warhorses be discarded?

Why wouldn't you benefit? Sure, realistically you can't ride all three at the same time, but realism has no business in Talisman. If you got the boosts, use 'em I say. And I would say if you lose a fight, you lose all things that go poof upon losing a fight.

I would say no, you can`t stack the warhourse ability, you can have 3 of them in posession yes, but only use one at a time. you onle have one craft value, lets say 3..... and strenght 2, this will bring up you strenght to 5 in battle, the war hourse says add your craft value to strenght....... so no matter how many cards you have thats says that,  it`s only just 3 you add no matter. pretty clear to me anyway.

Fredrik Winde said:

I would say no, you can`t stack the warhourse ability, you can have 3 of them in posession yes, but only use one at a time. you onle have one craft value, lets say 3..... and strenght 2, this will bring up you strenght to 5 in battle, the war hourse says add your craft value to strenght....... so no matter how many cards you have thats says that,  it`s only just 3 you add no matter. pretty clear to me anyway.

Monk can already use his own ability and Psionic Blast or Warhorse on top of it (FAQ), essentially adding his Craft value twice. Are you saying a normal character couldn't use 2x Psionic Blast?

Dam said:

Fredrik Winde said:

Monk can already use his own ability and Psionic Blast or Warhorse on top of it (FAQ), essentially adding his Craft value twice. Are you saying a normal character couldn't use 2x Psionic Blast?

I'm with Dam on this one.  According to the FAQ which proves that multiple applications of what is essentially the same bonus can be administered (Monk, Psionic Blast, Warhorse), there's no reason one couldn't use more than one warhorse, especially since you probably DESERVE to since to me it would be such a rare thing to have happen (unless of course you have tons and tons of gold to spend at the Livery and are able to land on it multiple times)

You do realize that with this ruling the Lepreachaun will be next to unstoppable if the stable card is drawn? That is what has happened in one of our recent game, the Lepreachaun had the 3 warhorses but we only allowed him to use one at a time and after he loss a fight he had to ditch all 3 warhorses.

frogemoth said:

You do realize that with this ruling the Lepreachaun will be next to unstoppable if the stable card is drawn? That is what has happened in one of our recent game, the Lepreachaun had the 3 warhorses but we only allowed him to use one at a time and after he loss a fight he had to ditch all 3 warhorses.

The Alchemist, too, but I feel this is still the way it goes by the rules.  Just because the Warrior has two basic swords doesn't mean he can't use them together at the same time.  If a Riding horse can be used along with a warhorse, why not two warhorses.

It may be different for other people, but the Adventure deck is getting so big with all the expansions that last game we had was the first time we even saw the Stables cards being used, and that's after nearly 8 games played with Sacred Pools.  The Livery made its first appearance for us, finally, so I don't really see this as a major issue if its appearance is scarce.

frogemoth said:

Warhorse does nothing for him in psychic combat (except IIRC if he loses psychic combat, he'll still lose the Warhorses) and you can always take them from him as Sorceress/Vampiress, Toad him and take them, etc.

Drake Leonclaw said:

You are correct, Dam, the warhorse still goes bye bye when losing in a psychic combat

(didn't mean to hit publish so quickly) It's the reason I don't care for the Dread Knight.  He seemed like such an interesting character, but early in the game when he's still weak, if you draw a nasty spirit and lose to it, you're severely gimped unless you can manage to make a lucky roll and land back on the graveyard.  Last game I had him my friend was a real tool and managed to change my alignment to good, effectively punishing me if ever I wanted to get my warhorse back.  Dread Knight's been used by various players in 3 games and he's died all 3.

Plus, it's not like Destruction Spell gets much mileage anyways, Academy and Stable are nice prime targets if a rich character is in the game (unless you're richie rich of course). In which case you could easily get to the Stable first and buy off the Warhorses, leaving nothing for the Leprechaun.

interesting question

If a monk can stack a warhorse with his ability or 2 psionic blast cards, then more warhorses could be allowed.

It's only a bit weird if you could do that, and could be very powerful..

This needs clarificarion..

Velhart said:

interesting question

If a monk can stack a warhorse with his ability or 2 psionic blast cards, then more warhorses could be allowed.

It's only a bit weird if you could do that, and could be very powerful..

This needs clarificarion..

I think it's pretty clear that both could be used.  It seems to me that many people think it's weird because a human being can only be mounted on one horse at any given time.  While this is true, who says that the player is mounted during combat?  Sure it makes the most sense, to have the horse biting and hoofing while its rider slashes with his or her sword, but there's no reason that a well trained warhorse couldn't be flanking and opponent with its faithful companion.  When you consider this, two horses, or three or four or whatever, are irrelevant.

But this is all superfluous, anyway.

I came across a situation today where 1 player had 4 warhourses

Yes it was insanely powerful but its easily fixable by toadafying them :)

or finger of death

or the crazy amount of other spells that can steal remove or destroy followers

there are also many places on the maps where you need to get rid of a follower or where followers die

in addition the chances of it happening are very slim but they did not win the game