Sign in to follow this  
Targetlock

Green Heresy?

has anyone done an alien campaign yet for Dark heresy. i'm planning to use the Ork rules from Into the Storm to create a Ork-themed campaigndemonio.gif. the players will be a group of Kommandos and be sent on missions by their boss (kind of like Gorkamorka roleplay sort of thing) i've already started doing some house rules for more ork stuff (background packages, gretchin player characters, more gear, ork bionics etc). i was curious as to what you guys think of this idea? and for any ideas or suggestions.

That could be quite cool, as long as it remained comedic, IMO.  How could an Ork campaign be anything but humourous?  

You'd need some animosity type rules i think.  Any dissenting opinions within the group should immediately be resolved by melee combat?

Weapons should be unreliable (i dont have Into the Storm, yet, and i can't recall the stats for the provided ork weapons in creatures ananthema?)

Awesome idea! I believe GorkaMorka is a very good source. Do you plan on doing the adventure within ork society to make it a bit more social campaign, or do you plan on going out on combat missions?

Ork weapons are quite reliable as long as an ork is using them, see note at the very bottom of Creatures Anathema p 102. It's the power of the waaaagh you know. Same collective-suggestion-effect that makes red painjobs a speed increase for ork vehicles :-)

I developed a nice, simple patch on the basic DH ruleset which allows for a Tau Empire campaign. (Uses 1st Sphere, 2nd Sphere, 3rd Sphere, Demiurg Automaton, Kroot and Gue'vesa 'homeworld traits', with the careers just being the normal ones, but with a little modification. Statlines come from Caste/Race rather than homeworld.)

Taking the Tau Empire as the setting, I roughly converted up a couple of scenarios set during the late stages of the Third Sphere Expansion using Call of Cthulhu investigations as a template (Tau seems a good place for that creeping descent into how horrid the universe actually is...). The premise for why there's a group of oddballs wandering about is that they were being taken from frontline service to be seconded to a strategic-level think-tank/fleet command. Some had displayed deviant behaviours, some had unique experiences and so forth, so it'd be normal for them to be 'removed' from their natural places, to be taken into the care of Ethereals and sanctioned 'edge of the system' researchers.

But they didn't arrive there, a delay in the shipping meant they were left on a small waystation above a barely-found colony world. And that's when the mystery began...!

It requires a serious modification to attitudes in play and style in GMing, but beyond that, I think the basic precepts of Dark Heresy are pretty reasonably reapplicable, especially into the Tau Empire, you just need to create the right environment and setting for taking them 'outside' the conventional flow.

"You meet in a bar," doesn't quite cut it, does it?

Essentially the plan is the player group is part of an invasion force on an imperial world. the group is a kommando group who will sent on special tasks by thier warboss. the main ork base is their camp so as well as miltary missions there will other tasks involving other npcs. currently working on large batch of extra ork rules (gretchin player characters, ork bioniks, background packages, more gear etc)

mission ideas include:

Da Big Fort: the player group have to infiltrate and destroy a set of siege guns in a huge imperial fortress and allowing the ork force to attack.

Spare Partz: one of the camp mekboyz have hired the group to gather some spare parts for this latest invention. the only problem is most of the stuff on the list is vague and difficult to find.

Formula Waargh! with the warboss's latest victory the clans have organised a race and the group have been volunteered to take part! very silly and completely bonkers racing.

Essentially the plan is the player group is part of an invasion force on an imperial world. the group is a kommando group who will sent on special tasks by thier warboss. the main ork base is their camp so as well as miltary missions there will other tasks involving other npcs. currently working on large batch of extra ork rules (gretchin player characters, ork bioniks, background packages, more gear etc)

mission ideas include:

Da Big Fort: the player group have to infiltrate and destroy a set of siege guns in a huge imperial fortress and allowing the ork force to attack.

Spare Partz: one of the camp mekboyz have hired the group to gather some spare parts for this latest invention. the only problem is most of the stuff on the list is vague and difficult to find.

Formula Waargh! with the warboss's latest victory the clans have organised a race and the group have been volunteered to take part! very silly and completely bonkers racing.

Asgard4tw said:

That could be quite cool, as long as it remained comedic, IMO.  How could an Ork campaign be anything but humourous?  

You'd need some animosity type rules i think.  Any dissenting opinions within the group should immediately be resolved by melee combat?

Weapons should be unreliable (i dont have Into the Storm, yet, and i can't recall the stats for the provided ork weapons in creatures ananthema?)

Hiyas!

Altho' they appear goofy & cartoonish at first, FFG's take on Orks seem to be pretty creepy, dark & bestial, at least in the Rogue Trader setting of books.

My 2 Thrones

L

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about facing off with eco-terrorists spouting the heresy that the planets need to be preserved.

Regarding the Green Heresy, there's quite a few references to orks as player character possabilities in Rogue Trader's Into The Storm. I would assume it can be scaled down into Dark Heresy proper by just restricting gear and exp amounts. Even includes classes like Ork Kommando's which look like they could potentially be alot of fun especially given your stated missions.

@ Xisor; is there anywhere one can see this Tau supplement, I was hoping to have some in my games but I dont have any rules and stuff

I'm sure the rules mechanics will support an all-Ork campaign; my concern would be in terms of roll-playing. Will an all-Ork party have enough variety of personality types to make an interesting sustained campaign? The GorkaMorka skirmish game was intended to be the first in a series of Necromaunda spin-offs covering different aspects of the 40K universe, but it sold poorly and quashed that idea. I think the reason GorkaMorka didn't catch on is that Orks simply lack the variety of most other races (compared to the six types of gangs in the Necromunda starter set, GorkaMorka only had two types, and the follow-up suplement had to resort to non-Ork gangs for variety). During character creation, I'd be sure to work with the players to develop very specific personalites for the PCs that still work within the established Orkoid worldview. If every player makes their character a "classic" Ork, I think boredom will set in pretty quickly...

I was planning to do an orky campaign (check out the threads on the ubject on the RT forum) but my big issue, as has already been mentioned was variety in characters - not necessarily in personality but with only a single career (and two alt ranks) I could see that soon everybody would be pretty much the same and there'd be little differentiation.

Ideally I'd like to flesh out the career with some more Alt ranks (painboyz, speed freaks etc) and perhaps a weirdboyz career...Plus one of my players liked the idea of playing a series of grots or gretchins who invariably got killed in nasty and messy ways, only to be replaced with a new and one next week ("Paranoia RPG" clone style...).  The thing is finding teh time to pull all that together.

As it was interest in the group shifted with the release of Blood of the Martyrs and so I've put plans on hold.

Nerd King said:

...Plus one of my players liked the idea of playing a series of grots or gretchins who invariably got killed in nasty and messy ways, only to be replaced with a new and one next week ("Paranoia RPG" clone style...). 

LOVE IT!   " Oh my godz! Dey killed Grotty! YER BASTERS! "