Sign in to follow this  
Tunnelhckrat

Grenades vs Hordes

the almighty frag grenade, as a blast 5 weapon,  Instantly does 5 damage against a horde. With the way the scatter rules read, a grenade will always hit a horde, with 3 frags each, a single horde only lasts 2 maybe 3 rounds. Is there a way to make hordes last longer so they  get a chance to hit something.

Tunnelhckrat said:

the almighty frag grenade, as a blast 5 weapon,  Instantly does 5 damage against a horde. With the way the scatter rules read, a grenade will always hit a horde, with 3 frags each, a single horde only lasts 2 maybe 3 rounds. Is there a way to make hordes last longer so they  get a chance to hit something.

Don't they score even an additional hit for Explosive damage?

There's multiple ways to house rule reduced damage - let the horde dodge and reduce damage by 1 per DoS. Or rule that a failed attack roll does half or no damage. (Just consider the horde in a bunker scenario.) Or you simply increase the magnitude?

Question: what kind of hordes do you have in mind? Renegade Militia?

Alex

If you are only using 1 Horde per encounter that has Hordes... you're doing it wrong. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Try running with 4-5 Hordes at a time. This way, they can "waste" all of their frag grenades if they want to... or, they could save them for a more useful situation.

Some people say Marines have unlimited frag and krak grenades due to the 'sufficient ammunition' comment, so you may end up with well over 3 grenades each (I don't, but the forums say people do).

And yes, because the grenade has the blast quality it does +1, so 6 mag damage provided it penetrates the armor and toughness of the folks that make up the horde. Remember flak armor is AP5 against blast weapons, so that may give them an added slice of fate (though not much). 

But I agree with both Chaos and AK here, consider using some of the home made partial dodge rules, and most definitely use more than one horde.  I think you'll find a grenade is peanuts compared to some of the other equipment Marines can direct against a horde.

I read stating "3 frag/3 krak" as meaning they have limited ammo. If they requisition it, I would probably allow hammerspace/infinite of them, but then it has a cost. As far as strength, yeah, as soon as you look at multiple hordes, grenades are perfectly fair. Just don't let them em in melee.

KommissarK said:

I read stating "3 frag/3 krak" as meaning they have limited ammo. If they requisition it, I would probably allow hammerspace/infinite of them, but then it has a cost. As far as strength, yeah, as soon as you look at multiple hordes, grenades are perfectly fair. Just don't let them em in melee.

Good call, I must simply still be jaded happy.gif

And I'm going to pretend you didn't bring up the grenades in melee one again!