Sign in to follow this  
frycook

Non exhaustible talents slotted to part sheet

So I'm GM'ing a party that is slotting a talent that doesn't need to be exhausted. It's something like Keen Eye - gain [W] when performing an observation test involving vision. It seems like these non exhaustible talents for the whole party are pretty powerful. Maybe too powerful. Is there any sort of limit to their use? I couldn't really find much more info about party slotted talents except for those two pages describing the parts of the party sheet. How are other GM's handling these types of talents. 

Yeah, they are pretty powerful and I think they are meant to be. Still, there is only one or two slots - nothing game changing.

But my players are shrewdly putting the "protective" talent in one of the slots, in effect giving them all a fortune die on all skill rolls as long as one of them is suffering from at least one critical wound (pretty much all the time). So now they're clinging on to those criticals, crying out with joy when that flesh wound refused to heal overnight...

It is the point of the Party Sheets, they are gravy and should motivate players to buy Talents. The ability from the sheet isn't as good as 2 or 3 group Talents.

The most powerful Talents are usually exhaustable ones.

i beg to differ about the exhaustible party talents. while i can see how a the exhaustible talents are powerful if slotted for a single character, for a party only one character gets the benefit and then the party needs to spend fortune to refresh it. for a non exhaustible talent, everyone in the party benefits from it all the time. or does exhausting a party talent give the bonus to all members of the party and i just read it wrong?

maybe i just need to come to grips with the importance of the party card. i've only run one session with a party of five characters and immediately we were seeing how beneficial the party talent slots are.

frycook said:

i beg to differ about the exhaustible party talents. while i can see how a the exhaustible talents are powerful if slotted for a single character, for a party only one character gets the benefit and then the party needs to spend fortune to refresh it. for a non exhaustible talent, everyone in the party benefits from it all the time. or does exhausting a party talent give the bonus to all members of the party and i just read it wrong?

maybe i just need to come to grips with the importance of the party card. i've only run one session with a party of five characters and immediately we were seeing how beneficial the party talent slots are.

You're right, the exhausted party talent get refreshed slower than a player's, only one token per round (all players / monsters acted once) is taken off of it unless player(s) pay(s) Fortune(s) to take off more of them. I meant the exhausted once are more powerful as a general rule (on player slots)

Cwell2101 said:

frycook said:

You're right, the exhausted party talent get refreshed slower than a player's, only one token per round (all players / monsters acted once) is taken off of it unless player(s) pay(s) Fortune(s) to take off more of them. I meant the exhausted once are more powerful as a general rule (on player slots)

Actually exhausted party talents don't have one token taken off each round. They only get tokens removed when a player spends fortune points to remove them, check the FAQ page 5. Optionally the GM may also allow one to be removed during the rally step.

pumpkin said:

Cwell2101 said:

frycook said:

Actually exhausted party talents don't have one token taken off each round. They only get tokens removed when a player spends fortune points to remove them, check the FAQ page 5. Optionally the GM may also allow one to be removed during the rally step.

Pumpkin's got it right, and when you add to that the fact that you can't swap out a talent that is currently exhausted, it's pretty hard to make a case for ever wasting a party sheet slot on an exhaustible talent.

I just go ahead and let each member take a token off the recharging party talent at the end of their turn.  I think it brings the recharge talents up to par with the "always on" kind.  Even then, my players just leave always-on talents slotted anyways.