Sign in to follow this  
N0-1_H3r3

The Emperor Protects is out!

At least, it is in the UK - I picked my copy up today... there's some interesting stuff there on first glance, though I've not yet had the time to look at it in any real detail.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

At least, it is in the UK - I picked my copy up today... there's some interesting stuff there on first glance, though I've not yet had the time to look at it in any real detail.

I am interested in the forge world aspect of this book. But you know my tastes, is it worth my time?

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Put on a spoiler warning and let us know more please. gran_risa.gif

Alex

God-Emperor dammit, why is it that FFG is in North America and yet the Brits get the books sooner? :) Canadian Amazon still says January 11, and my FLGS has no idea when they'll be getting the book at all.

So in the meantime... Spoilers please! :D

In the first chapter of this fantastic epic story, there's a small scene, that tells it all:

During a daring landing action, the (lead players) Chapter Master joins the players in the drop. During the fight that ensues (against a major Tau Force), the players get to extract with a Thunderhawk, but just as the doors slam shut the Chapter Master's leg gets trapped. The player's need to decide whether they will cut it off, but maybe one of the players think of pulling the leg with the SM's superhuman strength.

Just as our legs are.

Assume potential spoilers from here onwards:

Dulahan said:

Any new rules, like new chapters or anything? Or just adventures?

Many new NPCs and monsters, and a fairly nice mechanic for running mass battles.

New NPCs include: updated/revised versions of the Genestealer and Broodlord written for the full rules rather than the quick-start ones in Final Sanction, a few Alpha Legion Chaos Space Marines, Necron Tomb Spyders and Wraiths (though there is a sidebar saying that Necron involvement in 40kRP is limited, as official first contact between Necrons and the Imperium won't happen for a few decades yet), corrupted Skitarii and Skitarii Tribunes (minor officers), mutant Combat Servitors, Obliterators, a captive Venomthrope, and a powerful Chaos Sorcerer.

Hardrainfalling said:

where did you get it from in the UK? i have just had my gamesmasters pack posted from amazon

Eclectic Games in Reading. They're supplied by Esdevium Games, so pretty much any local games shop in the UK should have The Emperor Protects in stock.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

New NPCs include: updated/revised versions of the Genestealer and Broodlord written for the full rules rather than the quick-start ones in Final Sanction, a few Alpha Legion Chaos Space Marines, Necron Tomb Spyders and Wraiths (though there is a sidebar saying that Necron involvement in 40kRP is limited, as official first contact between Necrons and the Imperium won't happen for a few decades yet), corrupted Skitarii and Skitarii Tribunes (minor officers), mutant Combat Servitors, Obliterators, a captive Venomthrope, and a powerful Chaos Sorcerer.

**** you FFG. Looks like Im buying it!

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Impressive.

Are the hooks and the endings in the adventures better than the others published by FFG so far? The structure of Deathwatch (you get your orders, you go carry them out) would make the hooks easier to write at least...

Taken completely out of context to avoid spoilers.

The new book includes:

1. A T-rex hunt armed with stone age weapons
  2. Obliterators
  3. Alpha Legion Chaos Marines
  4. Necrons
  5. Rules for Genestealer infection

If these sound interesting then you'll probably like this book.

One odd thing though is that they seem to have completely ignored their own guidance for issuing Requisition points. The totals they give are far too low as suggested by the number and type of objectives, even though they break them down in detail. Now, I know the figures in the rulebook are just a guide, and I think the totals they give are fine for the missions, but it kinda looks like they decided they inflated the requisition figures too much in the rulebook.

can you post the new stats of the genestealers and the brood lord? I'm running Final sanction for my group, or at least the differences from the final sanction version. thanks

Razorboy said:

God-Emperor dammit, why is it that FFG is in North America and yet the Brits get the books sooner? :) Canadian Amazon still says January 11, and my FLGS has no idea when they'll be getting the book at all.

So in the meantime... Spoilers please! :D

Don't feel alone in this Razorboy, my FLGS didn't have it in at all this week, and I'm in the Southwestern U.S.  Though, I expect to have it in my immaculate paws prior to turkey-day.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Amazon's still showing me that this won't arrive until 1/13/11. I'm in the middle of running something else and probably won't get to start DW until after the first of the year anyway, but I'm also taking 2 weeks off from work and will have lots of time to kill, so could use me some new reading material. Torn between waiting to take advantage of the discount and splurging to get this sooner elsewhere.

ItsUncertainWho said:

Amazon always runs about a month or more late with FFG books.

I say take one for the team and support your FLGS. 

Oh I would, indeed I would. But you see, not every town has a FLGS. I say take one for the fans and make it available to the fans and not just the lucky ones near a FLGS or a FLGS that actually caries this book. Im 30 miles from the nearest "REAL" FLGS, but only 3 miles from a Books a Million. And guess what, neither one has this book.

Razorboy said:

Are the hooks and the endings in the adventures better than the others published by FFG so far? The structure of Deathwatch (you get your orders, you go carry them out) would make the hooks easier to write at least...

If you mean like the kidnapping at the start of Tattered Fates no, all missions are given to the players as orders from their watch commander.

At a quick skim the structure of the adventures does seem very good. I ran and was dismayed by Purge the Unclean which lacked connections and a satisfying resolution, The Emperor Protects seems to have learn't from this and does have a plot and connections between them with a conclusion and seemingly satisfying resolution in the end.

As I said, I've just had a skim but so far I'm very excited about this book.

B

Alagard said:

can you post the new stats of the genestealers and the brood lord? I'm running Final sanction for my group, or at least the differences from the final sanction version. thanks

I also am running Final Sanction at the moment but will not be using the Genestealers from The Emperor Protects reasoning that the variations are merely difference is breeds, both kinds in fact are named after the areas they are found in rather than just a definitive 'Genestealer'.

Effectively the TEP version has a few more traits notably giving more attacks but basically is the same.

As a side note, I really dislike the way NPC stat blocks are laid out. Before running an encounter I'll need to spend sometime wading through a bunch of traits to try work out exactly what the defense and attack options are. I would much prefer that attack and defensive options were clear and laid out from the get go.

B

Bazleebub said:

Alagard said:

I also am running Final Sanction at the moment but will not be using the Genestealers from The Emperor Protects reasoning that the variations are merely difference is breeds, both kinds in fact are named after the areas they are found in rather than just a definitive 'Genestealer'.

Effectively the TEP version has a few more traits notably giving more attacks but basically is the same.

As a side note, I really dislike the way NPC stat blocks are laid out. Before running an encounter I'll need to spend sometime wading through a bunch of traits to try work out exactly what the defense and attack options are. I would much prefer that attack and defensive options were clear and laid out from the get go.

B

I'd like to see the stats nonetheless, tbh, so if anybody with TEP could be so kind?

Alex

ItsUncertainWho said:

Amazon always runs about a month or more late with FFG books.

Actually, I got my copy of the core rulebook about a week and a half after it came out in the US from amazon...