Sign in to follow this  
Darkshroud

Death traps required! The estate of Gabriel Chase in TF

During the ticking down of the clock, one encounter in the adventure has a corridor of death in a secret passage. Now this sort of stuff is great fun yet there's not much else unless you consult the Reed Cage stuff most of which isn't suited to the manse. So I was wondering if any of you sick and twisted GMs out there has added to the traps present? Or even if you've thought of some interesting events during the countdown.

Darkshroud said:

During the ticking down of the clock, one encounter in the adventure has a corridor of death in a secret passage. Now this sort of stuff is great fun yet there's not much else unless you consult the Reed Cage stuff most of which isn't suited to the manse. So I was wondering if any of you sick and twisted GMs out there has added to the traps present? Or even if you've thought of some interesting events during the countdown.

Haven't playet it yet. The first thing that comes to mind is a Death Star like trash compactor trap. Or some virulent bio-weapon in gaseous form flooding a sealed room.

Well, I think there is something even more necessary to plot: the reason (or better: the reward) for the pc to crawl around. After all (and I mean after all three adventures) it makes no real difference if the pc go on search hidden ways in Gabriel Chase or if they simply stay put and wait for the time to run out.

Knowing of the hidden ways: rumours
Players who stirr the topic of a conversation "Gabrial Chase" might be told about some mysterious things of the manse, for example it´s hidden ways. Personaly, I suppose others have found these years before (by accident or design) and rumours might have spread. Nobles could have found use of some hidden entrances for "private meetings" of the moral romantic or frivole kind. In the same way, the deadly traps could have been "disccovered".

Knowing of the hidden ways: push it!
Let the pc see somebody they want to follow. Neither Heron Mask nor Jackal Mask. Perhaps they identified a Pilgrim in the crowed by one method or the other. As he leaves the crowd, the pc follow but the location they follow him to is an empty room with a fireplace, armchairs and many and an oil painting. If the pc count two and two together and and pass their difficult search test (which I would say is extended, 10 minutes a test) they will find a hidden entrance (the tried-n-true moveable wall) and will be able to follow the Pilgrim

Benefit: Clearing the hidden ways
As mentioned in the modul itself, the Pilgrim use the hidden ways to prepare their onslaught. If the pc find and dispose some pilgrims (lone or in groups of two and three) they will not be surprised by Pilgrims doing the final hour (which will otherwise add to the panic and carnage by launchinig ambush attacks.

So, now to you original request. Thanks for bearing me so far happy.gif

Deathtrap: The Haarlock Web
Passing through a hidden way, the pc reach what seems to be a door opening to a small room (which lies in utter darkness). If the pc have any light (which they should have!) is covered in reliefs of spiders, each of them the size of a hand with pincer-like mandibles. Pc might grow weary here and search for "openings", like those for poison darts. With a hard (-20) search test they will find one such fingersized opening, but no trigger.
GM Note: In fact, this is not a trigger but a safe mechanismen. If one sticks his finger into the whole, he will feel a needle. If the pc pricks himself, a bloodsample will be obtained. If it contains genetic material of the Haarlock line, all the spider eyes in the relief in the door and the room will glow green and the following trap is disabled.

At the other site of the doorway, there is a small room which walls, floor and ceiling is covered in dust and spider reliefs as well. In the middle, their is a statue of dark marble of a women and girl, holding each other in tears and grief. At the socket, there is an inscrition (which is to fine to be read from afar) and in the darkness one can see two other doorways.
Those pc armed with an auspex an mind to use it might recognize the sonar impulses of a motion detection system (Tech-Use -10 if just looking for "something odd" or +30 if looking for exactly that). Pc looking for tell-tale signs might find many small, round openings under the elaborate reliefs with a very hard (-30) Search test. The trap will activate as soon as somebody moves away from the center (leaving the room).

From many a small opening, something shoots at the pc. Allow them hard(-20) Dodge test if they moved with a careful eye for traps. Otherwise, they will be hit automatically. The characters have been hit with a webbing similiar but superior to that of a webber pistole. Pc whom are hit are taken from their feet and will be immobelized. The webbing ensnares them tight .They can try to break free with Strenght(-10) or Agility/Contortionist(-10). Any failed attempt hightens the difficulty by one step. After reaching -30, a failed test imposes 1d5-1 damage. The webbing will break down after 1d10+3 rounds.
The web can be cut with a mono-weapon, but doing so will place harm on the victim (since the web snarres to tight; 2 rounds and 1 wound)

After the attack, a low rumbling can be heard as some parts of the relief slowly move away to reveal small ducts...
The pc have one round before thirteen hand sized mechanical spiders poor from the duct and try to swarm and kill the pc. Use the profil of teh Arachnae Servitor (p.62 TF) but reduce WS to 25; Wounds to 3; Damage to 1d5 & Pen 1. Treat the Size as Miniscule (-30 to hit; due to size and movement)

Swarming: After the first successfull attack, the mechanical spider crawls over its victim. The next attack will have the DS:+1, which is cumulativ for every round. The spider servitore can be brushed off with a half (Agility+20) or full action (Agility+30; each two further level of success remove an additional spider). If the test fails by at least two levels, the spider servitor bites the hand.

The Inscription says:
To my beloved wife and daugther
Whom were taken by Haarlock blood
Which I will spill to the last drop
I will not turn my face from thee
We will be back together
even if I have to conquer hell for this 

Deathtrap: the Spider-Sword
The pc find a hidden room (accesable through a secret door or through the hidden ways; up to the GM). The room contains a number of old and now nearly crombling oil painting. Each of them once featred the portrait of a Lord or a Lady, but all have been slashed. In the middle of a room is a  stand containg a  finely crafte powersword which hilt and basket have the form of a spider, with the legs forming the basket.

The sword is of best quality and the blade is made of an unknown jade-green metal (which does not count as primitive but has the toxic quality and is bypassing any energy field or shield). But the weapon is not an energy weapon, although it looks the part. If the "energy field" is activated, the a small blade will deliver a venom to the user of the weapon. He will be stunned until his next turn and gain a level of fatigue. For the next 10 rounds, the pc will have to pass difficult toughness tests. If failed, the pc loses 1d5 point of Toughness plus one point for every level of failure. If not fatal, the loss is temporary.

I thought  I might see something posted from you Gregorius, I've always admired the encounters you knock together.  I can see me using both of those. :) Laughing Gods trash compacter thing I had half thought of so I might do something Haarlocky with that.

As for the reason to enter I had already considered some sort of hidden room with lot's of info on Haarlock, perhaps even a journal or something.

Of course all this is dependant on them actually getting to Part 3. They seem to side reeled horribly wit half the party on an obsessed quest to track down their old gear.

The following are in all honesty inspired by http://hubpages.com/hub/101rpgtrapsandchallenges

[strains of Death]
The pc enter a long and small corridor that seems to connect to hidden areas with each other. It must be near a wall, since the pc can hear the muffled sounds of the ongoing revel inside of Gabrial Chase.  As the pc reach the middle, one of the ceramic panels covering the floor suddenly gives a little under the foot of the acolyth moving first. With an easy(+30) Awareness/Perception test based on Hearing, the pc will hear the sound of many hard and small metal objects falling to ground. Two level of success tells them that that the must have been puncturing the floor.  If the pc have a light source, a challinging sight base test for Perception/Alertness allows the pc to recognize the small darts now which are now dotting the floor before and behind them, but althoug the faint simmering in the air which indicates hair fine wires or cables for which they function as a weight. The wires/cables are mono-wire (Ordinary test for Common Lore (Tech). The pc can try to pass the wires with a very hard test for Contortionist. If they fail, it is 1d10 damage plus one level of failure. The wire has DS:3 and is not "primitive". Pc with good tools might be able actuall pull the darts out of the floor, since a little peace of each is still sticking out. This will take 15 minutes (+/- one minute for every levef of success/failure on an challinging test for Dexterity).

What the pc do not know is that somewhere down the corridor a part of the wall shifted back and an acient gun servitor with a needle rifle with very painful death is coming there way. It is in bad shape, so it will take 5 minutes to reach them...

[Age of Entry]
The room/corridor has an ornated door, the plating of floor and ceiling in front of it is crystaline in nature..and glowing in a soft orange hue. The look is byzantine, but obviously connected to something else. The pc will not have the key (unless you rule it is the silver key from Dust&Ash). If they fumble with the lock, they will need to pass a difficult (-10) security test.
Once anything touches the door, so, the crystal panels bright and the air ripples. Those inside the field do not perceive the ripples, but hear things like under water. The field causes rapid aging. Each round after the first, pc inside the field (1m x 1m) lose one point of toughness permanently (unless getting an anti-aging-treatment).

The ever popular Wall of Directional Mines. It was meant to go off all at once to wipe out intruders in this hallway when the door got locked down, but it looks like the wiring was shoddy...and now somebody is triggering them manually as the door slowly closes. Of coure, if you all travel towards the door as a big group, you know which mine is going to get blown next, but if you don't get out in time, the door locks down...and the firing ports at the end of the hallway open up.Simple, and lets you save the arcane stuff for the really nasty traps.

Classic traps:

A concealed pit (difficult test for Search to find the trap) goes a long way. Make the fall as deep as you want. Instead of spiking the floor, it could be covered with some gue. The "gue" turns out to be a dormant blobb-creature which went out of hybernation after something fell into it. Forbidden Lore (Xenos) might even identify it as a Gluvorer from the World Enchemyral (or something). Normally, this simple beast will acid-burrow itself away under the surface and stay there. Once in place it will hybernate until the ground above collapses from the wait of something heavy enough to be a suiting prey. The creature is sticky while dormant, so the pc will be need an ordinary strength test to get out. This will change after 1d5+1 rounds as the creature gets back to life. It will form pseudopos and will turn from sticky to corrosive (with two rounds being ..well, nothing of it!). The corrosive will deal 1d10 points of damage each round and it will be able to pseudobod-grabble as long as the victim climbed out of the pit (perhaps 5m deep?). TB does not count. Armour will not protect but be eaten away (Primitive armour will be destroyed on a 2 damage-1AP basis, non-primitive will have a 5-1 basis.  Actually lying in the Gluvorer will inflict 1d5 hits to different body locations (NOT the head! Everybody keeps his head up!). If the Gluvorer wins a grabble...well, it pulls the victim down again.

Suggestion: WS: 36;  Strength: 36; Wounds: 20; From Beyound; Strange Physiology.

If the floor has tiling, a foot trap might be nice. The tile breaks, the foot and leg sink in...and push aside some downward-pointing blades that will reposition themselves and then rest against the foot..facing down. Pull the leg up and you cut yourself (1d5+2 mono damage to the leg; DS:2). After the pc learns through pain, he/she could find something small to push the blades down (what the foot did upon entry) in order to be able to treat the foot savely.

The trap could be found on a challenging hearing based Search test (knocking on the tile sounds hollow), the blades will be felt before movement on an ordinary feeling based test for Awareness.

Pullinig some levers in a corridor (actuall, not levers but heads of other members of the Haarlock line...to be "downed" in the order of their death by the hands of Erasmus Haarlock) will disable the automatic lasguns hidden in the mouthes of of some more elaborate maws of some fiendish gargoyles.
Sight-based Perception test will reveal the lasguns, checks for Scholastic Lore (Legend) will reveal the order of the kills. Passing the gargolyes will reveal.... ?

One final word: Do not overdue it with the traps. Unless, you want to litter the hidden ways with corpses of the Pilgrims. Which (after all) went there first!

It looks like my players will be going to Gabriel Chase next session, so here's something I came up with to replace the Striking of the Tenth Hour, which I thought was fairly boring.

Shortly before the 10 O'Clock, the acolytes encounter some Pilgrims in the secret tunnels who flee rather than fight. If followed, they will run to a dead end in a large circular room encircled by closed doors and featuring three concentric rings of brass on the floor.
Several rounds of combat may occur in the room before the hour strikes, but when it does, the open door shuts with a mechanical click, and the other doors open to reveal a legion of masked and costumed men and women who march out in pairs and take positions in the room. Further inspection will reveal that they are clockwork automatons, and they pay no attention to the acolytes nor the pilgrims.
Once the dancers have taken their places, the concentric rings on the floor begin to rotate, the outer and the inner moving clockwise, the one between moving anti-clockwise. They rotate 90° each turn in their respective directions. At the same time, music akin to that of a music box begins to play.

Obviously this is going to be pretty confusing, and the acolytes may lose sight of their prey during this. Cunning foes such as Redjacks may attempt to ambush the the acolytes by pretending to be dancers until the rings carry them within striking distance.

Perception tests to spot enemies and agility tests to remain standing on the spinning rings should probably abound.  Witches with Telekinetic or mind control powers would probably be hilarious. Rolling grenades could end up ANYWHERE.