Sign in to follow this  
alboy

Graveyard encounter

The Graveyard encounter that says, you find a half-buried corpse, draw a monster from the cup and take it as a trophy. I drew Wizard Whateley, can you take it as a trophy as it says If you pass a combat check, return him to the box. From reading this l get the impression he was not supposed to be taken as a trophy. Can you take him as a trophy?

I completely agree with zealot, you can take him as a throphy. In this particular situation you didn't have to pass a combat check (so you're not entitled to draw a spell and put him back into the box), you didn't have to fight him so you just get the monster token as a throphy.

Yep, we talked about a similar issue not too a long time ago in a topic regarding William Yorrick starting possessions. Tibs said - if I remember correctly - that whenever you're instructed to draw a monster and claim it as a trophy, you take it, and that's all. He said (correct me if I'm wrong) something like "you've simply found the corpse. Someone else has done the dirty job, and obtained the reward" (the spell, in the case of Whateley)

Yeah, I believe that I'd probably said that. Also note that against Rhan-Tegoth, if your drawn trophy is a Cultist, Rhan's power activates and you draw again. Let's hope you don't get a chain of cultists...

Thanks to everyone for their input, l have another question about this, if you trade in Whateley as a  trophy do you  place Whateley back in the box or in the cup.

alboy said:

Thanks to everyone for their input, l have another question about this, if you trade in Whateley as a  trophy do you  place Whateley back in the box or in the cup.

I'd say you return his corpse / token to the cup. The condition for returning him to the box is passing a combat check against him. If you exchange his trophy for something else, this condition is not met. So, back to the cup. Or, at least, this is the way I'd have played this