Sign in to follow this  
Julia

Troubles with a Kingsport OW card

Hi everybody,

I went nuts trying to understand what this card implies. I'm referring to the Other encounter. It states "while you have it [this card], during Upkleep, you must discard...". It's a bad card. How on Earth may I get rid of it? The sentence "while you have it", should imply there is a chance not to have it forever, but how can I succeed in this task?

Bihor said:

Gate burst take out elder sings. So if there is 3 elder signs you discard the card.

I must respectfully disagree.  The card says "If there are four or more Elder Sign tokens, take this card"; it never says anything about discarding the card if at some future point there are less than four Elder Signs.

As Julia hoped, however, there is a way to get rid of this foul penalty; if the character who has the card is devoured, you discard the carddemonio.gif .  

Solan said:

I must respectfully disagree.  The card says "If there are four or more Elder Sign tokens, take this card"; it never says anything about discarding the card if at some future point there are less than four Elder Signs.

As Julia hoped, however, there is a way to get rid of this foul penalty; if the character who has the card is devoured, you discard the carddemonio.gif .  

Yeah, Solan, that's my point: the stated condition refers to the moment you take the card, and that's all. You're right saying that, once devoured, you don't have to be bothered any longer by this card; however I hope they had forgotten something and there is a chance to get rid of it without being devoured (and logic should imply that so it is, since the only things carried over after being devoured are the trophies, and thus the wording "while this card is in play" is a little redundant if the solution is being devoured).

I'd follow it to the letter. There were four when you drew the card, and that's all that was important. When a seal is burst, then that really sucks for you because you're getting the worst of both situations but that's the story.

Maybe a future expansion will have a tome or something that lets you get rid of unwanted cards.  Of course, if there were such a card, I bet a lot of people would remove it from the game on general principle.  

Tibs said:

I'd follow it to the letter. There were four when you drew the card, and that's all that was important. When a seal is burst, then that really sucks for you because you're getting the worst of both situations but that's the story.

Yep, this is the way we played it, but nonetheless, I do not understand why it's written "while this card is in play". It has no sense, to me at least. It should be worded "if there are... take this card. Since now on, during every Upkeep, discard... if able". There are other cards similar to this one, but all of them have a discarding condition specified

It means, "as long as you hold this card." Assumedly, you hold it until either you're devoured or retired, or if it has a discard condition. It doesn't appear to, so that might be there just as a technical failsafe in case some future effect were to make you discard such cards.

There is a discard effect...

In the French version, there is the same text than the image you shown and the it's written: (i'm translating, so, sorry for bad wording)

... if you have either. Put a Clue token on that card for each Object or Clue you discarded. Put this card back in the box when there is 3 Clue token on it.

Hugues said:

In the French version, there is the same text than the image you shown and the it's written: (i'm translating, so, sorry for bad wording)

... if you have either. Put a Clue token on that card for each Object or Clue you discarded. Put this card back in the box when there is 3 Clue token on it.

This seems to me to have a lot more sense... even if considering that, while translating a game, translators do refer to files sent by FFG (and hopefully do not invent any possible missing part), so maybe something went wrong and we have a pressing mistake on the English edition. Thank you for pointing this out, Hugues

@Tibs: would you mind asking this in the FAQ? I take your point, but... considering that the French version is different from the English one (and the French card has more sense), I think it's a legitimate doubt

Hugues said:

You're welcome.

I read this topic since the beginning and i was thinking the same thing than you ("Pretty harsh"). And then suddenly i got the idea to check mine :)

Great idea :-)

Boy, I hope that's not a "font size" issue.  The French translation needed a few more lines to get in all the words, so they used a smaller font, while the Americans used the same font they always do, and in order to keep that font, they decided to drop the last couple of sentences instead.  "These don't matter, right?  It's just flavor text, I'm sure."

? ? ? ? ?

Or maybe it's because americans rules and french sucks at AH so they need some help ;o)

(I remind i'm French, it's just pure joke)

Or maybe they just screwed it up... And which makes me wondering... Could it be that some other cards have the same problem?

There probably are some cards that have the same ''issue'', though I haven't found any of them yet...

What about translations? Anyone ever compared the original (English) cards with a foreign version of the same cards? At the moment Arkham Horror is translated in eight languages (Spanish, German, French, Russian, Polish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese)? We actually might be in for a surprise if there are more cards that are translated different (add or leave some rules).

Hugues said:

Aw.  I kind of like the super evil American version.  I thought FFG did it on purpose to keep us scared.

Golivier said:

There probably are some cards that have the same ''issue'', though I haven't found any of them yet...

What about translations? Anyone ever compared the original (English) cards with a foreign version of the same cards? At the moment Arkham Horror is translated in eight languages (Spanish, German, French, Russian, Polish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese)? We actually might be in for a surprise if there are more cards that are translated different (add or leave some rules).

I checked with the french wiki, and i know there are somme errors in the french version. For example, in the Curiositie Shop, Dunwich extension, there is no occurrence of the fortune cookie. But i have three times "The shopkeeper eyes one of your possessions".

But i haven't check everything yet. It's a big stuff to do.

Hugues said:

Or maybe they just screwed it up... And which makes me wondering... Could it be that some other cards have the same problem?

In the Spanish version of the Innsmouth Horror... one encounter card from Rivertown had the same problem: last two/three lines missing.