Sign in to follow this  
Scydow

Starting in a few days.

Hello, this is my first post here and I would like some more information about the expansions of the game.

I recently purchased my first Warhammer Fantasy set ( the Core Set ) and I really like it, the art and the detail is very amazing.
But after we start the campaign in the Tome of Adventure, we are ready to start a new adventure.

What is a good book/set to start with after the core? 

Go right to The Gathering Storm or Edge of Night. The Oldenhaller Contract is also available as a free download and would also be a good start:  www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/wfrp/media/oldenhaller-contract.pdf

I also wrote a scenario:  gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/emirikol7/

What characters are in your group?

jh

Well, we haven't started yet in this 3rd version.

We played the second edition for a while and although I am missing the percentile dice, this new version seems very nice, we can't wait.
But what about the creature and player vaults and all that stuff? Is it really that nice to have?

And what about advance careers? Cause I only spotted a couple in the core set.

Thank you so far, your campaign looks fun to play :)

Scydow said:

Well, we haven't started yet in this 3rd version. We played the second edition for a while and although I am missing the percentile dice, this new version seems very nice, we can't wait. But what about the creature and player vaults and all that stuff? Is it really that nice to have?

If you have the Core boxed, set that's all you need to start the game (and also download Universal Head's rule summary from Gitzman's site to give one to each of your players).  The players guides would be nice to hand around the table for rules, but you don't absolutely need them yet.

Here's the deal with the advanced careers:

*  In 2nd edition they were the only way to really advance characters "upwards."  In 3e, they're not really even necessary because you can take any basic career, throw one more talent slot on the side (relevant) and call it whatever you want.  There are other/additional careers and advanced careers that have been released, but they're not necessary.

STARTING ADVENTURE

It's actually better to train your players on the DEMO scenario to get a feel for the rules. DON'T have them use the pregen characters though.  Have them make their own characters.  If they have ownership of the characters, they are more likely to carry interest towards the upcoming scenarios.

Jay H

Emirikol said:

Scydow said:

Well, we haven't started yet in this 3rd version. We played the second edition for a while and although I am missing the percentile dice, this new version seems very nice, we can't wait. But what about the creature and player vaults and all that stuff? Is it really that nice to have?

If you have the Core boxed, set that's all you need to start the game (and also download Universal Head's rule summary from Gitzman's site to give one to each of your players).  The players guides would be nice to hand around the table for rules, but you don't absolutely need them yet.

*  In 2nd edition they were the only way to really advance characters "upwards."  In 3e, they're not really even necessary because you can take any basic career, throw one more talent slot on the side (relevant) and call it whatever you want.  There are other/additional careers and advanced careers that have been released, but they're not necessary.

STARTING ADVENTURE

It's actually better to train your players on the DEMO scenario to get a feel for the rules. DON'T have them use the pregen characters though.  Have them make their own characters.  If they have ownership of the characters, they are more likely to carry interest towards the upcoming scenarios.

Jay H

Thanks so much, you have helped me a great deal.

Emirikol said:

*  In 2nd edition they were the only way to really advance characters "upwards."  In 3e, they're not really even necessary because you can take any basic career, throw one more talent slot on the side (relevant) and call it whatever you want.  There are other/additional careers and advanced careers that have been released, but they're not necessary.Jay H

I'm going to GM my first WHFRP game next week, so this topic is of particular interest to me.

My group would like to play Witch Hunters, or at least one WItch Hunter and his/her assistants. There is a Witch Hunter advanced career card. Can one of my players go straight into using that career, without fiddling with stats? What about a mixed group of some people with advanced character classes and others with basic ones? Is it tough to balance encounters for a mixed party?

Thanks!

While some careers may be slightly better than others, it's the amount of experience points they have that really matters, not the career the character is in.   If you as GM want to have a player start as a witch hunter, there's no reason it should cause a problem, as long as the other players (whether they're playing advanced or basic careers) feel like they're playing something interesting, and not being penalised.

The main advantage I feel of splitting basic careers from advanced is to help add theme (which you've basically got).   It encourages the players to think of themselves as poor, downtrodden, unlucky and discontented people who (unlike nearly everyone else) are not prepared to just put up with the daily grind.   Instead, they embark upon a life of adventure (and face a much harder grind!).   Obviously if everyone starts as privileged characters, merchants, which hunters, wizards etc then that effect is lessened somewhat.

I guess the other reason is that it doesn't generally matter if someone is bad at a basic career (i.e. they have no experience spent on the character).   But 'advanced' careers are less believable if they're incompetent at all of their core skills due to lack of experience.   But that shouldn't mean that there can be no rubbish which hunters, if you want to tell the story of one.

You won't have any rules breakage by starting any character in an advanced career.  They will be slightly more powerful simply because of the third talent slot option.  To balance, you could say that he can't access one of them until he gains 5 ranks or something.

Not all Witch Hunters are badass.  Some are studious, "apprentices," usless due to their overwhelming zeal or insanties or simply incompetant.

There's typically too much stereotyping of Witch Hunters so break the mold and have a blast!

jh

Thank you for the advice, everyone. I like the idea of a less experienced set of Witch Hunters perhaps a group dispatched for rumors deemed a minor threat. Since we're new to the game it makes sense to have characters new to their jobs.

And of course you could always go the standard route and have the Witch Hunter be a Zealot or Bounty Hunter or something similar in the beginning and them let him earn his Pistols, Hat & Coat in the course of the first adventure… but I think starting out with the witch hunter career card is perfectly feasible (the only downside being that the character might have less of a goal to strive for)