Sign in to follow this  
xdarkwulfx

Question on Biolightning.

A very simple question that a quick search did not answer..

Biolightning is lightning yes?

Thus.. shouldn't it deal "shocking" damage? Causing the person to roll toughness to see if they are stunned?

It doesn't say so.. but.. it doesn't make any sense for it not to. ^_^

In our games we've used the names as a reference to what the basic knowledge of the power is, as catalogued on the whole, but we're (as players) allowed to change small facts about How the power manifests for us in game.

For Example, when my psyker uses his Force Barrage and anything over half his power rating other people can physically see waves of energy like water ripples coming from the guys hands & head and striking the target down.

As opposed to the catalogued version of "unseen hands strike at the target".

We've allowed for some flavour in our game (we do like it a bit more cinematic feel and less tied fast and hard to the rules)

If you as your ref nicely he might allow it to go from one Crit type to another Crit type.

My ref, and myself who runs games would happily say yes at such a suggestion.

Oh, I am the game-master actually.

I was just curious as to whether or not anyone was having it do "shocking" damage or not, since it doesn't specify that it does.

I am currently just treating as if it does and anyone hit with it has to roll the toughness check or be stunned.  Though I am not sure if I want to continue doing so.

Well, in that case all the Pyromancy powers should naturally require tests to avoid being on fire. Which I really wouldn't do, since being on fire is so much worse than testing for stunning.

You'll just have to accept that you can't fix everything in a game setting to make it more logical. Why is it better to fight with two pistols rather than one? Why do you get a bigger bonus to BS with a full burst, when everyone knows short bursts are better? Why are Disguise tests based on Fellowship? Why are hacking tests based on Agility? And so forth.

Well, I can understand a few of the things. Obviously if you have a low fellowship, you don't get along with people and lack social skills, so it would be hard to pretend to be another person compared to someone with a lot of charm and what not.

As for hacking, I didn't know it required agility, though I suppose it makes some sense. It would honestly be a dual test to me, intelligence and speed. Depending on the complexity of what you are hacking, you may only have seconds to change a vital piece of code before you are caught or the data changes.

As for the BS test, that is less logical, but you can stretch it to fit the truth. Since your basic BS skill is simply how good you are at using the weapon, the bonus comes not in the actual ability to shoot or improvement on aiming, but instead the sheer amount of rounds flying at the enemy. Since aiming is a seperate action altogether you can suppose that your characters are just firing at the hip, so it makes sense that more bullets equals more ability to hit something.

What doesn't make sense is being unable to use semi-auto fire with aim in a single turn. ^_^

Bilateralrope said:

Nihilius said:

Theoretically I suppose, but note that e.g. Fire Bolt doesn't require a test for catching fire either.

Have a look at the top of the pyromancy section. All pyromancy powers that inflict damage may ignite the target.

Oops, joke's on me :/

My general point still stands of course, you can't make everything logical in a game. Or well, you can try...but have fun rewriting most of the rules.

xdarkwulfx said:

Well, I can understand a few of the things. Obviously if you have a low fellowship, you don't get along with people and lack social skills, so it would be hard to pretend to be another person compared to someone with a lot of charm and what not.

As for hacking, I didn't know it required agility, though I suppose it makes some sense. It would honestly be a dual test to me, intelligence and speed. Depending on the complexity of what you are hacking, you may only have seconds to change a vital piece of code before you are caught or the data changes.

As for the BS test, that is less logical, but you can stretch it to fit the truth. Since your basic BS skill is simply how good you are at using the weapon, the bonus comes not in the actual ability to shoot or improvement on aiming, but instead the sheer amount of rounds flying at the enemy. Since aiming is a seperate action altogether you can suppose that your characters are just firing at the hip, so it makes sense that more bullets equals more ability to hit something.

What doesn't make sense is being unable to use semi-auto fire with aim in a single turn. ^_^

Seriously, hacking has nothing to do with Agility. How many nerdy guys who can type 600+ characters per min do you think are athletic geniuses? Not many, the correlation is non-existent.

Btw, Disguise is for the physical aspects of the disguise - make-up, clothing and so forth. You're thinking of Deceive, which is naturally based on Fel.

Let's not get into the gun thing ;)

Nihilius said:

Seriously, hacking has nothing to do with Agility.

This is true in-game as well. Obtaining information from, or operating something connected to a cogitator would be a Tech-Use Test, which is based on Intelligence. Bypassing a mechanical lock is a Security Test (based on Agility, because it requires manual dexterity), but that doesn't cover electronic locks.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Nihilius said:

Seriously, hacking has nothing to do with Agility.

This is true in-game as well. Obtaining information from, or operating something connected to a cogitator would be a Tech-Use Test, which is based on Intelligence. Bypassing a mechanical lock is a Security Test (based on Agility, because it requires manual dexterity), but that doesn't cover electronic locks.

Funny you should say that. We recently had a discussion in my group on what skill should be used for hacking, Tech-Use or Security. Based on the descriptions in the core book and Inquisitor's Handbook, I'd personally say that Security is definitely the skill to use. "Security is used to bypass locks of all types and circumvent tough security systems to get into well-protected locations. You can also use Security to take control of security systems so they work for you instead of the original owner." Bypassing a "security system" and general security measures designed to keep hackers out is logically pretty much the same thing.

The description of Tech-Use doesn't really lead one to believe it should be used for hacking imo. But anyway, it's definitely the logical skill to use, which is what we ruled. Based on the RAW though, I'd say it's Security. 

Which once again has little do with the OP ;)

Nihilius said:

Funny you should say that. We recently had a discussion in my group on what skill should be used for hacking, Tech-Use or Security. Based on the descriptions in the core book and Inquisitor's Handbook, I'd personally say that Security is definitely the skill to use. "Security is used to bypass locks of all types and circumvent tough security systems to get into well-protected locations. You can also use Security to take control of security systems so they work for you instead of the original owner." Bypassing a "security system" and general security measures designed to keep hackers out is logically pretty much the same thing.

The description of Tech-Use doesn't really lead one to believe it should be used for hacking imo. But anyway, it's definitely the logical skill to use, which is what we ruled. Based on the RAW though, I'd say it's Security. 

Which once again has little do with the OP ;)

IIRC the Deathwatch rulebook described the Security skill as being applicable only in regard to mechanical locks instead of electronic ones (where you would need Tech-Use). Not sure though...

Luthor Harkon said:

IIRC the Deathwatch rulebook described the Security skill as being applicable only in regard to mechanical locks instead of electronic ones (where you would need Tech-Use). Not sure though...

That's a very weird change imo. What character with shady motives who wants to learn how to break into places would only focus on mechanical locks in the year 40k? I'd imagine most medium to high security places would indeed have electronic locks.