Sign in to follow this  
larryhoteep

Range attacks!

Hello, 

I have a small question about ranged attacks. Is there a rule for attacking a character with a range attack? I thought of adding 1 missfortune die per  engaged adversary.

Your thoughts?

thanks

I feel like ranged weapons are already balanced with the assumption that characters are going to be shooting into melee (unless, of course, they're using a blunderbuss).  Rather than adding a penalty, why not adopt the following rule if you want to preserve some of the danger of shooting into a melee:

When the attack misses and generates a chaos star, deal normal damage to an ally in the same engagement as the target.

Check out the Threading a Needle action card.

That is a special action that allows/requires shooting into a melee for some special options on the card. Its difficulty is 2 black dice.

If you let other ranged actions shoot into melee without considering adding a difficulty for doing so, you may lessen the value of players buying threading a needle

In our group we add 1 extra purple dice as standard (unless using an action that specifically allows or requires it) plus some black dice depending on the ratio of enemies to allies in the engagement.

In our game, shooting an adversary with an ally in the same engagement doesn't modifiy the odd. But if you get a chaos star, the ally is hit.

Range attack have a max range given by the weapon you use. I often add 1 Misfortune dice per range above close range. That balances the fact that range weapons make quite as much damage as the melee weapons.