Sign in to follow this  
FFG_Sam Stewart

Rogue Trader Adventure Contest Winner Announced

For those of you not certain what that part about GW's submission policy means, I'll put it in a nutshell:

GW owns everything you host or post on this site.  Forever.  Without having to pay for it or recompense you in any way, or even name you as the original author.

This is why I did not submit.

I'd like to first off congratulate Mr. Burrows for his winning submission and Mr. Sinisalo for also placing as a finalist and thank Fantasy Flight for taking the time and effort to host this competition.  It was a lot of fun to put my own submission together and I hope you all enjoy running, playing, or just picking over A Throne Forged of Iron.  I'm always looking to improve my own work so if anyone has comments, questions, or feedback I'd love to discuss them with you.

BaronIveagh said:

GW owns everything you host or post on this site.  Forever.  Without having to pay for it or recompense you in any way, or even name you as the original author.

And yet you're happy to post on the forums? The winner is compensated with a free, signed copy of Edge of the Abyss and having the fluff of their world added to the official canon of the Koronus Expanse. 

Errant said:

BaronIveagh said:

And yet you're happy to post on the forums? The winner is compensated with a free, signed copy of Edge of the Abyss and having the fluff of their world added to the official canon of the Koronus Expanse. 

Might want to read that winning announcment again:

"This content is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited."

So much for being canon.

And If they want to claim ownership of me pointing these thigns out, that's fine.  I would like FFG to remove all material I posted here before this was announced though.  It was not part of the user agreement I agreed to that GW own any content I have authored, nor have I granted FFG any such exclusive rights.  (As most of my work was previously published elsewhere anyway, they might find a real legal hassel on thier hands if they were to make such a claim) 

GW canon isn't the same as FFG canon. They were granted the 40K licence on the proviso that their IP not intersect directly with the galaxy at large; that being the reason why we have the Calixis Sector, Koronus Expanse and Jericho Reach instead of more developed areas.

Errant said:

GW canon isn't the same as FFG canon. They were granted the 40K licence on the proviso that their IP not intersect directly with the galaxy at large; that being the reason why we have the Calixis Sector, Koronus Expanse and Jericho Reach instead of more developed areas.

*sigh* GW's the one that owns all the material people submitted now.  Not bad for a $30 book and a pat on the head. 

It's not even that original of a scam.   Back in 2002, WotC promised $30,000 and made part of D&D canon to the winners of a contest.  They gave it all to an ex employee of theirs who was 'fired' the week before the contest was announced and rehired as a freelancer once it was over.  11,000 entries, and the best part was they only had to pay a guy they would have paid anyway.

The Origins Award should have wept blood when he touched it. 

BaronIveagh said:

It's not even that original of a scam. Back in 2002, WotC promised $30,000 and made part of D&D canon to the winners of a contest. They gave it all to an ex employee of theirs who was 'fired' the week before the contest was announced and rehired as a freelancer once it was over. 11,000 entries, and the best part was they only had to pay a guy they would have paid anyway.

The Origins Award should have wept blood when he touched it.

[Citation needed]

BaronIveagh said:

GW owns everything you host or post on this site. Forever. Without having to pay for it or recompense you in any way, or even name you as the original author.

I wouldn't worry about that. A transfer of copyright requires a written and signed contract. I doubt that a ToS will do. (IANAL etc.)

("A transfer of copyright ownership, other than by operation of law, is not valid unless an instrument of conveyance, or a note or memorandum of the transfer, is in writing and signed by the owner of the rights conveyed or such owner's duly authorized agent." http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html#204 )

The rules for granting a nonexclusive license ("you may use this", as opposed to "you may now decide who gets you use this") are less strict though.

Anyway, this all seems off topic to me. 

Congrats to the winner and finalists.

As I submitted Fall From Grace to the contest, I must say... curse you, Burrows! Now I must buy Edge of the Abyss! happy.gif

In all seriousness, hearty congratulations to Mr. Burrows for a well-deserved victory and to fellow finalist Mr. Brailas. Both the Glass Key and Throne Forged in Iron look very good - I'll be sure to read them thoroughly and if the opportunity arises, run them for my gaming group.

If someone wants to post a comment on Fall From Grace, there seems to be a thread for it already in the RT Game Masters' forum.

Iku Rex said:

[Citation needed]

Highly distorted version of Eberron's origin.

In 2002, WotC had open submissions for a new setting alongside Grewhawk and the Forgotten Realms.  WotC purchased three of the submissions, including freelancer Keith Baker's Eberron setting.  Some people thought it was "unfair" that submissions from profesional writers were considered in the "competition" for some reason.  Keith was never an employee of WotC, and was an active freelancer at the time. 

BaronIveagh said:

For those of you not certain what that part about GW's submission policy means, I'll put it in a nutshell:

Heh, what does it matter? You can't get money of anything that includes GW material anyway. Sure, it sucks that they don't have to name you as the author but that's it. Otherwise there are only benefits to posting here. With D&D that's something completely different because of the Open Gaming License. You are allowed to publish anything as long as it doesn't use things that aren't under the OGL (like a few monsters and classes) and make money of it, so giving stuff to them for free is madness.gran_risa.gif

Hey GW, FFG feel free to use anything I ever posted. Since it was designed for the 40K setting, its not like I could use it anywhere else anyways.

What am I going to do? Create my own line of Space Marine models and codices and sell them for a profit?

As surely as Kaladas Ravensbane has no clue to the exact meanings of his family Warrant of Trade, I too do not read the fine print!

Congrats to winner.

Heck it, through Warp Rift - the Battlefleet Gothic Online Fanzine - I (dictator/master chief/editor) and all the contributors (non-paid fans) kept the game alive during several years of complete official/development absence.

All for free. All for the game. Mind you FFG is really cool towards fans/people in the game. GW never sent me a thank you. haha.

And as above, all my BFG supplements (Starblade, Project Distant Darkness, the Art of Command, Distant Sun, Khareshi Expanse) all thrive on the GW 40k IP. So, I am glad they created it to let my creativity flow.

MR Innes said:

Iku Rex said:

[Citation needed]

Highly distorted version of Eberron's origin.

In 2002, WotC had open submissions for a new setting alongside Grewhawk and the Forgotten Realms.  WotC purchased three of the submissions, including freelancer Keith Baker's Eberron setting.  Some people thought it was "unfair" that submissions from profesional writers were considered in the "competition" for some reason.  Keith was never an employee of WotC, and was an active freelancer at the time. 

Distorted my ass.  Since then fifteen people have come forward at different points and reported how it was a sham set up by Scott Rouse

Iku: do you think any of the writers have the werewithall to withstand a suit by GW even if they're eventually found to be in the right?

Peacekeeper: can't pass up an opportunity to troll me, can you?  

Bluntly: there's very little in most of these adventures that can't be used with very few changes in other IPs.  Hell, if say, the authors of Throne Forge of Iron wished to use the world as a setting of a non-40k novel at a later date but still use the culture and geography of that planet, assuming that Sam and GW's assertions are held to be valid by a court of law, they can't, as that world, culture, and geography, now belong to GW.  Under the agreement with FFG that the submitters agreed to, they would still have the right to do this.

Congratulations to the winner! The shortlisted adventures put my submission to shame! This was the first time I tried anything of the kind and I learnt just how hard it was to put it toghether, especially keeping the adventure to less than 8000 words which is hard, but it does make you aware of how you tend to 'bloat' the narrative through needless repetition. I was still finding errors after I submitted it which made me scream. My initial seven cities were reduced to three, I had to a rival daemon Prince and a host of other NPC's and some nice vehicle rules I had created, just to squeeze in the basic story (a tithe collection against the odds on a jungle moon).

What really amazed me about the finalists was the crisp layout (which I found challenging) and the amazing illustrations. Alas I can sketch, but not the extent of the shortlisted contributions which gives it a professional outlook beyond what I could have ever achieved. Time to find me an artist!

For my part I preferred the Fall from Grace contribution...but it would have been hard to judge between them a they were all equally as good. Will simply have to raise my game the following year!

In the immortal words of the baddie from Inspector Gadget

"NEXT TIME FFG! NEXT TIME"

BaronIveagh said:

Peacekeeper: can't pass up an opportunity to troll me, can you?  

Incorrect. Its a internet forum, nothing is ever personal.

You posted why you were no longer posting anything you create yourself and wanted anything you posted removed. I posted that I didnt care if anything I posted was used and posted why. Its called a response to a previous statement.

Me trolling would have been something personal and in all purposes an attack, such as "Peacekeeper: Can't pass up an opportunity to troll me, can you?" or some other such nonsense.

But thanks for playing.

BaronIveagh said:

Bluntly: there's very little in most of these adventures that can't be used with very few changes in other IPs.  Hell, if say, the authors of Throne Forge of Iron wished to use the world as a setting of a non-40k novel at a later date but still use the culture and geography of that planet, assuming that Sam and GW's assertions are held to be valid by a court of law, they can't, as that world, culture, and geography, now belong to GW.  Under the agreement with FFG that the submitters agreed to, they would still have the right to do this.

Well, I think a closer-to-home concern would be FFG people picking up on your ideas, rewriting them into a commercial product and making actual money with your work. But then again, if either of the scenarios were to take place it would be a massive shot in the foot of FFG, not to mention loss of face. So I am not too worried about either.

Alex