Sign in to follow this  
larryhoteep

Beastmen speech

From the Tome of Corruption p110:

Dark Tongue and Beast Tongue:

The Beastmen, much like the Skaven, speak a modified (debased) version of the Dark Tongue. They blend a crude version of the Black Speech with body language, grunts, clicks and so on. The Beast Tongue, as it is called, sounds more like random noise than language but can be used to express a wide variety of thoughts on any number of subjects. Humans can not speak the Beast Tongue and; "In the rare instances when Beastmen deign to talk with Humans, they use a mix of basic Dark Tongue, body language, and gestures, only descending to Beast Tongue when frustrated, and killing the Human when really frustrated."

Runes of Beast Tongue:

A simplified version of the phonetic runes of the Dark Tongue are used to communicate with other Beastmen through writing. Another, preferred, method is the use of bodily excretions to leave messages for other Beastmen.

regards,

ET

ErrantThought said:

From the Tome of Corruption p110:

Dark Tongue and Beast Tongue:

The Beastmen, much like the Skaven, speak a modified (debased) version of the Dark Tongue. They blend a crude version of the Black Speech with body language, grunts, clicks and so on. The Beast Tongue, as it is called, sounds more like random noise than language but can be used to express a wide variety of thoughts on any number of subjects. Humans can not speak the Beast Tongue and; "In the rare instances when Beastmen deign to talk with Humans, they use a mix of basic Dark Tongue, body language, and gestures, only descending to Beast Tongue when frustrated, and killing the Human when really frustrated."

Runes of Beast Tongue:

A simplified version of the phonetic runes of the Dark Tongue are used to communicate with other Beastmen through writing. Another, preferred, method is the use of bodily excretions to leave messages for other Beastmen.

regards,

ET

Thanks a lot. That book is in the winds of magic, right? I'll buy it next week!

LarryHoTeep said:

Thanks a lot. That book is in the winds of magic, right? I'll buy it next week! 

I think that's an out of print book actually, from 2nd edition.   I'm not saying don't get 'Winds of Magic' but don't expect this background to be there!

Yes Angelic Despot is right, the sections I was quoting were from the second edition Tome of Corruption which is out of print, (I am sorry if I was not clear in my first post).

The second edition books are a great source of information on the warhammer world (some are even still in the FFG shop it seems) and admittedly the third edition books are a bit light on "lore". Of course the system is only about a year old so a comparison really is not fair.

Anyway, the Tome of Corruption, might be available from amazon, ebay or the like but I imagine there will be a large pricetag. I dont think that beastman language/chaos language is covered in the winds of magic expansion but I may be wrong. I do not have the books on hand to check, I will look later and let you know (unless someone else knows for sure?).

regards,

ET

Yeah, I consider "Tome Of Corruption", together with "Tome Of Salvation" and "Sigmars Heirs" to be the holy trinity of WFRP fluff books. I really hope FFG manages to produce a similarly large amount of background lore in this version or it'll be a poorer game for it.