Sign in to follow this  
9thimmortal

Days of Ice and Fire - gift bags w/ promos!

I want to add that I really like those cards and deckbox (in opposite to those stupid, useless resin ****).

I hope deckbox is useful (opening, dimensions etc.), it is pretty for sure.

Maybe these can be prizes for tournaments?

its not just those on the otherside of the pond that should be annoyed.

had they announced this sooner it might have induced more travel from those outside the middle of the country

~let the sour grapes begin!!!!!!!  (oh, and I am jealous much)

I personally think it's really cool that FFG is doing stuff like this to bring people to events.  You are right though Lars, this would have been much more effective in attracting people had they announced it sooner.

Still nice of FFG to do.

Lars said:

its not just those on the otherside of the pond that should be annoyed.

had they announced this sooner it might have induced more travel from those outside the middle of the country

QFT.  ~Although, if getting a few pieces of cardboard that you already have makes the difference, you need to look in the mirror.  gran_risa.gif 

There is always the chance they just got the items back from the manufacturer?  Perhaps they didn't want to make promises (considering past printer issues), and thus didn't want to announce the giveaways until they had them in hand?

rings said:

I know this will put our European friends in a tizzy, but I have to pay extra to get a Saab or BMW so there.  lengua.gif

Happy to pay a bit extra to get them, but bar ebay us Europeans don't have any option, and even ebay relies on people who have them deciding to sell.

Looks like it'll be a lot of fun though. Very jealous of anyone getting to go!

Darksbane said:

The art for that deckbox makes me hope for a new Dany card soon...

That was my very first thought. Could possibly be another Daeny supportng Dothrakis. 

By the way, *lol* for presenting black bordered house cards as special items. I guess i will instead take my 5KE house cards, or ITE, or Valyria, or WED or I&F....

That is excellent to know and I will certainly be keeping an eye on the trade page after the event.

Just a heads-up to anybody else going to this event - there will be at least a few of us that can't make it who will want to purchase those promos (at least the house cards in my case), so do head on over to the trade forum if you're interested in selling them.

I'm all for promos, but I much preferred how they used to handle them - available only at a certain event for a WHILE, but put up for Gold Dragon Redemption at some future point. I'm a collector, and while I'm hopeful that I can get my hands on these cards at some point, I'm a little worried that the opportunity will slip by and I'll miss them. Being from out-of-country, it's not easy to make it to these kinds of things.

Ah well, fingers crossed.

Gualdo said:

And if We want a mustang We have to pay double its price so YOU DON'T HAVE CONVINCED ME :-)

Not sure why you'd want to get this, what with the new Camaro being all awesome and such. 

Thursday said:

I'm all for promos, but I much preferred how they used to handle them - available only at a certain event for a WHILE, but put up for Gold Dragon Redemption at some future point. I'm a collector, and while I'm hopeful that I can get my hands on these cards at some point, I'm a little worried that the opportunity will slip by and I'll miss them. Being from out-of-country, it's not easy to make it to these kinds of things.

Remember, that was when the promos were playable cards like the Tyrells and such. 

A little different here.  Everyone can still play the Lanni house card...just not one that is going to be as pretty - AND signed by GRRM!!! - as mine ;)  *snap*

angel.gif

rings said:

Thursday said:

Remember, that was when the promos were playable cards like the Tyrells and such. 

A little different here.  Everyone can still play the Lanni house card...just not one that is going to be as pretty - AND signed by GRRM!!! - as mine ;)  *snap*

angel.gif

Yes, these are the best kind of promos. A lot of card games had promotional cards with alternative art images but the some card texts, card abilities. I think this is probably the best solution to find a way to have some unique stuff for collectors, but also keep the player´s satisfied and save the LCG idea.

Oh, one thing, please FFG  don´t print foil card promos.

Mathias Fricot said:

Thursday, are you canadian?

Indeed I am. Toronto-area.

And yeah, rings, I agree that promos that have aesthetic and not strategic value are the best kind - I just wish they'd be more widely available. It's actually kind of a kick in the pants to collectors when these sort of exclusives pop up because a large number of us simply can't make it out to the event in question.

Remember the GRR Martin Author card that was given out one year? That was an absolute nightmare to track down. Only through the generosity of ktom was I finally able to get a hold of one. I HAD hoped that that sort of situation wouldn't crop up any more.

In any event, I suppose I won't know if this is a problem til after the event itself. And there's always the possibility that FFG will provide another way of acquiring these. I'm just a little wary. And a little weary of the thought of tracking down another group of exclusive promos.

Thursday said:

Remember the GRR Martin Author card that was given out one year? That was an absolute nightmare to track down. Only through the generosity of ktom was I finally able to get a hold of one. I HAD hoped that that sort of situation wouldn't crop up any more.

Oh, jeez...FFG gives that one out like candy.  I had 30 at one time I think... :) 

I understand, but also understand that we should have strong pulls to go to events sponsored by FFG.  People are way too happy to play on OCTGN or in their own areas (and, yes, I know travel can be expensive) - not sure if I would have met as many people in Seattle who played if not for the Tyrell tourney once upon a time...

Wow, really? Yeesh. I dunno if that hurts my point or helps it - the card almost never showed up on trade lists as far as I could tell, despite the ridiculous number they (apparently) gave out, and there were certainly no events in Canada that were blessed with them. Seems it was less a problem of numbers and more a problem of distribution.

In any event, I agree that an incentive like this is a good idea to draw people to the event. I just hope that, unlike the GRRM card, these promos will EVENTUALLY be more widely available.

In case you hadn't noticed, the most recently released Chapter pack will be available for the Days of Ice and Fire

I can't link to the Silence is Deafening article but it is there  in the article.