Sign in to follow this  
peterstepon

So...anyone got Edge of the Abyss yet?

I picked it up in the Spiel in Essen last week.

I have been very impressed so far. there are full writ-ups (with stats and ships) for several rogue traders - including Winterscale and Chorda.

There are lots of things I felt were missing from the core rulebook - stats for the Rak'Gol, Stryxis, Chaos reavers (plus sorcery) and more eldar and Orks along with ships for all - The Ork and Eldar vessels are particularly awesome.

The gazetteers are pretty good and paint some pretty grim planets to explore and exploit.

I've not read the scenario fully yet but it features the Rak'Gol (scary as hell) and the Egarian Dominion.

Unfortunately I could´t attend to Spiel in Essen, so I don´t know if they were selling Edge of the Abyss there. But I found Evidence that the book was actualy there. Have a look at this Flickr picture...

Spiel '10: Impression der Neuheitenschau

(excuse my bad english)

Temudschin said:

Unfortunately I could´t attend to Spiel in Essen, so I don´t know if they were selling Edge of the Abyss there. But I found Evidence that the book was actualy there. Have a look at this Flickr picture...

(excuse my bad english)

So FFG can make it to Spiel in Essen Germany, but cant make it to Origins in Columbus Ohio?

Peacekeeper_b said:

Especially without any announcements on its release.

It's just a pre-release. I imagine they went to Spiel because it's such a mecca for boardgaming, which is a large majority of FFG's profits. They probably just grabbed a few of the preview copies on the way out the door. FWIW, the design doc on Xenos that was posted on Tuesday mentions it'll be in stores sometime next week.

Peacekeeper_b said:

Temudschin said:

(excuse my bad english)

So FFG can make it to Spiel in Essen Germany, but cant make it to Origins in Columbus Ohio?

From what I heard there was a rather bad fallout between FFG and the staff at Origins, which is why they weren't in attendance this year.  I know your pain, I searched high and low for an FFG booth.

I got my copy yesterday.  Showed up in the FLGS.  (I'm in California, USA, by the way.)

Lotsa good stuff in there.  Whole lot of messed up planets to exploit, and some really nasty opponents both human and non.

Cheers,

- V.

guest469 said:

>it features the Rak'Gol (scary as hell) 

Tell us more!

Sorry had no internets for a while - basically the Rak'Gol marauders are like a whole race of near space marine badassery - unnatural strength/toughness, wounds in the 20s, good armour. Their guns are not amazing but can inflict blood loss on you even when you have wounds left.

They are like WFRP Dragon-Ogres, but IN SPAAAAAAAACE!!1!!

Cromwell Bootstrap said:

guest469 said:

>it features the Rak'Gol (scary as hell) 

Tell us more!

Sorry had no internets for a while - basically the Rak'Gol marauders are like a whole race of near space marine badassery - unnatural strength/toughness, wounds in the 20s, good armour. Their guns are not amazing but can inflict blood loss on you even when you have wounds left.

They are like WFRP Dragon-Ogres, but IN SPAAAAAAAACE!!1!!

So they look like the Dragon-Ogres then? So a mutant one could be a stoat?

Spoilers

There is more info on the Saynay and Karad Vall in particular. This guy (who is not given stats disappointingly) appears to have some Chaos marines in tow and looks like he could be an excellent big bad for a campaign. He is possibly searching for something in the expanse which cannot bode well. I'd expect to see more on this chap in future supplements. 

There is a large section containing chaos psyker powers - curses, pain touch, daemon summoning and so forth, all pretty nasty. We also get a guide to sorcery - much rehashed/converted from Dark Heresy but definitely useful and we see stats for a Saynay Sorcerer to show these rules in action.

There are two write-ups for Daemons  - a bladey type assassin favoured by the Saynay for slotting their enemies, dangerous and skilled. However he is eclipsed by the greater Daemon who is a walking nightmare TPK of doom. You better have a missionary with a holy power fist around if this guy gets through the Gellar field.

Finally we get a write up for Sendak Voltrasse, one of Karad Valls unwilling thralls. He is pretty messed up and scary -  a zombie wizard pirate in the worst sense. He has a murder cruiser - the Promise of Sedition that is quite nippy and packs some serious plasma firepower.  

Cromwell Bootstrap said:

Spoilers

Finally we get a write up for Sendak Voltrasse, one of Karad Valls unwilling thralls. He is pretty messed up and scary -  a zombie wizard pirate in the worst sense. He has a murder cruiser - the Promise of Sedition that is quite nippy and packs some serious plasma firepower.  

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NinjaPirateZombieRobot

Oh, thanks for info:) Is it written/implied who are those Chaos Marines? Traitor Legions/Renegades, or even specific warband?

There aren't any Chaos Marines in 'Edge of the Abyss' but that's why i've got Deathwatch. Actually, i'm using 'Edge of the Abyss' very much as a Deathwatch sourcebook. Killing Morgaash Kulgraz on board Da Wurldbreaka is a Deathwatch mission if ever there was one.

Having Sorcery rules for the Rogue Trader/Deathwatch psyker system was welcome but there's a glaring omission. In Dark Heresy, warp sorcery can be used to 'Turbo Boost' psyker abilities. For example, if you are already a Psyker and you gain the Sorcerer talent, you get a +1 to your Psy Rating, +2 if you learn Master Sorcerer.

In 'Edge of the Abyss' this is missing, either by accident or intentionally, and that's a pain in the arse. Personally, i'm going to houserule that existing Psykers  get the +1 or +2 bonus as above. That way, I can portray those pesky Traitor Marine Chaos Sorcerers! I'm hoping that the Sorcery rules for Deathwatch, when they eventually appear, will reinstate this properly.

Other than that I find the book to be a good source of inspiration 'though a bit short at 144 pages. I thought it was supposed to be 256 pages? The Rogue Trader version of Disciples of the Dark Gods this isn't and there are annoying omissions. For instance, Rak Gol Abominations are mentioned more than once but we don't get the stats for those. I expect that'll be in the Xenos book coming out next year but it would be nice if that had been mentioned in a sidebar.

>Dragon-Ogres

Dragon Ogres are giant. Is there any resemblance between the Rak'Gol and the centauroid Zoats?

>"He has a murder cruiser - the Promise of Sedition that is quite nippy and packs some serious plasma firepower. "

What weapon mounts does it have? 

Are there any new ship classes statted? This could be a sneak peek into what Battlefleet Koronus has in store for us!

guest469 said:

>Dragon-Ogres

Dragon Ogres are giant. Is there any resemblance between the Rak'Gol and the centauroid Zoats?

>"He has a murder cruiser - the Promise of Sedition that is quite nippy and packs some serious plasma firepower. "

What weapon mounts does it have? 

Are there any new ship classes statted? This could be a sneak peek into what Battlefleet Koronus has in store for us!

They are pretty large (2.5m, 175 kg) and have 8 appendages and can alter their stance to use between 4 and 8 limbs for moving about. Possibly a little too insectoid for zoats and their background hints strongly at a Yu'Vath connection putting them in the Chaosy camp I reckon.

The murder has the same mounts as the Lunar (Prow and 2xD/S). We only get the stats for the completed vessel rather than the base hull numbers but with a bit of number crunching and some guestimating you should be able to get ballparks for the Avenger grand cruiser, Murder cruiser, the Ignis class cruiser and the Exchequer class merchant as well as a bunch of xeno vessels.  

Looking forward to Battlefleet Koronus. The missionary-turned-inquisitor in my game is trying to put a fleet together, call it Battlefleet Koronus and use it as the stepping stone to declaring the Koronus sector with the lord-captain as governor and himself whispering behind the throne. Ambition does know no bounds. Stats for winterscale will definitely be useful....

Mjoellnir said:

What exactly is there about Eldar? 

We get a craftworld (Kaelor) with a darker than normal background - a recent civil war harking back to the excesses of the fall. There is a big writeup on the Twilight Swords who appear to be pirates primarily from Kaelor or at least loosely allied with the craftworld. There are stats for a Twilight Swords leader who is a pretty lethal void-swashbuckler as well as a whole page devoted to the memory of lament - a tricked out eldar light cruiser which is the ultimate glass cannon - in theory it could close to point blank with an imperial cruiser starting from outside the cruisers range and then one shot the poor lunar class with some good rolls on its pulsar lances.

There is a little bit on the children of thorns who appear to be spiky dark eldar pirates.

We see more on the Crow Spirits who seem to be independent operators who fight everyone dark eldar, not-dark eldar, humans etc. and have some kind of goal related to an ancient menace that feels a lot like the necrons. We are in the Halo stars after all. We also get stats for a Crow spirit badass who is even more badass than the previous swashbuckler. Could have used a psyker perhaps but might have taken up too much space.

Finall there are some ideas for endeavours and misfortunes relating to the eldar.